Windows 10: Problems with password in Safe Mode

Discus and support Problems with password in Safe Mode in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; When I try to log on to my desktop computer in Safe Mode it tells me my password is incorrect. If I log on to my laptop computer in Safe Mode my... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by curt jugg, Jul 8, 2018.

1. curt jugg Win User

Problems with password in Safe Mode

When I try to log on to my desktop computer in Safe Mode it tells me my password is incorrect. If I log on to my laptop computer in Safe Mode my password is accepted. My wife can log on to my desktop computer in Safe Mode without any problem.

Can anyone suggest what might be the problem with my desktop Safe Mode log-on, please.

Thanks in anticipation.

Curt

:)

curt jugg, Jul 8, 2018

2. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 8, 2018
  3. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps. 

If you see the black screen or have a flickering screen:

Step 1: Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

• To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
      • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, Display Port to VGA, or any other combination.
    Step 2: Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking
    or Enable low-resolution video.

• Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video
      • Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters
        • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work).
        • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    How to boot into Safe mode.

Run your computer in Safe mode and see if you still get that error message. If you are not getting that error message in safe mode then perform clean boot on your computer using the steps provided below. If you
    don't get that error message in safe mode then it means that some third party application is causing the problem.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the
      F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.
    • Select an option Safe mode with Networking using the arrow keys on the keyboard when the
      Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe mode with Networking and then press
      ENTER.

I would suggest you to force shutdown your system and then try to restart it again and check if you are able to login to safe boot.

Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.  

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jul 8, 2018
  4. Problems with password in Safe Mode

Question about password in Safe Mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Are you not able to login into the PC or the Microsoft Account using a browser?
    • Did you check in Safe mode with Networking?

The On-screen keyboard is located in the Ease of access center located at the bottom left corner of the lock screen. It acts as a temporary keyboard in-case your keyboard does not work.

Check if you are able to login by typing the password using on-screen keyboard by following the steps below:

• Click on the Ease of access icon located on the bottom right corner of the screen.
    • Select on-screen keyboard option and type the password.

After entering the password and before pressing Enter,
    click on the icon adjacent to where you typed the password and check if you have entered the right password.

Method 1: Boot your PC in Safe mode with networking
    by following the steps from the link below and check if you are facing similar issue.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words
    Safe Mode appear at the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Expand the options to boot into Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

To exit from Safe mode follow the steps below:

• Open Run command by pressing Windows key + R
      on the keyboard and type msconfig in the command box.
    • Under Boot tab uncheck the Safe boot
      option.
    • Reboot the system and check if the changes are effective.

To know more about Safe mode, following is an article on
    Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode) (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Method 2: If you are unable to login and is using Microsoft account to enter the user profile, I suggest you to use another PC to reset the password from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Write back to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 8, 2018
Thema:

Problems with password in Safe Mode

1. Problems with password in Safe Mode - Similar Threads - Problems password Safe

2. Safe mode password

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Safe mode password: I updated my amd drivers and now my windows won't load if not on safe mode, but on safe mode for whatever reason my password is just always wrong. I created my windows account using my Microsoft account, but no possible password I have ever used my entire life has worked so...
  3. Safe Mode Password?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Safe Mode Password?: I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10 Home and it is operating perfectly. The other day I wanted to go into Safe Mode and I did the following: Settings / Updates & Security / Recovery / somewhere there I set a setting to open in Safe Mode, then I restarted the computer. I see...
  4. Safe mode no password Win 10 problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe mode no password Win 10 problem: As my computer had been getting hot recently followed a procedure to rectify which involved going into safe mode. Unfortunately as many others have experienced my finger print and pin password was by passed and could remember password. Have followed previous threads as this...
  5. Safe Mode / Not Safe Mode Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Safe Mode / Not Safe Mode Problem: Windows 10 PC on feature pack 1909. Mapped drive S: to a DC/AD/Server 2016 share. Several folders on the share are large. PC1 was working fine till yesterday. Now those large folders on S: can take up to 3 minutes to display contents in Explorer. Other folders on S: display...
  6. Problem with windows10 safe mode password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Problem with windows10 safe mode password: Hy,i can login into my pc : i enter safe mode and my pin or microsoft password don't work. I change my microsoft password but same incorect password.. i see on internet that there was a trick with command prompt but if i enter cmd says to introduce my password.. what can i...
  7. safe mode password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    safe mode password: hey! so when i try to login in safe mode its ask me for a password and i know its not pin password and its for my Microsoft account but when i enter the password its show me that the password is incorrect... i tried every single password i know but its still show me that's...
  8. safe mode password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    safe mode password: im unable to restart windows 10 to normal mode. im stuck on entering safe mode since its asking for password. ive used the password and pin and both come up incorrect. ive tried all options possible but each leads to the password stage and incorrect as usual. can i get help...
  9. Safe Mode Password Problem

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Safe Mode Password Problem: I’m attempting to boot into Safe Mode using Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Advanced start-up > Restart now > option > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Start-up Settings > Restart. After restart I use option 4 for Safe Mode. However, when I enter my Microsoft...
  10. Safe Mode Password Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe Mode Password Problem: I’m attempting to boot into Safe Mode using Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Advanced start-up > Restart now > option > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Start-up Settings > Restart. After restart I use option 4 for Safe Mode. However, when I enter my Microsoft...