Windows 10: Problems upgrading old laptop from 1607 to 1703

Discus and support Problems upgrading old laptop from 1607 to 1703 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm having problems upgrading my old laptop, which was happily running version 1607, to version 1703. Any ideas what I should try next? When I say... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DavidY, Apr 27, 2017.

1. DavidY Win User

Problems upgrading old laptop from 1607 to 1703

I'm having problems upgrading my old laptop, which was happily running version 1607, to version 1703. Any ideas what I should try next? When I say "old" laptop... it came with XP, but has run Windows 8, 8.1, 10 Preview, and versions of Windows 10 up to 1607.

So far I've tried this:
    • Download the ISO from the Media Creation Toolkit (MCT), mount it within Windows and run Setup within 1607. This seemed to work but when I got it started, it wouldn't connect to the network, either via WiFi or ethernet cable. But no yellow triangles in Device Manager (and all the drivers were working in 1607, as far as I know). I reverted back to 1607, which seemed to complete successfully.
    • Download a fresh installer from the MCT again, this time using the MCT to create a USB, booting from that, deleting the old C: and reserved partitions within Setup, and clean installing. This ends up with circling dots, after the Getting Started message, but it doesn't get to OOBE; the dots keep circling.
    • Take the above installer, extract the WIM file from the ESD with DISM, add some of the trickier drivers (previously saved with DISM) and then put it back to an ESD and run the USB installer again. Same result as (2) (which was better than I expected to be honest, given I'm not sure this is a recommended route- don't try this one at home, kids)
    In both (2) and (3), if I press Shift-F10 and try a few commands, I can see there is some sort of running operating system, with System taking most of the CPU, but it never seems to get anywhere.
    From (3), running Device Manager from command line again shows no yellow triangles or unknown devices.

I have a Macrium backup of it running 1607, which I can revert to if need be (at least as a medium-term measure; I know 1607 will eventually go out of support), but I don't want to let 1703 beat me! And I really don't want to revert to Windows 8.1, which seemingly will be supported longer.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

:)

DavidY, Apr 27, 2017
  2. G Lally Win User

Windows 10 upgrade to 1703

Hi, we are a second level school in Ireland (ages 12 - 18) with 30 desktops, and 25 laptops, in a school computer lab.

We have a VLSC licence . I used the images from VLSC to clean install Windows 10 (v.1607) on all our machines successfully.

Now the desktops will not upgrade from v.1607 to v.1703 - they end up in a permanent loop, never finishing.

But the laptops are upgrading from v.1607 to v.1703 without any problems.

I am told our licence is an upgrade licence - but the clean installs worked on all machines & the upgrades are ok on the laptops.

One other observation is that Windows is starting to take up large amounts of space on some desktop hard drives.

I could disable updates, but I would prefer not if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Ger Lally.

G Lally, Apr 27, 2017
  3. Andy54321 Win User
    Still no creators update

I have a Toshiba Satellite P50-C-12z (PSPTSE) laptop running Win 10 1607.

I have never been offered the 1703 update.

I am aware Toshiba's had an issue with a display utility which I have now uninstalled.

Now in November I am still not being offered the 1703 update, I can no longer even manually trigger the 1703 update as it has been replaced by 1709.

I don't want to manually trigger 1709 if there is a possibility my laptop is incompatible.

Toshiba's compatibility lists don't include my Laptop, but then it doesn't include it for 1607 either so its not very reliable.

Will I ever get the 1703/1709 update?

I am getting nervous that my laptop will be obsolete in March 2018 if 1607 support ends as planned and I can't upgrade.

It is only 2 years old so I will not be impressed.

Andy54321, Apr 27, 2017
  4. bobkn Win User

Tell us about your hardware. (Make/model, at least.) If it needs drivers, that will help locate them.

bobkn, Apr 27, 2017
  5. DavidY Win User
    It's an Acer Aspire 5633.
    I haven't found recent drivers on the Acer website, but using the drivers which it had with 1607, I can't see anything obviously missing in Device Manager.

DavidY, Apr 27, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Can you gain anything by using the troubleshooter (e.g. rt click tray icon) or using just the relevant repair in Tweaking.com's free cautious repair tool?

dalchina, Apr 27, 2017
  7. DavidY Win User
    Possibly. Although I'll need to get it going again first, clean install seemingly isn't getting to a normal running installation.

Unless there are command-line methods of running those tools which I might be able to run?

DavidY, Apr 27, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

As the clean install is failing, I would check the disk first (basic) e.g. using Kyhi's boot DVD/flash drive from the top of the software and apps section here (Win 10 environment) and run HDtune which is on the disk.

Then for a failed installation you could have a look at the logs.

dalchina, Apr 27, 2017
  9. According to the specs of your Acer Aspire 5633 it has 1GB of DDR2 ram !

How much ram do you have ?

RoadBlaster, Apr 27, 2017
  10. DavidY Win User
    Ah yes I did upgrade it to 4GB at some point.
    (Although 1GB is in theory enough for 32-bit Windows 10, which is all I'm trying to run on it.)

DavidY, Apr 27, 2017
  11. DavidY Win User
    Where do I find logs after a clean install?
    My suspicion is that the disk is OK because it ran 1607 OK when I reverted it. Plus creating the Macrium image (in fact 2, as I have an image of the non-working 1703 upgrade too) didn't cause any errors to show.

But I'll check up with those tools later/over the weekend.

DavidY, Apr 27, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 27, 2017
  13. Mooly Win User

This sounds very like the issues I encounter with my old Acer 9301. Like you, it came with XP, I got the free Vista upgrade and ran that for many years. Then 8, 8.1 and Ten in various forms.

Ten is a problem. The installation gets almost to the end and then freezes with the circling dots progressing slowly and jerkily. From that point and if I leave things I can get to a normal desktop but it takes around 5 hours. The problem for me is the Atheros WifI driver that Ten installs by default. It locks the system up with excessive interrupts. Once I have the desktop up I can go into device manager and disable the Atheros driver. That restores normality and I can then install a working driver.

I run the 32 bit versions on the Acer. The anniversary update seemed to cause lots of disk thrashing and a generally poor user experience, its sluggish. The creators update I have failed to install. I've actually reverted to Vista again on that laptop and it runs like a dream all things considered, so much more snappy than Ten. Its really to old and the lack of driver support is crippling for it.

If your is an Atheros 5005G (I think thts how it shows in device manager) then I have a 32 bit WifI driver and also an NVidia graphics driver for the GeForce Go 6100 card.

Mooly, Apr 27, 2017
  14. DavidY Win User
    Thanks for that.
    The "circling dots progressing slowly" sounds very similar to what I'm getting, and it's possible that if I'd not been impatient and left it to run for a few more hours, it would have got to the desktop for me too - that's another thing for me to try.

How did you identify which driver was causing the excessive interrupts?

I'm pretty sure the WiFi is Intel and not Atheros on my laptop , but I like the theory that it's a driver issue.

Thanks for the kind offer - I'll have a look over the weekend but I'm 99% sure it isn't an Atheros driver on this one.

DavidY, Apr 27, 2017
  15. Mooly Win User
    It was trial and error. Once I could open task manager (and that takes about 5 minutes) I could see it was the interrupts causing the 99% CPU usage that was locking things up.

From there it was just trial and error although Wi-Fi seemed to be the only driver that got installed.

You have to be prepared to allow it lots of time to action anything to attempt this. For example make sure that you hold a mouse click for say 2 to 3 seconds to ensure it gets picked up. Then just wait for the action to occur. A couple of minutes or more to even begin to open device manager. Same again to open network adapters and so on. Just do one operation at once and wait.

I remember now, it stalls at the point it asks you to set up a user name and connect to a network. It timed out on the connecting stage. From then on the 'getting a few things ready' section takes a few hours to complete.

For me, the latest W10 versions run so poorly on the Acer that I haven't pursued it further. I tried the 64 bit version and that won't install at all although the laptop is x64 capable.

Good luck *Smile

Mooly, Apr 28, 2017
Thema:

1. Problems upgrading old laptop from 1607 to 1703 - Similar Threads - Problems upgrading old

2. Update from 1607 to 1703

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update from 1607 to 1703: It always says: "Your PC will restart several times", but it never does! It just fails. I wish Microsoft would fix this problem. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/update-from-1607-to-1703/66aff660-0565-44b6-b58f-c3fb58717e3c
  3. Cant update to 1703 from 1607

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cant update to 1703 from 1607: I got a popup saying the next windows is here & click to set up & never came for over a month now. I herd 1703 had fixed for the nvidia nvstor.sys blue screen fixes. How can you force this upgrade through windows updates? My other systems worked. 89268
  4. User master after upgrade from 1607 to 1703

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User master after upgrade from 1607 to 1703: Hi, after i upgraded my notebook from 1607 to 1703 i asks for the password of the user master after every boot/reboot. i can't find this user in the user database. How can i delete this user account? Thanks, Peter 94841
  5. Network Sharing - 1607 -> 1703

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Sharing - 1607 -> 1703: Hello all, I have a customer that is having issues with his network sharing. He has 2 laptops that he has setup for network sharing. Everything was functioning until today, which was when one of his laptops upgraded and installed the Creators Update. While on his 1607...
  6. Downgrading from 1703 to 1607 (no windows.old)

Downgrading from 1703 to 1607 (no windows.old): Hi, I'm having problems with the 1703 version of Windows, my laptop simply hates it: long story short, everything loads up extremely slow, games have low FPS and so on. I just want to get back to 1607. Problem is, the last time I installed Windows (back in May I believe), it...
  7. Update from 1607 to 1703 failing (again!)

Update from 1607 to 1703 failing (again!): If you look up my threads, you'll find that last winter going from 1511 to a properly working 1607 proved impossible after seven tries, so I cleared the system SSD, disconnected all the other HDD/SSD's and did a clean reinstall. Well, same thing is happening with 1611 to...
  8. Upgrade from 1607 to 1703, error 0xc1900104

Upgrade from 1607 to 1703, error 0xc1900104: I read online it could indicate that the System Reserved partition ran out of space. Checking the file "C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log" I found this line: 2017-07-29 20:04:54, Info CONX CFreeSystemPartitionDiskSpaceChecker: checked...
  9. Dual Boot 1607 and 1703

Dual Boot 1607 and 1703: So when version 1703 aka Creators update finally came through last night on my 12 yr old Dell Pentium 4 desktop, WiFi took a major shit. Whatever I did, including remove and install, I couldn't get the internal D-link DWA-566 or a Linksys USB adapter to work, both of which...
  10. 1607 to 1703 question?

1607 to 1703 question?: Is it worth the upgrade, and how much bigger is 1703 update ? Running out of room Thanks Gary 87625