Windows 10: Problems updating video driver on windows 10

Discus and support Problems updating video driver on windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently Microsoft was encoraging us to upgrade to windows 10. I resisted, and my computer is still at windows 7, but my wife allowed them to upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pfarrell, Apr 20, 2017.

1. pfarrell Win User

Problems updating video driver on windows 10

Recently Microsoft was encoraging us to upgrade to windows 10. I resisted, and my computer is still at windows 7, but my wife allowed them to upgrade her computer to windows 10. She hasn't had many issues since, but recently she noticed that it crashed from time to time. The screen would go black ( no display ), and had to be rebooted.I tried to research this, and discovered that there were problems with the windows 10 drivers for the video. I told her that we could try upgrading the driver.I Started by taking a recovery point. I discovered that recovery was not turned on, so I turned it on, and took a recovery point. Then I went to Device Manager, and found the driver for the NVIDIA display. I clicked on update, and it downloaded and updated the driver. It then requested a reboot, which I did. However the computer didn't come up properly. AFter displaying the windows logo, we then say a circle of stars, and nothing further happened, no mater how long we waited.I decided to back it off. First I had to learn how to go to safe mode. Instead of hitting F8 during reboot, you now have to reboot 3 times, and power off at just the right moment during the reboot ( who would have guessed this ? ). I tried to run restore, but it failed with code 80070091. In researching this I discovered that this is a bug, and I had to rename folder c:\Program Files\WindowsApps. I Was not authorized to do this, and had to learn how to make changes to security. Finally, I renamed it to c:\Program Files\WindowsAppsOld. I then ran restore again. This time it ran a lot longer ( Which I thought was a good sign ), and finally failed with a code 80070002. I rebooted, and this time it came up further, but after the initial screen, it pounded on the disk for what seemed like 10 minutes, and finally came up, and said that restore was successful. So after 4 hours of playing "geek" I was back to where I started. I realize that some people may enjoy doing this kind of thing, personally I don't. I am no expert at this.What I would like to know is:- What went wrong with the initial attempt to update the video driver ?- How can I update the video driver ( successfuly ) ?- Will an update of the video driver fix the problem of occasional crashing ?Also, I'm wondering why windows restore is not as simple as it should be.

:)

pfarrell, Apr 20, 2017
  2. Bob Taves Win User

CD/DVD drive shows any disc as containing no files

Following up on my last update for the video drivers. I was not able to install any of the Windows 8.1 Intel video drivers since Windows 10 did not see them as valid for the hardware. To be clear, no version
    of the Intel video drivers available for Windows 10 (as of this post) resolved the issue.

My temporary work-around to this problem is to just leave the "Standard VGA" driver loaded since this PC will only be used for day to day desktop work and it allows a reasonable resolution. I expected to have a problem with Windows 10 forcing the update
    over and over but after removing the Intel video driver two or three times Windows stopped updating it. I tried the troubleshooter found

here
    to "hide" the video driver update but it was not even listed as an option to hide.

Hopefully Intel or Microsoft release a fix in a future update to resolve this properly.

Bob Taves, Apr 20, 2017
  3. problems with windows 10 and google chrome

since loading windows 10 i have seen a number of frustrating issues when using google chrome which i have never had before. The most frustrating of these (i have a touch screen laptop) is if i drag the cursor over the screen it resizes either larger or
    smaller which is not what i want. Not a techie so whilst i have tried to fix it looking at other issues i have still not been successful - any ideas how i can fix this please?

windows 10 problems, Apr 20, 2017
  4. Problems updating video driver on windows 10

Check your Reliability History------ctrl pnl>security and maintenance>maintenance.If the red flagged items only give you "Check for a solution" option,then RIGHT click on it then left click on "View tech details".This will give you a data page and you can use the lines:
    Problem event name
    Code
    Bucket ID
    to search for a solution through Microsoft and the web.Be aware that because of the infinite variation of hardware/software combinations there is no universal fix.With Nvidea,it is often "nvlddmkm.sys" which causes the problem.
    Download the latest driver from Nvidea,
    Use display driver uninstaller to remove all Nvidea parts,then install using the custom selection.
    Then use Macrium Reflect Free to clone/image as often as possible.

joeandmarg0, Apr 21, 2017
Thema:

Problems updating video driver on windows 10

1. Problems updating video driver on windows 10 - Similar Threads - Problems updating video

2. Windows update and Intel video driver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update and Intel video driver: I have a Dell XPS-8940 with a built in Intel UHD Graphics 750 video display adapter using Windows 11 Pro. Prior to the 22H2 update, Intel's Driver and Support Assistant updated my video driver to 31.0.101. The next day the driver was rolled back to 27.20 without any action on...
  3. Windows update and Intel video driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update and Intel video driver: I have a Dell XPS-8940 with a built in Intel UHD Graphics 750 video display adapter using Windows 11 Pro. Prior to the 22H2 update, Intel's Driver and Support Assistant updated my video driver to 31.0.101. The next day the driver was rolled back to 27.20 without any action on...
  4. Problem with Video driver's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Video driver's: hei, i upgreidet win 10 from win 8, and installed new video ge force driver, but i have problem with 3d visualization and dont know what need to do, any can help? when be windows 8 all games worked good.[ATTACH]...
  5. Windows update causes video card driver problem directx3d not working properly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update causes video card driver problem directx3d not working properly: System: ASUS Zenbook UX305LA BIOS: UX305LA.206 Windows version: Windows 10 Pro 64bit 10.0, 1909 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202 Windows build: 18363.752 Video card: Intel HD 5500 Video card driver: 20.19.15.4549, 11/10/2016, Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility...
  6. Windows 10 update driver/resolution problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 update driver/resolution problem: Ok so here's a problem I don't know how to begin to solve and neither did microsoft so here's to hoping the community can help. So I made the mistake of updating windows 10 again which I forgot **** up my graphics drivers every time. Basically now when I connect my desktop...
  7. windows update smashes video drivers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update smashes video drivers: I use a 33" Sony Bravia as my prime monitor. Often (about 1 in 3) Windows Update corrupts my video driver, so that the desktop is stretched slightly larger than the actual screen. No amount of adjusting and fiddling can alter it. So I contacted MS support (first time) and a...
  8. Windows 10 Update wants to install a new video driver

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Update wants to install a new video driver: So I checked my available updates this morning to find that Windows 10 has downloaded and wants to install the "latest" video driver for my Radeon 7700. I have used AMD Auto Detect and it tells me I have the latest driver (15.7.1) I have used the instructions on this web...
  9. Video driver problem

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Video driver problem: I did a fresh install of W10 on a new hard drive and everything went OK. But, I get a lot of the spinning blue circle, frozen screen and "not responding", it happens all the time and I think it is a problem with my Radeon HD 6530D on-board video. I would like to install a...
  10. HP Pavilion dv6 Windows 10 video driver problem

in Windows 10 Support
    HP Pavilion dv6 Windows 10 video driver problem: I recently successfully upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in this HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC laptop. Once it boots up, the PC does fine, but when booting up, I get a black screen for 1 1/2 minutes. I believe it is a video driver issue. I went to HP.com looking for a...