Windows 10: Problems with scrolling and Windows Explorer

Discus and support Problems with scrolling and Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. Recently I have run into a problem with a few folders in my computer. I have my files organized by type and when I try to scroll through the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CuriousD, Mar 19, 2018.

1. CuriousD Win User

Problems with scrolling and Windows Explorer

Hello. Recently I have run into a problem with a few folders in my computer. I have my files organized by type and when I try to scroll through the file types, the folder will freeze necessitating a restarting of Windows Explorer on the Task Manager. This problem doesn't happen when I use the slide bar on the bottom of the folder. Just when I use my trackball or mouse scroll. If I set the view without grouping, I can access the files just fine, but I don't have enough files to necessitate scrolling. Oddly, when I set it back to grouping from the view not grouping, I don't have the problem until I go up level and come back to the grouped file type view. Does anyone know a way to keep Windows Explorer from crashing when I scroll through my files on grouped file type view on a folder? Thanks for the help.

Windows 10 (latest update), i7, 16GB RAM, Dell XPS

:)

CuriousD, Mar 19, 2018

2. In File Explorer a long list of file names snaps back to the top of the list after a few seconds

Hi Kenand,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Are you using external mouse/ touchpad while scrolling in File Explorer?
    • Is this issue confined only when accessing File Explorer?

This issue might persists if your using mouse/ touchpad with scrolling problem.

I suggest you to refer to the below posts and check if the your issue resembles the same, try the troubleshooting steps mentioned to check if your issue is resolved.

Windows 10 file explorer scrolls itself to the top

And,

Scroll Problems with File Explorer in Window 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 19, 2018
  3. Problem in all Windows Explorer instances. Focus jumps to top

Hi Ravinath

The problem as shown in the video (the original problem in this thread) occurs, as I noted, in all File Explorer (Windows Explorer) instances.

Where the number of files exceeds the display size of the window and a scroll bar is invoked, the scroll bar jumps back to the top after being scrolled down

Where the number of files can be displayed in the window without invoking scroll bar, operations such as Rename are aborted if they take too long (that is before as I assume the window refreshes)

I will try the command you suggest but I am backing all my files up first.

G4llovidian, Mar 19, 2018
  4. Problems with scrolling and Windows Explorer

Hi CuriuosD

Did this start recently?

I might check video drivers and mouse / trackball drivers? (Update as appropriate). If the problem is new and these drivers were recently updated by Windows rollback to an older version and test.

If you use a different mouse, hoping you have one, does the problem persist?

Caledon Ken, Mar 22, 2018
Thema:

Problems with scrolling and Windows Explorer

1. Problems with scrolling and Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Problems scrolling Explorer

2. Scrolling problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Scrolling problem: I am unable to scroll properly with arrow keys in my laptop. For each scroll I have to press the said key which is a great headache now. I consume a lot of time. Same is the issue with the backspace key. Kindly guide me...
  3. Windows 11 flickering-problem with scrolling in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 flickering-problem with scrolling in Windows Explorer: Hi,I am using windows 11 updated to latest version.my windows explorer has started Flickering When Scrolling.which is very annoying to use.no issue with graphics driver, the flickering issue is only in explorer.How should I fix it ?thanksOnedrive link of this issue:...
  4. Windows 11 flickering-problem with scrolling in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 flickering-problem with scrolling in Windows Explorer: Hi,I am using windows 11 updated to latest version.my windows explorer has started Flickering When Scrolling.which is very annoying to use.no issue with graphics driver, the flickering issue is only in explorer.How should I fix it ?thanksOnedrive link of this issue:...
  5. Problem scrolling in windows explorer using touchpad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem scrolling in windows explorer using touchpad: I'm using windows 10 pro and l have noticed that I can no longer scroll "in" the windows explorer window. The only way to scroll is to put the mouse pointer over the scroll bar, then I'm able to scroll up and down but its inconvenient. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ONLY HAPPENING IN...
  6. Problem scrolling in windows explorer using touchpad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem scrolling in windows explorer using touchpad: I'm using windows 10 pro and l have noticed that I can no longer scroll "in" the windows explorer window. The only way to scroll is to put the mouse pointer over the scroll bar, then I'm able to scroll up and down but its inconvenient. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS ONLY HAPPENING IN...
  7. Problem scrolling in windows explorer using touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Scrolling problem.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scrolling problem.: Why does my Red Dragon Griffin Mouse scroll volume and not lines? I've tried depressing the dpi button for 5 seconds, it doesn't help. I only bought it yesterday. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scrolling-problem/02fa37c4-8ebb-4aff-a3bb-a345cae7716b
  9. scrolling problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    scrolling problem: My HP Win10 laptop (new) has developed a scrolling problem. It scrolls down without my input. Very annoying. Drivers are up to date. Everything is upto date. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scrolling-problem/27264b0e-1c26-4ba5-9496-2859bb900a92
  10. scrolling in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    scrolling in File Explorer: My background is 3840 by 1080. I have 55 pictures in a Dropbox account of that size. When I click on one of the last ones, to make it background, or just to look at it... the scroll bar on the right goes right back up to the top. Windows 8 and 8.1 did the same. It is so...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer jumps higher level folder when open file