Windows 10: Product code problems

Discus and support Product code problems in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a desktop with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I tried to upgrade to W10. In order to dual boot W7 and W10 I created an ISO DVD successfully and went to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by keithet, Aug 6, 2015.

1. keithet Win User

Product code problems

I have a desktop with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I tried to upgrade to W10. In order to dual boot W7 and W10 I created an ISO DVD successfully and went to use it. I booted from the DVD and when it asked for my product key (assume it wanted the W7 key) I entered the key xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx that is on the disk that I got with the computer. It was not accepted. I looked at properties on the W7 and it was xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx. Can't figure how to enter it. SO... I pressed "Change product key and entered the id on the genuine windows 7 pro 64 bit installation disk. It accepted it as legitimate but still shows the product key with the OEM key. I am at a loss as to how to do the custom installation so I can dual boot W7 or W10. The installation will not proceed with either product Id. I know I can proceed without entering a product key but what happens after I'm done and after time goes by I get a notice that I need to buy a new version of W10 or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

:)

keithet, Aug 6, 2015

2. problems with product code

i am trying to upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 it downloads ok but when i go to install it it asks for the product code which is located on nthe top of my toshiba satellite laptop after i enter it and hit next it says the product code is not valid any
    help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

Dewayne Wagaman

DewayneWagaman, Aug 6, 2015
  3. problems with product code

Dewayne -

If you're running the Upgrade from created media then you need to leave the Product Key blank and click Skip or Next to proceed. There is no key used at any time for Upgrade unless you do a

Clean Install Windows 10 Upgrade

which allows use of the old OS Product key after install to activate free Upgrade as described in Version 1511 FAQ in

Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

Here are steps compiled after helping with thousands of Upgrade cases that avoid any issues if they are all completed:

If confident your PC meets the Windows 10 Specifications and
    are aware of any listed unsupported OS features, then you can bypass Get Windows 10 app in the System Tray to
    Install Windows 10 using the media creation tool choosing
    the first option to automate the Upgrade which overcomes almost all issues with Get Windows 10 in the System Tray.

However in the same amount of time it takes to download that option, you can choose the second option "Create Media for another PC" to make bootable flash or DVD media to keep for any needed repairs or reinstall, and can be run from Desktop to Upgrade.

This media also gives you an extra option to Save Nothing during the Upgrade which overcomes Upgrade choking on corruption or bloated factory installs and gets as close to a superior Clean Install as an Upgrade can get.

With this media you can even do the superior Clean
    Install Windows 10 Upgrade
    to activate directly with the Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Product Key (even if embedded) as specified in the Version 1511 FAQ at the end of
    Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help.

But if you prefer to run an in-place Upgrade the media must be opened in Windows 7/8.1, then right click Setup file to Run as Administrator. If using Flash installer, set the Hard drive (or for UEFI: Windows Boot manager) first to boot in
    BIOS setup to keep it from restarting installation at reboots during Upgrade.

If asked do not insert a Product Key at any time, click Skip, Next or Do this later.

If you want to maximize chances for a successful Upgrade, then choose to Save Nothing so the Upgrade has much less to choke on and has less problems after install. Make sure your files are backed up separately and you have your program
    installers and any Product Keys for programs like Office.

To improve the Upgrade's chances turn off everything at Startup:

Type msconfig in Start Search box, right click System Config Utility to Run as Administrator. In Startup and Services tabs
    after making sure to Hide all MS Services disable everything except anti-virus, any synch, stickies, printer using scan.

Uninstall any anti-virus except Defender. Bloated AV's like Norton, McAfee, AVG and Avast need to have special
    Uninstallers (removal tools) for common antivirus software - ESET Knowledgebase.

It’s highly recommended to Create a backup System Image of
    your existing OS before upgrading, which can be recovered using the booted Windows installation media,
    Repair CD or
    Recovery flash drivein 20 minutes. Type Backup in Start Search box,
    in Backup and Recovery Center choose Create a System Image. You can also use a more flexible imaging program like free
    Macrium Imaging which allows recovery to any partition position
    on the hard drive.

Immediately after install, type Update in Start Search box to Check for Updates, expedite these through requested restart, then check again until no more are offered.

Next right click Start button to open Device Manager, import any drivers still missing from the PC or Device's Support Downloads webpage.
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows
    10 - Microsoft Community

Stick with built-in Defender in Windows 10 for best performance and adequate protection. If you get infected add the inexpensive Real Time protection from the best-in-class free malware scanner
    Malwarebytes. No one I’ve had do this has ever been infected again. I'd also periodically scan with free Malwarebytes
    and AdwCleaner scanners.

Feel free to ask back any questions and keep us posted on how it goes.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 6, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Product code problems

You have to do an upgrade from Windows 7 first. You cannot do a clean install first unless you buy a retail Windows 10 license. Use Macrium Reflect to make an image of your Windows 7. Upgrade the Windows 7 to Windows 10. Then you have the Windows 7 image to put back on a different partition, although it is illegal to dual boot a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 that was an upgrade from that same Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2015
Thema:

Product code problems

1. Product code problems - Similar Threads - Product code problems

2. product code

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    product code: ***moved on english forum*** Hello, I have renewed my family windows 10 subscription and some laptops require the product code for MS. Where can I find this info ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-code/e17eeb92-8749-4aac-8035-956af304d413
  3. Product Code

Product Code: I purchased a used computer off amazon. According to the product discription it came preloaded MS office 2010. Although the programs are loaded on the machine, it is not activated and asking for a product key. I am still waiting to hear back from the seller, but I was...
  4. Product code

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Product code: I purchased minecraft from the microsoft store and cant find the product key/code https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-code/625a44b3-7549-4c2d-92c7-0e2c6bb2862e
  5. Product Code

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product Code: My windows 10 computer crashed. It was originally updated from Windows 7, so I reinstalled Windows 7 and tried to upgrade to Windows 10. Now it's asking me for my product key which I don't have. My computer is registered at the Microsoft store, but I can't find the product...
  6. Product Code

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Code: How do I find my product code for my Windows PC on Windows 10? I need it for the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-code/2e7da973-4d44-484a-b44a-e2ff87bab135
  7. Product Code

Product Code: We recently bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1 with Windows 10 already installed. However when trying to activate Windows 10, the directions keeps asking for the Activation Code. Where is the Activation Code located? Angela...
  8. Product code

Product code: Hello, i recently downgraded my laptop to windows 7 but drivers were not available so i redownloaded windows 10 using my homemade windows usb stick i made from my other pc. It asked me for my microsoft account and automatically used my digital licence i have on my other pc....
  9. Product code

in Windows 10 Customization
    Product code: I purchased a HP laptop at Sam's Warehouse 3 days ago. They told me I had basic Word I do not want word office 365. I need the product code for basic word. Thank you Fran...
  10. product code

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    product code: Ive just bought 360 and I dont have a product code to activate powerpoint etc ... where do i find this as it wasnt on the confirmation email https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/product-code/23b8c939-c314-42fe-9d30-dfcdc90d9d8b