Windows 10: Problems win 10 after a change in folder read settings

Discus and support Problems win 10 after a change in folder read settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Following instructions from a game manufacturer I changed the 'read only' settings for users / documents folder. Win 10 now disfunctions (instable,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by armona22, Sep 26, 2015.

1. armona22 Win User

Problems win 10 after a change in folder read settings

Following instructions from a game manufacturer I changed the 'read only' settings for users / documents folder. Win 10 now disfunctions (instable, search unavailable, chrome closing incorrectly, etc). How should I proceed to restore the folder settings without restoring windows completely?

:)

armona22, Sep 26, 2015
  2. FishLevin Win User

Fonts folder appears nearly empty, but fonts are actually there

A few days ago, after starting up (Win 8.1), the system font had changed (filenames, menus, title bars, etc.) to something that looked like Impact (very narrow and difficult to read).

Looking in the Task Manager, I noticed the Disk performance pinned at 100%. I did some research, changed the settings on that, fixed that problem. But after restart, the system font was now Scriptina (very ornate, much more difficult to read).

Ran a full scan of everything, all clean.

When i open the Fonts folder, it says at the bottom that there are 20 files. When I right-click on the folder and look in Properties, it shows that there are over 3000 files, which is the correct amount.

Went to a repair shop, the first thing they suggested is to upgrade to Win 10. We did. No change. Now they want to re-install the system, but I really don't want to do that.

With the technician we opened my laptop, took the drive out, plugged it into another machine as an external drive : it can see my Fonts folder content normally. We renamed that folder, then copied the tech's own Fonts folder onto my drive and put it back
    into my laptop. Same problem : the computer shows a weird font as the system font, and the Fonts folder appears as nearly empty.

So the problem is clearly with the way the system is reading that folder. The folder itself is fine.

Late last night, the tech called me to say they fixed the problem. But after restart, the problem came back again.

Running Win10, on a nearly brand-new HP NoteBook. I am the administrator.

Hope someone had the same issue, and I hope the solution is NOT to reinstall the system.

FishLevin, Sep 26, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - Cannot adjust theme settings

All Windows system folders are Read Only, but you should be able to create new files inside that folder. The OS is not going to let you change that attribute (nor should you) because it may result in system instability. System folders are set Read Only to
    prevent accidental (or intentional) renaming or deletion.

If you check a Windows 7 machine at the same location (%systemroot%\media) you will find the Sound Theme folders and they too are Read Only. You should be able to Copy and Paste data into those folders though. I just tested it on my Win 10 machine and it
    worked. If you can connect to a machine across your network that has the files you want, try copying them to you Win 10 computer.

I am surprised that there was nothing in the themes folders, because my Win 10 PC has files in those folders. I did upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro so that may be how the folders got populated with files. I just tested copying files from a Win 7 machine
    to the Win 10 machine and it worked so give it a try.

MD Tech MCP, Sep 26, 2015
  4. armona22 Win User

Th most urgent problem is that the 'search' fuction (Windows 10 Pro) no longer works, no matter how I shake or dance. I still beleive it has something to do with a change in the permissions to the documents folder, but I am afraid to just start fiddling around.

armona22, Sep 26, 2015
Thema:

1. Problems win 10 after a change in folder read settings - Similar Threads - Problems change folder

2. Booting problems after changing settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting problems after changing settings: How it started: i did a clean boot and I might have accidentally switched off a microsoft process or changes a booting setting, and then I loaded into a window saying error: bad system info. Whenever I continued Where the menu says advanced options or turn the pc off, I tried...
  3. Booting problems after changing settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting problems after changing settings: How it started: i did a clean boot and I might have accidentally switched off a microsoft process or changes a booting setting, and then I loaded into a window saying error: bad system info. Whenever I continued Where the menu says advanced options or turn the pc off, I tried...
  4. Booting problems after changing settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. All Win 10 files and folders set to read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Win 10 files and folders set to read only: All the files and folders on my laptop are set to readonly even new ones I've created myself. There are a number of questions about this on the forum already and I've followed the instructions for setting permissions at admin level and ensuring all folders inherit the...
  6. Win 10 activation problem after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 activation problem after motherboard change: Hi, I have just replaced ONLY the motherboard of my system (Win 10 Pro 1809) and could not activate with error code 0xC004F213. I have already linked my Microsoft account with the activation status showing "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your...
  7. Win 10 Documents Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 Documents Folder Problem: Hi, I have what appears to be a very difficult problem. I used LapLink PC Mover Professional to move my files and programs from my desktop PC to my Surface Pro 3 laptop. In the process my This PC>Document folder became locked up with the OneDrive > Mucic folder in that a...
  8. Problems activating Win 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems activating Win 10 after hardware change: I purchased an HP Win 8.1 desktop about 3 years ago, was great till Win 10 downloaded then had lots of problems everytime I booted up, losing adapter settings, time outs, BSOD etc, I got totally fed up and finally just stopped using it as it was in a continuous cycle of...
  9. Folders read-only after motherboard change...

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders read-only after motherboard change...: Following a motherboard change this morning all my folders are now read-only causing problems with some programmes. If I go to the properties for a folder and uncheck read-only box including sub-folders and files it appears to work but next time I look the box is checked...
  10. Windows 10 Upgrade Set All Folders to Read Only and Can't Change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Upgrade Set All Folders to Read Only and Can't Change: I am desperately needing help. I have a desktop PC that I built (ASUS motherboard, Intel i3 (first generation), Nvidia graphics card, 500 GB WD HD. It ran Windows 7 Pro. I upgraded to Windows 10 last week. Since then all the options in several of my programs (SpeedCommander,...