Windows 10: Problems with PC refusing to shutdown.

Discus and support Problems with PC refusing to shutdown. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every attempt to shutdown my custom PC with Windows 10 has failed. I've tried the power button, start menu, task manager, power shell, nothing. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AeonNova, Jun 7, 2016.

1. AeonNova Win User

Problems with PC refusing to shutdown.

Every attempt to shutdown my custom PC with Windows 10 has failed. I've tried the power button, start menu, task manager, power shell, nothing. It doesn't even respond. Basically, it just sits at the desktop as if you didn't even do anything. The only way I can turn off my PC is to hold the power button or pull the plug. I can't find any information on anyone with the same problem. Any advice?

:)

AeonNova, Jun 7, 2016

2. Windows refuse to shutdown

Windows got stuck in the update animation when there is nothing to update
    Problems with PC refusing to shutdown. [​IMG]
    autistic
    Windows 10, i just checked for updates today an hour ago, and there’s none, now i wanted to turn my laptop off and it got stuck in this animation when there’s no updates to install. What should i do? This version of windows was clean-installed from usb just
    3-days ago, and i installed the latest updates 3 days ago also. What exectly is happening?

lintongthedev, Jun 7, 2016
  3. Windows refuse to shutdown

yes, sometimes

lintongthedev, Jun 7, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

I'm assuming you are not having multiple active browsers, spreadsheets, documents, etc. wide open before initiating shutdown.
    I'm a Windows 7 person, however, my educated guess is that one or more programs are not releasing their "self-awareness" control over to Windows 10 shutdown process. Does Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking shutdown aok? If yes, then one has to use Windows 10's version of msconfig and/or services, !very carefully! a little at a time, temporarily disable all anti-viri, anti-malware, monitoring programs just before shutdown is initiated. I hope you have full image backups of your OS partition 'cause break-neck running or improperly running through either W10's versions of msconfig and/or services can lead to more grief than joy.

RolandJS, Jun 7, 2016
  5. jds63 Win User
    Yes i would also suspect that a program that is still open or a running process at the time you shut down is not responding to the Windows shutdown command. Take a look in the Event Viewer to track down what is keeping Windows from shutting down. Event Viewer> Custom Views> Administrator Events.

If you identify what is causing the issue you may need to reinstall the program.

jds63, Jun 7, 2016
  6. ARC
    Arc Win User
  7. AeonNova Win User
    Tried this because it seemed simpler than choices and I haven't had much time to work on the problem lately due to term papers and final exams. This didn't help. It still does the same thing. I'm looking into the other solutions soon. A new problem has also appeared. The whole task bar seems to be locking up after I use the search function one time.

AeonNova, Jun 7, 2016
  8. Problems with PC refusing to shutdown.

Malware infection, perhaps?

Bob

BobCochran, Jun 7, 2016
  9. AeonNova Win User
    Sorry for the delay in the response. I had exams and a term paper for school. Turns out all I needed to do is update my AMD Catalyst drivers and that fixed the problem. Everything is running smoothly now.

AeonNova, Jun 15, 2016
  10. AeonNova Win User
    I did have some malware, but it was merely coincidence and had nothing to do with the problem.

AeonNova, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problems with PC refusing to shutdown. - Similar Threads - Problems refusing shutdown

2. PC refuse to shutdown restart even hibernate it restart right back up.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC refuse to shutdown restart even hibernate it restart right back up.: Seem my PC refuse to stay down I try all fix recommend even go to updated the pc.I try Hibernate and shutdown it came back up restarting it self for no reason, I try shutdown fix disable fast startup and bunch of others fix in regedit it still restart back.I shutdown in safe...
  3. PC refuse to shutdown restart even hibernate it restart right back up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC refuse to shutdown restart even hibernate it restart right back up.: Seem my PC refuse to stay down I try all fix recommend even go to updated the pc.I try Hibernate and shutdown it came back up restarting it self for no reason, I try shutdown fix disable fast startup and bunch of others fix in regedit it still restart back.I shutdown in safe...
  4. PC refuse to shutdown restart even hibernate it restart right back up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dell Inspiron refuse to completely shutdown

Dell Inspiron refuse to completely shutdown: I am having a problem with the Dell Inspiron 7370. When it comes to shutting down the machine, sometimes the screen goes off but I can still see the backlight keyboard keys lights + sound of the running device? I am now having no other options but to apply Force Shutdown by...
  6. Shutdown Problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shutdown Problem: Okay, I've been experiencing all kinds of problems recently. Driver problems, CPU temp problems. Anyways, hello everyone. I've been experiencing a problem with my shutdown recently. Usually, an "indicator" that the shutdown is complete is when the keyboard lights (RGB...
  7. Shutdown problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shutdown problem: Whenever i try to scan my laptop and installing game , my laptop restart showing blue screen. showing message "your pc ran into a problem and ned to restart, we are collecting some info" Did anybody know the solution??...
  8. PC SHUTDOWN PROBLEM!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC SHUTDOWN PROBLEM!: Hello, i am a new windows user... i brought my pc [ DELL ] about 4 months ago.... it has WINDOWS 10 PRO op. sys. As a gamer i like to play many games.. all of them were working fine for me... but i found a problem when i installed a gaming emulator..... whenever i open...
  9. Randomly refuses to shutdown

Randomly refuses to shutdown: On occasion my computer won't sleep or shutdown when I tell it too. It will turn itself back on immediately. I upgraded to W10 from W7 back in August 2015. This was never a problem until recently. I check for pending updates when this happens, and there are none showing. If I...
  10. Shutdown problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown problem: Hi Suddenly over the last week my PC has gone from closing almost instantly to taking 10 to 15 minutes to shut down. Everything else is normal : boot is fast and all programs are running normally. I'm worried something is going wrong and this is the time to stop it. I tried...