Windows 10: Product key not recognized

Discus and support Product key not recognized in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; According to my computer, Windows7 is activated and is a genuine product. But when I attempt to download W10, it does not recognize the 25 digit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by George D E, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Product key not recognized

According to my computer, Windows7 is activated and is a genuine product. But when I attempt to download W10, it does not recognize the 25 digit Product Key. I don't know what to do.

:)

George D E, Feb 19, 2016

2. The Product Key entered was not recognized as a valid Product Key.

I purchased a new laptop and when I was setting up, I upgraded to Windows 10. My activation code for MS Office is for Windows 7 & 8. How do I go about correcting this?

ZaharaFarbar, Feb 19, 2016
  3. The Product Key entered was not recognized as a valid Product Key.

Hi Zahara,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would request you to refer to suggestions provided in the Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa.

How to Activate and resolve common Product key issues in Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, Feb 19, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Product key not recognized

Where are you trying to download Windows 10 from? A product key has never been required to download Windows 10.

First off, to determine if you Windows 7 is genuinely activated please open an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt, run:

slmgr /dlv

and post the results. There will be no unique identifying information in it, so you don't have to blank anything out. You want to see something about RETAIL channel activation in the results. If you see KMS in the results instead then you Windows 7 activation is likely false designed to fake a genuine activation.

NavyLCDR, Feb 19, 2016
  5. bobkn Win User
    I guess that the OP is using "download" as a synonym for "install". Not unusual.

I've never encountered this, but would the Win10 installer ask for Win7 license key, if the copy of Win7 that was being upgraded was activated by some illicit means?

bobkn, Feb 19, 2016
  6. OP said it was genuine -- but your guess is probably correct -- however -- Win10 would not activate using my Win7 key on my HP laptop, claimed it was "invalid". I had to resort to using the GenuineTicket method documented here in these forums. I would STRONGLY recommend that approach for anyone attempting to update a Win7 PC to Win10.

Mark Phelps, Feb 19, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The KMS spoofing method of activation will make Windows think it is contacting a KMS volume activation server for activation and will show as a genuine activation - but it will be using an invalid product key that cannot be used for normal activation with Microsoft - so when the user does a clean install, which wipes out the KMS spoofing, they find that they can't use their product key to activate it.

NavyLCDR, Feb 20, 2016
  8. Product key not recognized

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to my query. I have to say some of the suggestions assume a tech capability beyond me.

I think I will find the original receipt, go back to the shop, and ask them for the Product Key, then try again. I suspect it was an unauthorized copy. Maybe that will work.

George D E, Feb 20, 2016
  9. Ztruker Win User
    You didn't answer the original question.
    Check and make sure you are downloading and installing the version that matches what your Windows 7 is.

Ztruker, Feb 20, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    A legitimate license for Windows 7 would have come with a certificate of authenticity with the product key printed on it.

NavyLCDR, Feb 20, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    The OP also did not post the results of slmgr /dlv either. I'm betting it is a KMS activation done by this computer shop.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Product key not recognized

1. Product key not recognized - Similar Threads - Product key recognized

2. Windows Not Recognizing Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Not Recognizing Product Key: Refer below background before occurrence of issue. 1. My laptop is running Windows 10, which was upgraded from Windows 8. 2. I started the Update & Recovery process for Windows 10 due to performance issues. 3. At some point during the process, I accidentally shut down the...
  3. Windows Not Recognizing Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Not Recognizing Product Key: Refer below background before occurrence of issue. 1. My laptop is running Windows 10, which was upgraded from Windows 8. 2. I started the Update & Recovery process for Windows 10 due to performance issues. 3. At some point during the process, I accidentally shut down the...
  4. Windows Activation does not recognize my Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Activation does not recognize my Product Key: I've read all the similar problems I could find but they refer to options that don't seem to exist any more.The old PC is being dismantled and a new machine motherboard, CPU, M2 drive, memory, case is being set up. We previously bought a permanent Windows 10/11 Home license...
  5. Windows Activation does not recognize my Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation does not recognize my Product Key: I've read all the similar problems I could find but they refer to options that don't seem to exist any more.The old PC is being dismantled and a new machine motherboard, CPU, M2 drive, memory, case is being set up. We previously bought a permanent Windows 10/11 Home license...
  6. when I enter product key for microsoft 2007 it did not recognize my product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when I enter product key for microsoft 2007 it did not recognize my product key: when I enter the product key for microsoft 2007 it did not recognize my product key. what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-enter-product-key-for-microsoft-2007-it-did/9eb8591c-c972-4350-9183-d2bb1117bede
  7. when I enter product key for microsoft 2007 it did not recognize my product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    when I enter product key for microsoft 2007 it did not recognize my product key: when I enter the product key for microsoft 2007 it did not recognize my product key. what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-enter-product-key-for-microsoft-2007-it-did/9eb8591c-c972-4350-9183-d2bb1117bede
  8. when I enter product key for microsoft 2007 it did not recognize my product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. windows 10 pro product key not recognized by installer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 pro product key not recognized by installer: I have a brand new product key from Microsoft for Win10 Pro. I have a blank system with new components, no existing windows installation on it. I created the dvd installer with the media creation tool and the key is not recognized. I see no way to proceed at this point....
  10. Windows 10 Not Recognizing Desktop for Reactivation- No Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Not Recognizing Desktop for Reactivation- No Product Key: Okay, so here's the issue. I built my pc years ago and had a physical copy of windows 10 that I installed on my computer. Just recently I decided to upgrade some parts on my pc and that included a new motherboard. I obviously lost my windows product key because it's been...