Windows 10: Problems using Microsoft Print to PDF with Dropbox folders

Discus and support Problems using Microsoft Print to PDF with Dropbox folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Lately when I try to use the Microsoft Print to PDF feature in Windows 10, it is unable to save to any Dropbox folder. It creates the file but it is 0... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by IsaacFL, Sep 7, 2015.

1. IsaacFL Win User

Problems using Microsoft Print to PDF with Dropbox folders

Lately when I try to use the Microsoft Print to PDF feature in Windows 10, it is unable to save to any Dropbox folder. It creates the file but it is 0 size. I can print in any folder other than Dropbox. I can print it to my desktop then copy the resulting file to Dropbox, but unable to print directly.

This had worked in the past, but just noticed it within the last few days.

There is no error that shows up to let you know it failed either. So unless you try to open the file, or notice the 0 file size you will assume it printed ok.

This also occurs with the printer "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" so it is not just the PDF.

This only occurs with my user account. 2 other accounts on the same machine do not have the same issue. So probably permissions issue somewhere?

:)

IsaacFL, Sep 7, 2015

2. PDF won't print

I can't get my desktop to print pdf pages. it prints anything else. I tried Goggle Chrome and Microsoft Edge.

I have gotten around the problem by sending the PDF to DropBox. Then I pull up DropBox on my iPhone and print it wirelessly to my printer.

A lot of work but I can find no other way.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures]

Bruce.Adams, Sep 7, 2015
  3. JammerPro Win User
    Unable to print a Microsoft Edge webpage to PDF using adobe acrobat

Use Chrome... The response from Microsoft and Adobe to this severe printing problem is disturbing to say the least.

Simply put, Microsoft Edge will not allow print to PDF with Adobe Acrobat. This means that you cannot save a web page to PDF with Adobe Acrobat or Reader printers from Edge.

If you use Microsoft print to PDF, you cannot select the folder to place the PDF. Microsoft selects the root of your Document folder.

Adobe print to PDF in Chrome works... but then again, Chrome has it's own print to PDF which let's the user select the folder to place the result.

I wish Microsoft was more responsive to the needs of us users. Shame on you Microsoft...

JammerPro, Sep 7, 2015
  4. IsaacFL Win User

I did find this error in the event log:

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-PrintService
    Date: 9/7/2015 7:38:11 PM
    Event ID: 372
    Task Category: Printing a document
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic Spooler Event,Document Print Job
    User: DESKTOP-ISAAC\rcoat
    Computer: DESKTOP-ISAAC
    Description:
    The document Print Document, owned by rcoat, failed to print on printer Microsoft Print to PDF. Try to print the document again, or restart the print spooler.
    Data type: RAW. Size of the spool file in bytes: 262144. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 2. Number of pages printed: 0. Client computer: \\DESKTOP-ISAAC. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 1801. The printer name is invalid.

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-PrintService" Guid="{747EF6FD-E535-4D16-B510-42C90F6873A1}" />
    <EventID>372</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>26</Task>
    <Opcode>12</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000840</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-09-08T02:38:11.470273100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>149</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="1692" ThreadID="5540" />
    <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-ISAAC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2161939095-3448053643-2152722755-1002" />
    </System>
    <UserData>
    <PrintOnProcFailedEd xmlns="http://manifests.microsoft.com/win/2005/08/windows/printing/spooler/core/events">
    <Param1>Print Document</Param1>
    <Param2>rcoat</Param2>
    <Param3>Microsoft Print to PDF</Param3>
    <Param4>RAW</Param4>
    <Param5>262144</Param5>
    <Param6>0</Param6>
    <Param7>2</Param7>
    <Param8>0</Param8>
    <Param9>\\DESKTOP-ISAAC</Param9>
    <Param10>1801</Param10>
    <Param11>The printer name is invalid.
    </Param11>
    </PrintOnProcFailedEd>
    </UserData>
    </Event>

IsaacFL, Sep 7, 2015
  5. IsaacFL Win User
    What I did that fixed it was to Unlink dropbox in the problem account. deleted dropbox folder, then relinked dropbox, which created the folder again and populated it from online.

IsaacFL, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problems using Microsoft Print to PDF with Dropbox folders - Similar Threads - Problems using Microsoft

2. What is the type of PDF used in Microsoft print to PDF

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    What is the type of PDF used in Microsoft print to PDF: I have attended a webinar on digital signatures and documents. The presented stated to archive documents they should be in PDF/A. Does Microsoft print to PDF use this format, or is there a way to do that?...
  3. What is the type of PDF used in Microsoft print to PDF

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the type of PDF used in Microsoft print to PDF: I have attended a webinar on digital signatures and documents. The presented stated to archive documents they should be in PDF/A. Does Microsoft print to PDF use this format, or is there a way to do that?...
  4. What is the type of PDF used in Microsoft print to PDF

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Monochrome PDF using Microsoft print to PDF

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monochrome PDF using Microsoft print to PDF: Is it possible to print monochrome - grayscale PDF form "Microsoft print to PDF" virtual printer?And how to set that.RegardsH Misic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monochrome-pdf-using-microsoft-print-to-pdf/7acd6734-8e76-4fc1-9029-e58eefdbe263
  6. Monochrome PDF using Microsoft print to PDF

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monochrome PDF using Microsoft print to PDF: Is it possible to print monochrome - grayscale PDF form "Microsoft print to PDF" virtual printer?And how to set that.RegardsH Misic https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/monochrome-pdf-using-microsoft-print-to-pdf/7acd6734-8e76-4fc1-9029-e58eefdbe263
  7. Monochrome PDF using Microsoft print to PDF

8. printing PDF FOLDERS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    printing PDF FOLDERS: PRINTER WONT PRINT PDF FOLDERS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printing-pdf-folders/6285b9e6-68d2-47c9-8a44-015436a5b6f8
  9. Microsoft Edge print to pdf problem

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge print to pdf problem: I need to save some webpages to pdf. I tried a Firefox extension Save as PDF, but that adds the company name to every page (fair enough - it's freeware). So I tried Microsoft Edge print to pdf function. Works OK, but for some reason, Edge adds a watermark of sorts 'Skip...
  10. Microsoft Print To PDF problem

Microsoft Print To PDF problem: This problem showed up on its own, not just after installing anything nor any updates. And the problem is with the Microsoft Print to PDF AND the Microsoft Print to XPS. I can print to a network printer OK. I cannot print to the "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer from any...