Windows 10: Problems with bootloader in multi-boot setup

Discus and support Problems with bootloader in multi-boot setup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, all. I'm triple-booting (or trying to) on two hard drives: one has XP (32-bit) and 10 (64-bit) and one has Ubuntu 15.04 (64-bit). If I try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rae, Sep 5, 2015.

1. RAE
    Rae Win User

Problems with bootloader in multi-boot setup

Hello, all.

I'm triple-booting (or trying to) on two hard drives: one has XP (32-bit) and 10 (64-bit) and one has Ubuntu 15.04 (64-bit). If I try to boot into XP, my whole system restarts. When I try to go back to Windows bootloader, my system restarts a second time. When I go back to Windows bootloader again, I can actually get into the bootloader, where I select 10 and successfully boot into it.

For background:
    I followed all of the advice in setting it up and smoothing it out: I disconnected the Linux drive, created a partition and installed XP, installed 7 on the remaining partition, upgraded to 10. Could boot just fine into XP or 10. Disconnected the Windows drive, installed 15.04. Repaired the GRUB via the live USB after encountering
    Code: error: file not found. grub rescue> _[/quote] and generated this URL: Ubuntu Pastebin

When I sought help in the Ubuntu forums, I was told to get a bootinfo summary, and generated this URL: Ubuntu Pastebin

Can someone help me fix this, please?
    Thanks,

:)

2. Tomazsi Win User

Cumulative update (KB 3135173) fails to install, just like KB 3124262 and KB 3124263

I had the same problem, impossible to update or turning on/off any windows feature. It always failed to update, than undoing changes, rebooting... I have dual boot system with Ubuntu and Windows 10 with Grub2 bootloader because win bootloader can't load
    linux...

Maybe this fix works in single boot systems same way and the reason for this update fails is corrupted bootloader.

Ok so my solution for this problem was (not fastest one or permanent, but it's nice to update system every few months):

1. Booting to windows with live windows10 USB, should work same with windows10 DVD,

2. Then click Repair your computer - Advance options - Command Prompt - type "bootrec /fixmbr" (it does not delete any data, it only changes back to windows boot loader),

3. Exit Command Prompt, Reboot,

4. Download and run Windows Update Troubleshooter just to be sure,

5. Update

6. If you have multi boot system use
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    to restore back to multi boot. Use recommended repair and carefully follow instructions.

Hope this helps to someone.

Tomazsi, Sep 5, 2015
  3. jbootland Win User
    Cumulative Update KB3194798 failing to install

Looked at your link.. Sadly none of the repairs there were associated to my system at all. I am on a HP Laptop, which I have made the HD a multi-boot (Yes this was a challenge and a chore to get to work right).

(Yes, overkill .. I'm a geek.. go figure)

Bootloader : Grub 2.02 (linux based bootloader)

And here is what I think is happening, that the windows update is trying to modify the boot sector, or something associated to it, but because I am on the multi-boot using Grub Bootloader, it can not find what it is looking for, and fails.

SOLUTION - FOUND !!

Ok, when doing multi-boots it often changes the 'ACTIVE PARTITION'

Suggested to you all to try !

Step 1: Right Click on windows icon (bottom left on your taskbar) should open a menu

Step 2: Select Disk Management in the menu

Step 3: In the Disk Management window, right click on your Windows Drive (usually defaulted to C: )

- Can be done in either half, upper or lower

Step 4: In the new menu that opens 'Mark Partition as Active' is what you select

Then Attempt the Update. (This resolved the issue for me, please mark as HELPFUL if it works for you!)

jbootland, Sep 5, 2015
Thema:

Problems with bootloader in multi-boot setup

1. Problems with bootloader in multi-boot setup - Similar Threads - Problems bootloader multi

2. Multi monitor setup mouse problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multi monitor setup mouse problem: Hi !I have setup of 4 monitors connected to 1 PC with Windows 11.Setup is 2x2 2 monitors top row and 2 monitors botom row.Problem is that when I move my mouse pointer from right bottom monitor to top right monitor it show up on left top monitor ... and i do not have a clue...
  3. Multi monitor setup mouse problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multi monitor setup mouse problem: Hi !I have setup of 4 monitors connected to 1 PC with Windows 11.Setup is 2x2 2 monitors top row and 2 monitors botom row.Problem is that when I move my mouse pointer from right bottom monitor to top right monitor it show up on left top monitor ... and i do not have a clue...
  4. Problem with multi Monitor Setup Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with multi Monitor Setup Microsoft Transient Multi-Monitor Manager: Hi everybody, I'm at the end of my wits. I recently got a new second monitor on my system win10, NVidia Geforce 1070, 2x MSI Optix MAG27 to name the relevant pieces and now the automatic monitor detection is bugging me. ProblemWhenever I'm switching my second monitor off...
  5. Windows 10 can't find its own bootloader in dual-boot setup

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 can't find its own bootloader in dual-boot setup: Hello, so I have a pretty weird issue with my Manjaro Linux and Windows dual boot setup. I had a perfectly working setup on my 1TB SSD, where both Linux and Windows occupied half of the drive, UEFI was set to boot to Windows, but Windows bootloader was set to GRUB by bcdedit...
  6. Multi boot problem- who stole my boots?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multi boot problem- who stole my boots?: I had a multi boot system installed on my hard drive, giving the options of DOS, Windows XP or Windows 10. I moved this to a new computer with an SSD and cloned the hard drive to the SSD. All was well until it stopped booting to DOS. No problem, I can access DOS through...
  7. Nvidia GameStream with a multi seat and multi monitor setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nvidia GameStream with a multi seat and multi monitor setup: Hi, I have a somewhat complex question. I am trying to force Nvidia GameStream (lets call it "GS" from now on) to start on my secondary monitor. I've read on the Nvidia forum that it can't be done, and have tried to tinker with it myself. No luck so far. I will try to note...
  8. Bootloader issues with multi-boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Bootloader issues with multi-boot: I'm trying to dual-boot Win 10 (64-bit) and WinXP (32-bit). If I try to go to WinXP, the entire system just restarts, then restarts once more when I get back into the bootloader. I tried using Dual Boot Repair, but all it did was add a redundant item to my bootloader menu....
  9. BootLoader Custom Setup ?

BootLoader Custom Setup ?: I want to put multiple boot discs for multiple computers on a thumb drive. I assume I need to create a multiple bootloader so I can select which boot loader I want for each computer ? 65279
  10. BCDEdit to create a multi-bootloader thumbdrive ?

BCDEdit to create a multi-bootloader thumbdrive ?: Correct me if I'm wrong, can you not use BCDEdit to create a multi-bootloader thumbdrive ? 65793