Windows 10: Problems when creating URL shortcuts on the desktop

Discus and support Problems when creating URL shortcuts on the desktop in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; It has always been easy to create a shortcut to a URL on the Windows desktop using the following procedure: 1. Copy the URL from the browser address... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Paultx, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Paultx Win User

Problems when creating URL shortcuts on the desktop

It has always been easy to create a shortcut to a URL on the Windows desktop using the following procedure:

1. Copy the URL from the browser address bar
    2. Use the mouse context menu on the desktop
    3. Choose New> Shortcut from the menu
    4. Paste the URL into the field
    5. Name the shortcut

NB: I'm not talking about creating a shortcut through the Chrome menu, but only by the procedure above. When the shortcut is created via Chrome (default browser), it works correctly.

It also doesn't work OK if I select and drag the URL to the desktop (another easy way to do that), the same with Maxthon, Edge, and IE. BTW these latter two browsers let me select the URL only, but I can't drag it, when I try to do this the selection is lost.

I checked on the Chrome forum to see if the problem came from this browser, but other guys with the same version both of Chrome and Windows 10 Pro had no such trouble, and one said that maybe Windows is the culprit.

The problem: Chrome now opens the shortcut by displaying a local address on the navigation bar, not the page URL anymore – nor the page itself.

To give you an example, I created a shortcut that way for the Kindle for PC upgrade page. But by clicking the shortcut to open it in Chrome, the result is as follows.

URL in the address bar:

file: /// C: /Users/Paulo/Desktop/Kindle%20PC.url

And the content on this page shows the following:

[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
    Prop3 = 19.11
    [InternetShortcut]
    IDList =
    URL = https: //www.amazon.com.br/gp/digital/fiona/kcp-landing-page

To go to the correct address, I have to copy the URL of the last line and paste it into the navigation bar... Only then I can reach the desired destination.

But – attention, please! – strangely enough, if I drag this or other "defective" URL shortcut from the desktop into Chrome or Maxthon (not Edge), they open the pages correctly!

Now I believe there is something wrong in the way the desktop works with browsers in the latest versions of Windows 10. But... is it only on my PC?

Any ideas on what is all that? TIA.

:)

Paultx, Nov 16, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

shortcut has been changed or moved

No problem.

Locate the executable file (usually ends in .exe) that starts your payroll program. You'll probably find it inside the C:\Program Files (x86) folder. If you need help finding the file, the payroll program's technical support will help you.

Then, create a shortcut to the program on your desktop:

How to create desktop shortcut in Windows 10/8/7

BulldogXX, Nov 16, 2017
  3. Andre Da Costa, Nov 16, 2017
  4. Problems when creating URL shortcuts on the desktop

Hi Paultx.

Just used your procedure and it worked fine on my V1709 desktop.

I think you have a file association issue, remember dealing with something like this not all that long ago.

Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps > Choose default apps by file type. Find URL file type. It should be set to Internet Browser.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 16, 2017
  5. Paultx Win User
    That did it, problem solved! Thank you very much, Ken!

Paultx, Nov 16, 2017
  6. No problem. Glad the forum could help.

If you have time click the thumbs up in the lower left of a volunteer post.

Take care.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problems when creating URL shortcuts on the desktop

1. Problems when creating URL shortcuts on the desktop - Similar Threads - Problems creating URL

2. I have created a GPO to create a URL Shortcut on Desktop but it is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have created a GPO to create a URL Shortcut on Desktop but it is not working: Dear Support,I have created a URL Shortcut GPO to create a URL based shortcut on desktop but its not working on old profiles. Kindly guide me why is it not working for old user Profiles. I have logged-on the with this new Profile:Kindly guide me.Thanks....
  3. I have created a GPO to create a URL Shortcut on Desktop but it is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have created a GPO to create a URL Shortcut on Desktop but it is not working: Dear Support,I have created a URL Shortcut GPO to create a URL based shortcut on desktop but its not working on old profiles. Kindly guide me why is it not working for old user Profiles. I have logged-on the with this new Profile:Kindly guide me.Thanks....
  4. Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..: I prefer some of my desktop short cuts for browser URLs to open as separate windows to provide more of seperate APP feel vs a new browser TAB. I'm using Google Chrome Version 111.0.5563.147 Official Build 64-bit to accomplish that , creating short cuts and checking the box to...
  5. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  6. URL shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    URL shortcut: How do you create a desktop shortcut to a URL? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/url-shortcut/69caf9fd-eb33-4320-8bd4-10f73cb13790
  7. How to pin 'url' shortcut created from the desktop to the taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to pin 'url' shortcut created from the desktop to the taskbar: Hi, I've used the following steps to create a shortcut to the windows display settings page however there is no option to right click -> pin to taskbar or to just drag the shortcut there (a red circle with a cross appears when I hover it over the taskbar) 1: Right clicked...
  8. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  9. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345
  10. Desktop shortcuts go to wrong url.

in Browsers and Email
    Desktop shortcuts go to wrong url.: Hello, Opera is my default browser. Recently my desktop shortcuts will not open. If I double click on BBC Home News for example I am taken to file:///C:/Users/Romeo/Desktop/BBC%20News%20-%20Home.URL. ( Not Home - BBC News. I just get a white page with a typewritten message...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. issue desktop shortcut .url