Windows 10: problems with installing programs

Discus and support problems with installing programs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I tried to update my Garmin Satnav maps but could not, a sugestion was to Inport a previous saved (exported) Registry but, on trying it gave "Error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by nichos, Oct 25, 2017.

1. nichos Win User

problems with installing programs

I tried to update my Garmin Satnav maps but could not, a sugestion was to Inport a previous saved (exported) Registry but, on trying it gave "Error Accessing Registry".

Then I tried to open IE 11 to ask here but, nowq IE does not open.

Luckily Firefox opened to send this.

Can anything be done to avoid reinstalling w10 & maybe loosing some things or worst formating the WD 1tb HD & loosing all?

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFi,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, 2x2GB,
    240-pin DIMM, DDR2 EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX, WD sata 1TB, X45, Win 10 64bit.

:)

nichos, Oct 25, 2017

2. Problems with installing programs

Well your account should still be a Microsoft Account unless you added a new one and are using that. A corrupted original Admin Account can really complicate future performance of the system while that installation of the OS is still in use.

What I would do is copy your files to the new account (if you try other methods you could bring in some corruption and complicate the process).

Of course that means you will need to install your programs.

Or even better :

Is to just start over with a Clean Slate. Even though this seems like a lot of work and hassle it is probably considerably less than dealing with a corrupted OS and Admin Account. i.e. think about all the issues you have already experienced.

If you do a Clean Install then it would be activated with the Digital Entitlement.

Start fresh with a clean installation of Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Clean Install Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Let us know if we can offer any further assistance.

SpiritX MS MVP, Oct 25, 2017
  3. Problems with installing programs

Hello, thank you for quick ressponse. About my new HDD I already checked for corrupted Windows files about two weeks ago and everything was fine. About 15 mins ago I tried something I never did and that kinda fixed problem but not totally. I opened Netplwiz
    and marked as active account named Administrator in lusrmgr program. I logged out and logged in to that Administrator account for the first time. I got scared for a moment because everything was changed like I just reinstalled Windows problems with installing programs :) And I finally, finally
    successfully installed Java and actually successfully installed other programs I wanted problems with installing programs :). So now I got another question. Do you maybe know how I can maybe transfer my Local account I made while installing Windows 10 two months ago to this Administrator account
    or this is not possible so I will need just to disable and delete my Local account and configure again that Administrator account? I mean about configurind Desktop... Sorry for being such a let's say noob for this Admin things in Windows. If you maybe thinking
    why am I using Local account there is a little explanation. When I was installing Windows 10 two months ago I i just logged in to Microsoft acount and that's it. Like every user that is installing windows. But for some reason looks like I simply don't have
    full control of my own PC and I always have problems with installing programs... I had Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win 10 of course and I done a lot of reinstallings thru years and something like this never happened. Thanks for reading!!!

- Strahinja -, Oct 25, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. First check your disk:
    Download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and make sure all disks are reported as good.
    If not, do not continue, and post back .

2. Now check your file system:

From an admin command or powershell prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    Read Chkdsk Log in Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    or
    How to read Event Viewer log for Chkdsk in Windows 10 [Tip] | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTechdotTech
    or
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Post the outcome.

3. If ok, then from an admin commmand prompt run
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and post the result (summary)

That will give a good starting point.

Please also advise your Windows build:
    Windows key + R, winver

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  5. nichos Win User
    Thanx, I guess is good. Will try the rest on restart

nichos, Oct 25, 2017
  6. nichos Win User
    Sorry but after "filter current log" with chdsk, winit is OKed I only get this:- instead what is in the example, & cannot continew, do I miss something?

nichos, Oct 25, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hard disk sentinel => disk is good, which is encouraging.

Sorry, can't tell anything from that.

Did you start chkdsk from an admin command prompt, and did your PC restart to run chkdsk?

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  8. nichos Win User

Yes, started chkdsk from an admin command prompt, the PC did not start automatically, I started it but I did not run chckdsk.

I,ll run SFC /SCANNOW now, which I did at first when trouble started.

Verification started but will take ages.

nichos, Oct 25, 2017
  9. nichos Win User
    OK, the result is "Windows Resource Protection didnot find any integrity violations.

But still no IE or garmin express, the registry is bust, just found that double clicking any photo gives this error below & most important trying to inport a saved registry still gives this error.

nichos, Oct 26, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    When you try to import that file are you running as a standard user or as admin?

dalchina, Oct 26, 2017
  11. nichos Win User
    I think so as I am the only user but, when I click "import" in regedit it gives no option as admin or not.

In CTRL Panel User Accounts I am the only Local account "Administrator", is this enough to import as admintr?, if not how can I do it.

ALSO, I though of rtying a repair to see if the Registry would correct but,with other OSs when I boot with the win xxx CDR in I remember giving the option to "Repair" as well.

Now the win 8 did not give it. Originally I had w8, then used the free w10 to upgrade & also have this on USB stick which needs "MS TOOL" to install w10, but does not have REPAIR option.

nichos, Oct 26, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    You could try Tweaking.com's free repair tool - observe the appropriate initial cautious steps, then run ONLY repair 1 (reset registry permissions).

(I think you're talking about Startup Repair - which is quite different).
    Note: Win 10 iso's are freely downloadable. The Tutorial section tells you how (search for download iso e.g. - or search for Media Creation Tool).

dalchina, Oct 26, 2017
  13. nichos Win User

Thanx,

In desperation, before I got your post about " Tweaking.com's ", I tried again booting on the w10 USB & this time managed to get to the REPAIR.

The repair said about files but, when completed in 15mnts IE opened & also photos open but Garmin Express to update the maps of my Satnav failed giving same reason as posted earlier.

Regarding the REGISTREE Importing I am too scared to try it now.

Could the start up repair I made repair the Registry?

If I try this " Tweaking.com's" do you think will repair the Registry or I'll get into trouble again?

nichos, Oct 26, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    As I said, Startup repair has nothing whatsoever to do with registry problems. Startup problems relate to booting problems to do with areas of your disk outside the Windows partition.

Please follow what I suggest.

dalchina, Oct 26, 2017
  15. nichos Win User
    Thanx dalchina,

I run your " Tweaking.com's " on the Registry, now the photos open but Garmin Express is not working on PC W10 but, it worked on a Laptop W8.

I do not dare try if I can import in the registry which was my main problem giving the error given in post #7.

Also used it on IE 11 & seems to work a bit better now.

Is so many repairs it can do seems amazing.

nichos, Oct 28, 2017
Thema:

1. problems with installing programs - Similar Threads - problems installing programs

2. Program installation problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program installation problem: I am attempting to install a program on a Windows 10 computer. A message pops up stating the app is blocked. An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator. I am the administrator and did not enable any restrictions on...
  3. Program installation problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program installation problem: I am attempting to install a program on a Windows 10 computer. A message pops up stating the app is blocked. An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator. I am the administrator and did not enable any restrictions on...
  4. Program installation problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Problem installing programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem installing programs: Hello, sometimes it happens to me that when trying to install a program, I get this error that prevents me from doing it and I get this error: Could not access network location 9e0a\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\i need help with this, thanks...
  6. Problem installing programs

Problem installing programs: Hello, sometimes it happens to me that when trying to install a program, I get this error that prevents me from doing it and I get this error: Could not access network location 9e0a\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\i need help with this, thanks...
  7. Problem installing programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Program installation problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Program installation problem: I am trying to install a program...after answering "Yes" to the UAC prompt, it writes itself to the ...AppData/Temp folder, but stops. I am struggling with how to troubleshoot and overcome this no error message is displayed. This has happened when I select Open or "Run as...
  9. problem updating an installed program

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    problem updating an installed program: When updating an installed program, I get a message that a network resource is not available and the update stops. It asks for a path to the resource, but I can't find one....
  10. Problem opening program installers.

Problem opening program installers.: Hi, I've been having a problem with my computer in the past few days. Every time I try to open any ".exe" file or regular function on windows that has the admin shield icon what ever i try to open it from weather its the desktop the file manager of the properties panel of...