Windows 10: Product Key on Clean Install

Discus and support Product Key on Clean Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, I did a clean install. Seems like everything is fine, except I had to enter the Product Key to finish... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Blue Owl, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Blue Owl Win User

Product Key on Clean Install

After I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, I did a clean install. Seems like everything is fine, except I had to enter the Product Key to finish the installation. The clean install is activated.

I understood from what I have been reading here that once I did the free upgrade, I could do a clean install, skip the Product Key prompt and Windows would get the Product Key. I skipped at the beginning of the install, but could not finish at then end without putting the the product Key. I did and it finished.

Did I do something wrong? Or did I misunderstand? Wanted to clear this up before I go any farther installing all my apps, etc., in case I have to re-install because I did something wrong.

Thanks

:)

Blue Owl, Aug 4, 2015
  2. LloydS55 Win User

Product key needed for Windows 10 clean install on dead PC that had Windows 7?

I have a HP PC that was running an OEM copy of Windows 7 Home (pre-installed). The hard drive quit last week, so I figured it would just be simpler to upgrade to Windows 10 with a clean install. I have the product key for the copy of Windows 7 that was
    on the old drive, but Microsoft rejects it with an error code 0xc004f050. There must be a way to use this product key for a clean install as an upgrade instead of having to re-install 7 and then run the 10 upgrade- any suggestions?

LloydS55, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Isha Soni Win User
    Product key needed for Windows 10 clean install on dead PC that had Windows 7?

Hi,

It will require that you are running a previous qualifying version and start the upgrade from within the qualifying version. You can initiate a clean install after completing the Upgrade.

You cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through

Windows Update
    or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function
    in Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).

Refer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

How to: Perform a Clean Install or Reinstall of Windows 10

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, please post back for further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Aug 4, 2015
  4. LittleJay Win User

Which product key did you enter? I don't remember seeing any when I did the upgrade first and when I clean installed W10 later, it activated automatically

LittleJay, Aug 4, 2015
  5. Blue Owl Win User
    I ran "KetFinder" on both my PCs after the free upgrade.

Blue Owl, Aug 4, 2015
  6. wrogg Win User
    I downloaded the Files as all three PC's had the "we are validating your PC and working closely with our partners" message.
    As soon as Windows 10 was installed (I forgot to check if it was activated) I clicked delete everything reset.
    It activated with the code, took a while as the servers were busy but I never entered any code at all during installation. It now says it's activated.
    It makes it's own code, that is tied to that PC. I believe when the PC dies you have to buy new Windows.
    That's why I'm keeping Windows 7 on my gaming PC that get updated every 6 months.

wrogg, Aug 4, 2015
  7. LittleJay Win User
    Thanks for the response! Strange that you needed to enter a product key to activate and I didn't. And from what I've read so far, I think auto activation of a clean install is what is suppose happen, after you do an upgrade first.

I see what you are saying. I skipped the prompt in both cases and it did indeed activate, so you probably could have as well.

LittleJay, Aug 4, 2015
  8. Blue Owl Win User

Did you get any prompts to enter the Product Key?

I got the prompt at the very beginning and clicked "skip". The on the final screen of the install I got the prompt. "It now time to enter the Product Key". I did and clicked finish.
    Maybe I could have just clicked on "finish" without entering the key

Blue Owl, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Product Key on Clean Install - Similar Threads - Product Key Clean

2. Activation of Win11 Clean install with Win10 product key doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activation of Win11 Clean install with Win10 product key doesn't work: Hi, I'm located in The Netherlands and running licensed Win10 Home English.I have 2nd Hard drive on which I want to do a clean install of Win11. Just to get used to Win11 and migrate slowly, app by app, to Win11.My PC meets all the requirements for Win11 and I had no hardware...
  3. Clean Install of Windows - Change Product Key Access Denied

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean Install of Windows - Change Product Key Access Denied: Hello all, my old system was such a mess with multiple office version and windows insider builds causing me all kinds of headaches. I recently performed a clean install of windows 10 pro and as I setup my user account and proceeded to log into my windows account...
  4. Clean install with product ID

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install with product ID: After having installed Windows (and not having registered it) windows automatically assigned a product key and allows to customize it. Should I change it or it can be left and what is it about? 138726
  5. Product Key installed

Product Key installed: How can I see what product key is installed on my computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-installed/cb899d5a-da4f-4d55-aaf8-a66bd88befae"
  6. Clean install of Windows 10 - Product Key wont work

Clean install of Windows 10 - Product Key wont work: Hello, I recently built a new PC. My previous version of Windows 10 was installed on my old sata hdd. I upgraded to a new SSD hd and upgraded my motherboard. I ran the install of windows 10 onto my new SSD hd and reformatted my old sata for backup files. When I entered my...
  7. Windows 10 product key not working after clean install

Windows 10 product key not working after clean install: I installed windows 10 on top of Windows 7, but then did a clean install afterwards from an image on a USB drive. I wrote down the product key from the first install after scraping it with a program. The clean install of 10 went fine, but it will not accept this product...
  8. Which product key is needed for clean install of windows

Which product key is needed for clean install of windows: Hello, I'm in the process of backing up data and product keys for a fresh install of Windows. Upon digging on google for how to find your windows product key, I found several ways to find it. My HP has a COA sticker with a Windows 7 product key. I also used Produkey, which...
  9. Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install?

Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install?: Hi Guys A few questions.... Could someone please clarify, Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install? If so how/where? If not when performing a clean install, will skipping the product key prompt, then activating once desktop appears automatically...
  10. Cannot view product key on clean install

Cannot view product key on clean install: Ok, the more I read the more confused I get. Here's my problem: Have a computer with OEM Windows 7, been on there a few years. It's becoming somewhat goofy and decided to do a clean install of Windows 10. So, bought an OEM cd of 10 from Amazon ( home version). Came today....