Windows 10: Problems with the Start Menu not opening

Discus and support Problems with the Start Menu not opening in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I've looked through and ran various troubleshooters I was able to find regarding the Start Menu which refuses to open since I upgraded from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ReasonSharp, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Problems with the Start Menu not opening

Hi!

I've looked through and ran various troubleshooters I was able to find regarding the Start Menu which refuses to open since I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Needless to say, none of them worked, so here I am.

The problem, however, runs deeper than just the Start Menu. Basically, everything on the taskbar that's not a pinned program, doesn't work. I can right-click the task bar just fine and the menu opens and I have the options to open the Control Panel, Task Manager, Power Shell etc. However, right-clicking any of the pinned programs does nothing. On my other systems, if I do that I get some options (e.g. if I right-click Visual Studio, I get a menu which enables me to open one of the recent solutions). I know there is an option that I need to set up to enable this feature, and I have it enabled, but the context menu that should display this simply doesn't open. Consequently, I can't pin any new programs to the taskbar, or un-pin old ones.

Furthermore, one of the tutorials suggested I try enabling and then disabling a full screen start menu through settings. However, I noticed that no matter what I do, the system won't remember that I toggled the full screen start menu button. I set it to ON, exit settings, re-enter settings, and it shows as being OFF again.

Next, clicking the date and time on the taskbar should open up a monthly calendar. Well, not for me. The calendar is completely unresponsive. Right-clicking the notification in the tray shows the option to open the action center, but the action center doesn't open.

Any ideas on what I can do? Are there any logs that might shed light on what's gone wrong?

:)

ReasonSharp, Dec 6, 2015

2. Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

a Microsoft tech did that to my last laptop and I had to use the user name TEST. I could not log out of it, couldn't log into my original user because it said it was already in use...

Creating a user is NOT the answer. I'm on a new PC now and just started having the same trouble with the start again...it's unreal this problem hasn't been fixed

DMartin-2016, Dec 6, 2015
  3. Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

To MMMSobo

I'm glad this has worked for you too, all I can tell you is that my tech bloke told me that whereas before shutting down your PC did the work of "tidying up" your PC with "Windows 10" you have to do a restart about once a week. I've been doing it to mine
    for some weeks now & it has not failed me.

What a pity that Microsoft cannot tell people to do this when someone away from Microsoft can? I also have to say though that the tech people I use are very good.

By the way, this restart should be done regularly at least once a week

ValerieSykes, Dec 6, 2015
  4. Problems with the Start Menu not opening

ReasonSharp, Dec 7, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    You could try downloading shexview and disabling all non-ms context menu entries as this is often a cause of right click weirdness.

For your start menu problem though I'd create a new user account and see if things works there. If that doesn't work then a repair install is easy and only takes half an hour or so (you get to keep all your non store programs and data etc).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

lx07, Dec 7, 2015
  6. lx07 nothing worked. Same thing as before.

ReasonSharp, Dec 8, 2015
  7. I fixed it.

The problem was that Administrators did not have access to

C:\Users\MY_USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages

Would have been SOOOO much easier if there was a friggin' LOG somewhere!!!

So much for generic "fixes". Total bollocks.

ReasonSharp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Problems with the Start Menu not opening

1. Problems with the Start Menu not opening - Similar Threads - Problems Start Menu

2. Start menu problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu problem: Start menu only shows half of the image of each apps. It will not show anything and sometimes it will not function. I restart the PC maybe it will help but nothing. I run virus scan maybe Im affected by something, but nothing is detected. I need to make if functionable....
  3. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  4. Start Menu is not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu is not opening: The start menu is not opening using the mouse by clicking on the windows logo in the taskbar nor the keyboard on my windows 11 system. I have restarted my laptop multiple times but the same issue occurs. Because of this, I am unable to access the search function also, neither...
  5. Problem with Start menue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Start menue.: Probably after an update, when I want to shut down I get a Critical Error message that the Start Menu does not work. I have to push the Power button to shut down.It says it will be fixed the next time I sign on, but it does not. 3 days now it is still not working.I welcome...
  6. Start Menu Problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Problems: [img] Hi there. Recently I've had this problem with the start menu not being able to display any of the folders on the left hand side in Windows 10 Pro. In the settings application, the above image is what shows when I try to enable it. Any ideas? Thanks in advanced, ....
  7. Start Menu not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu not opening: Trying to resolve this issue for a couple of days where the start menu doesn't open when its clicked on. I have seen other posts with this issue where its an issue with personalization settings under ms-settings. I am unable to open Ms-settings because I receive the error...
  8. Start menu problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu problem: Yesterday when i try to arrange icons in start menu i saw the problem ,i can not move any of icon in start menu, the icon disappear and i am not able to do anything until i restart windows explorer,but when i try rearrange again this bug occur again...Is there any solution?...
  9. Start menu problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu problems: [img] Anyone know how to fix this start menu? 76067
  10. start menu problem

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu problem: [img] just installed windows 10 preview as a virtual pc. i click start menu and a short menu comes up. how can i expand this to normal size 2366