Windows 10: Problems with Microphone, and voice recognition applications

Discus and support Problems with Microphone, and voice recognition applications in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I use word recognition almost daily, and have Dragon Naturally Speaking installed on Windows 10. I use that & the app that comes with Win 10.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jakmi, Aug 2, 2016.

1. jakmi Win User

Problems with Microphone, and voice recognition applications

Hi,
    I use word recognition almost daily, and have Dragon Naturally Speaking installed on Windows 10. I use that & the app that comes with Win 10. About 2-3 weeks ago, I noticed that my dictation would go along 'as usual' for a sentence or two, and then just stop. If I clicked the mic off for a few seconds, and then on again, I could continue with the dictation -- but only for a sentence or two, and then would have to repeat the same actions. Naturally, this was frustrating & not too productive.
    First I checked to see if it was my mic by using my spare one -- same results. Then I tried both applications, to make sure it wasn't the DNS program causing it -- same results. I starting looking for answers online, and while I found others who seem to be having the same problem, none of the solutions offered have worked. What I've narrowed it down to is this:
    I right click the speaker in the lower right corner> I choose "Recording Devices"> I double-click "Microphone" & choose the "Levels" Tab. And therein lies the problem: the 'levels' slide for my mic is at '0' and the icon of the mic has a 'red circle/line through it'... No matter WHAT I do, the slider will NOT stay put ... it always 'jumps' back to '0'. I've tried (as suggested by several) going to the "Advanced" tab & unchecking both of the 'Exclusive Mode' options, but it didn't help.
    Back to the 'Sound' tab .... someone said to highlight 'Microphone' and click 'Set Default'. I'd like to try that, but, unfortunately, my 'Set Default' button is grayed out ... can't do anything with it at all.
    Please, can someone help .. I just can't figure this out, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

:)

jakmi, Aug 2, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

voice recognition with bluetooth

Bluetooth is a technology for creating a wireless network. Voice recognition is a separate technology.

You could use a Bluetooth-enabled microphone to transmit speech to a voice recognition application.

BulldogXX, Aug 2, 2016
  3. Windows 10: After microphone setup and Voice Recognition training HOW do you use Speech Recognition with an application without the microphone icon?

Using Windows 10 on PC (laptop) - microphone is set up and works correctly. Voice recognition training is complete so it all works. However there is no microphone button to turn on the microphone in Windows 10 to use speech recognition in NOTEPAD or any
    other application. I installed a second language and see the Language toolbar but it is missing the microphone icon which was visible in previous versions of Windows.

BRETTFRIEDLI, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Problems with Microphone, and voice recognition applications

Try running the Windows Troubleshooter. In the Search box, type Troubleshooter>Under Hardware and Sound>Troubleshoot audio recording>Audio Troubleshooter Window appears>Click Next.

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 2, 2016
  5. jakmi Win User
    Thanks, AmericanPharaoh, Just tried that, but when I tried dictating, same old thing happened again. This is just such a puzzle!

jakmi, Aug 2, 2016
  6. Contract Dragon Naturally Speaking support.

Perhaps, your version is not supported by Windows 10.

AmericanPharaoh, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problems with Microphone, and voice recognition applications

1. Problems with Microphone, and voice recognition applications - Similar Threads - Problems Microphone voice

2. voice recognition dictation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    voice recognition dictation: best tablet or chrome book/laptop to record audio dictation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/voice-recognition-dictation/88f9a4d4-2521-40e6-b32d-5a0c94118c1f
  3. voice recognition dictation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    voice recognition dictation: best tablet or chrome book/laptop to record audio dictation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/voice-recognition-dictation/88f9a4d4-2521-40e6-b32d-5a0c94118c1f
  4. voice recognition - enable built-in microphone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    voice recognition - enable built-in microphone: I want to set up voice recognition on my new laptop, using built-in microphone. How do I turn on the built-in microphone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/voice-recognition-enable-built-in-microphone/204c822e-88fb-417e-8d0d-bf454dab0e2e
  5. voice recognition - enable built-in microphone

voice recognition - enable built-in microphone: I want to set up voice recognition on my new laptop, using built-in microphone. How do I turn on the built-in microphone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/voice-recognition-enable-built-in-microphone/204c822e-88fb-417e-8d0d-bf454dab0e2e
  6. voice recognition

in Cortana
    voice recognition: i am from east Tennessee and have a pretty thick country accent. i have only had bad experiences with voice anything. would it help any for me to attempt to communicate? there are not a whole bunch of people who sound like me on here from my limited observation. i mean i am...
  7. Voice Recognition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Voice Recognition: Can you have voice recognition active in WORD, but not active in any other programs during the day? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/voice-recognition/a2500d07-c695-446a-9667-482179d79d25
  8. Voice recognition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Voice recognition: I wish to have voice recognition on this new Dell and have windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/voice-recognition/d14385e1-a0cd-44a3-90d2-9460f642da76
  9. Voice Recognition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Voice Recognition: Hi I am unable to use windows voice recognition. I am in Australia. The program will not open because my interface language is different to the voice recognition system, and I am instructed to change this under advanced options. However I cannot get to advanced options....
  10. Voice recognition

Voice recognition: I want to use voice-recognition in Spanish, I installED Windows in Spanish, when I go to voice-recognition I can install the microphone and the reading comes in Spanish. However when I go to start voice-recognition, a message appears that the interface and the computer...