Windows 10: Processes with elevation terminated randomly?

Discus and support Processes with elevation terminated randomly? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Lately, I've been experiencing a weird and new problem: Programs I run with elevation (i.e. as Administrator) have been randomly terminated. I'm not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by meh, Feb 25, 2016.

1. MEH
    meh Win User

Processes with elevation terminated randomly?

Lately, I've been experiencing a weird and new problem: Programs I run with elevation (i.e. as Administrator) have been randomly terminated. I'm not sure why this is happening. Is this a new Windows 10 security feature?

Examples: I run Process Hacker with elevation to access all its features and allow for services to be stopped, processes to be killed, etc. But Process Hacker is one of the applications that is itself being terminated soow at seemingly random intervals. It will be running, tray icons and all, then suddenly be terminated. I won't know it has been killed until I move the mouse cursor over its tray icons, which disappear as soon as I do.

There are several other examples of programs I always run with elevation. They are all being terminated at the same time, but I'm not doing it. It's pissing me off.

Nothing jumps out at me in the event logs.

Any ideas?

:)

2. The requested process requires elevation.

I'm trying to install visual basic redistributable and after agreeing terms and condition the error message pops up stated above.

Please guide me, how to resolve this issue.

Shreenath Nathany, Feb 25, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Feb 25, 2016
  4. dmex Win User

No.

Do you have the same problem with Task Manager or Regedit?

5. MEH
    meh Win User
    I can run task manager and regedit just fine. But, my antivirus has suddenly started having issues as well. Too many malware red flags. I'm going to restore from a backup from about a week ago.

6. dmex Win User
    Yeah, it's likely malware terminating these processes and it's strange that they targeted Process Hacker but not built-in tools.

If you still have issues with Process Hacker being terminated, just send me a PM and I'll link you a custom build that bypasses the detection used by the malware (I'm one of project maintainers: About - Process Hacker).

-

7. MEH
    meh Win User
    I recognized your nick, couldn't remember where. Well I appreciate your work; PH is one of a very few applications I refuse to do without. I work for a huge company and was on a call with a guy from China, sharing my screen, and he saw that I was running PH. He recognized it, and said "That's a really nice utility." Not far from home I realize. /End of boring story.

Anyway, I restored from a full image backup. Scanned with F-Secure online scanner, came back clean. Scanning with Eset online scanner and HouseCall now (taking forever). Scanned with MBAM, which (as always) found nothing. Anything else I should do? I'm not seeing the find-hidden-process function in PH anymore.

PS wtf is that avatar

8. b1rd Win User

Hi meh,

I see that you and dmex are working on a solution, but I was wondering about the Reliability History? That should show the red warnings, with an option to find a solution. I saw that you already looked over the Event Log, so perhaps this won't show anything additional, but just a thought.

PS- Article is for Win-8, but it's the same.

9. MEH
    meh Win User
    Before I restored, the event log wasn't really showing anything, but that's the weird bit... It did have a bunch of unusual entries about the logs being full or something, but none of the usual stuff I'm used to seeing. At least some of the logs wouldn't seem to open at all. At the time, I thought the scumbag malware may have been doing that to prevent the use of event logs as a diagnostic measure, but I'm not sure.

Thema:

1. Processes with elevation terminated randomly? - Similar Threads - Processes elevation terminated

2. Terminal process in Task Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Terminal process in Task Manager: Hello,What is the process called Terminal, shown in the Task Manager? Its icon is a sort of a black box. I'd be happy if you could clarify.Thanks,ET https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/terminal-process-in-task-manager/f3eecb4a-3f65-427f-b157-240a206a778c
  3. Terminal process in Task Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Terminal process in Task Manager: Hello,What is the process called Terminal, shown in the Task Manager? Its icon is a sort of a black box. I'd be happy if you could clarify.Thanks,ET https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/terminal-process-in-task-manager/f3eecb4a-3f65-427f-b157-240a206a778c
  4. System32 keeps randomly opening and terminating child processes. Any tips on how to stop this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System32 keeps randomly opening and terminating child processes. Any tips on how to stop this?: For a few months now the system32 has been randomly popping up and this is what is on the screen:SUCCESS: The process with PID 8424 child process of PID 24800 has been terminated. SUCCESS: The process with PID 10568 child process of PID 24800 has been terminated. SUCCESS: The...
  5. Terminal randomly pops up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Terminal randomly pops up.: I am defaulting this to "Gaming", but this problem could apply to more categories.So, this CMD/Powershell window keeps popping up, it's empty and it randomly appears and disturbs me whenever I am doing something, no it does not happen only when I'm doing something, it pops up...
  6. Terminal randomly pops up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Terminal randomly pops up.: I am defaulting this to "Gaming", but this problem could apply to more categories.So, this CMD/Powershell window keeps popping up, it's empty and it randomly appears and disturbs me whenever I am doing something, no it does not happen only when I'm doing something, it pops up...
  7. Game Process Terminated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Process Terminated: Someone pleas help me solve the issue, I play some game and got force close like alt+f4 without notifycation, so i decide to check Event View and i got this-System-Provider[ Name] SmartGuard-EventID33[ Qualifiers]...
  8. Keep elevated powershell in Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Keep elevated powershell in Windows Terminal: I'm running Windows Terminal v.1.6.10571.0 and love having my Ubuntu, CMD and Powershell sessions all in WT. However, a few things I need to regularly do require me to elevate powershell. When I do this with 'Start-Process Powershell -Verb RunAs' it launches the elevated PS...
  9. Get elevated process list in command line

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Get elevated process list in command line: Is there a cmd or powershell command to know if a process (any process) is elevated or not? Or at least a list of running elevated processes with process id? I do know that you can get the list in task manager details page. There is a field called 'Elevated'. But I want...
  10. See if Process is Running as Administrator (elevated) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    See if Process is Running as Administrator (elevated) in Windows 10: How to: See if Process is Running as Administrator (elevated) in Windows 10 [img] Information A process is an instance of a program that is being executed. Each process running in Windows is assigned a unique decimal number called the process ID, or PID. Some...