Windows 10: Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10

Discus and support Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I started the upgrade from Win 7 Home Premium to 10. I entered the product key, but get the message "Product Key didn't work". I have repeated this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dusty100, Apr 30, 2016.

1. dusty100 Win User

Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10

I started the upgrade from Win 7 Home Premium to 10. I entered the product key, but get the message "Product Key didn't work". I have repeated this several times - I have the original disk & label, checked the key is correct via Belarc Advisor, have a message from Microsoft stating the system key is genuine etc.
    I see from Belarc that there is an OEM number + the Product Key that I have on the disc. I have tried both with same result.
    My broadband is very slow, so I downloaded the upgrade files again to a memory stick on a friends PC. The result is the same.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

:)

dusty100, Apr 30, 2016

2. win 10 wont recognize previous valid win7 serial

I have the same problem when I upgraded from Win 7. Win 10 would not accept my product key.

I have had a change in my Hard Drive and as a result I re-installed my Win 7 from the original disk (using FORMAT of CProduct Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10 :) and installed SP1.

Once everything was working, I installed the Win 10 from a USB drive and again Win 10 will not accept my Product Key.

I am using a Dell Studio 1558 Laptop and Win 10 runs great, BUT will not activate.

Please help - Mike

MikeEhrlich, Apr 30, 2016
  3. Darryl360 Win User
    Win 10 Fail

Hours and hours wasted. Followed all the steps downloading files and tools and Win 10 ISO and attempting to recover win 10. Your programmers need to go back to school and learn their own system. You need a repair tool that works and can accept your upgraded
    key code from windows 7 to win 10. You repair would no accept my key code which was the code when I upgraded my active and verified windows 7.

YOUR PRODUCT FAILED

Darryl360, Apr 30, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

Don't enter the product key when you are installing Windows 10, just skip it...and let it finish ....then it should activate.

OldMike65, Apr 30, 2016
  5. Try OldMike's suggestion first.

Did you upgrade from a beta version of 7?

Is another computer using your copy of 7?

Did you previously upgrade to 8 from your copy of 7?

Vince Massi, Apr 30, 2016
  6. dusty100 Win User
    There is no option to skip the product key - either try again or quit.
    Windows 7 was not a beta copy. It has not been installed on any other computers. I did not install Win 8, but my version of 7 has been updated regularly.

dusty100, Apr 30, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Did you download the correct version of Windows 10 ??
    Did you download this Windows 10 from Tech Bench ??
    Here is a link for Windows 10
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html

OldMike65, Apr 30, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

OldMike65, Apr 30, 2016
  9. dusty100 Win User
    I'm sure I downloaded the correct version. The 2nd time I downloaded the ISO file it was on a friends PC because my broadband is so slow. Does the ISO have to be downloaded by the PC to be upgraded?

dusty100, Apr 30, 2016
  10. dusty100 Win User
    Showkey quotes the correct ket I have been using.

dusty100, Apr 30, 2016
  11. hawkman Win User
    according to your specs youve got a gigabyte motherboard, = NON OEM.
    your code will never work, if its an off the shelf comp.

hawkman, Apr 30, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Well the reason I asked was because your having trouble with Windows not accepting your key. It should if you are installing the right version. If you are not installing the right version your key will not work.
    Any iso as long as its the correct version will work on any PC.
    Thing that also makes me curious is that you can't skip putting in your key......any Windows Upgrade should allow you to skip entering the key.....yours does not. So if your NOT upgrading but doing a Clean install , that would explain Windows not allowing you to skip entering your key. Clean Install has to have the key 1st. Upgrade does not. Their are different methods to install Windows 10.

OldMike65, Apr 30, 2016
  13. OldMike65 Win User

Would you like to explain that a little more??
    Any Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 can be upgraded to Windows 10. Period.
    As long as its a Legal Version of Windows.

OldMike65, Apr 30, 2016
  14. dusty100 Win User
    Sorry, I don't understand! The PC was built for me and windows 7 was installed with OEM software. The software has been verified by MS.

dusty100, Apr 30, 2016
  15. hawkman Win User
    your last line says it all.
    He's stated earlier tried 2 keys, Belarc + sticker, that option is only applicable to OEM comps.
    Gigabyte, apart from a very few exceptions, do not supply to OEM's

Roy

hawkman, Apr 30, 2016
Thema:

1. Product Key (Win 7) not accepted when upgrading to 10 - Similar Threads - Product Key accepted

2. unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.: unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted . when I enter product key some numbers are not accepted by the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-win8-to-win-81-product-key-is/2c8615b2-0905-4537-9a46-ec81a2162dae
  3. unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted.: unable to upgrade win8 to win 8.1. product key is not accepted . when I enter product key some numbers are not accepted by the system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-win8-to-win-81-product-key-is/2c8615b2-0905-4537-9a46-ec81a2162dae
  4. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Key Not Accepted: I am hoping to transfer a Windows 10 Pro product key from an old laptop to a new Surface Go currently running in S mode.I have copied the key from the old laptop, removed the product key from it, cleared its registry, and have removed the old laptop from my Microsoft...
  5. Product Key Not Accepted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product Key Not Accepted: I am hoping to transfer a Windows 10 Pro product key from an old laptop to a new Surface Go currently running in S mode.I have copied the key from the old laptop, removed the product key from it, cleared its registry, and have removed the old laptop from my Microsoft...
  6. Win 10 Pro product key not accepted

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro product key not accepted: I purchased a new laptop with Win 10 Home digital license. At the same time I purchased a Win 10 Pro update disk. When I try to change product key under Activation, the product key is not accepted. "The product key you entered didn't work"....
  7. Upgraded to Windows 10, not accepting product key to go back to Windows 7.

Upgraded to Windows 10, not accepting product key to go back to Windows 7.: Recently, I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 (pro) to Windows 10, but due to slowness and inconvenience etc., I now want to go back to Windows 7. I can't remember if it was more or less than a month ago, but I foolishly removed the system save to free up space anyway. I have...
  8. Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key

Win 10 upgrade from Win 7 not active ..requires product key: GDay Win 10 users, Well I have successfully installed the Win 10 upgrade on 2 computers but failed on the third. I installed Win 10 from my Win 7 update (upgrade not clean install). During the process it asked for my Win 7 product key which I inputted and it was...
  9. Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade

Valid Win7 Product Key not accepted by Win 10 upgrade: Having upgraded my laptop and Surface Pro to Win 10, my neighbour asked me to do the same for his laptop running its original OEM applied Win7.1 Home premium. Unlike my 2 machines, when the win10 upgrade gets to the Product Key entry screen, there is no "Skip" option and...
  10. Win 7 to Win 10 without a Win 10 product key?

Win 7 to Win 10 without a Win 10 product key?: Hello All: I just did the free upgrade from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home. I was quite surprised to see that MS still offered the free upgrade. MY PC is a CTO which came with Win 7 Home, 6 years ago. The upgrade went smoothly with the exception of a few new drivers for some...