Windows 10: Product Key

Discus and support Product Key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey guys, buddy has a computer running Windows 10 , his product key sticker says, Windows 10 Home for refurbished computers. He's been having problems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Claw, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Claw Win User

Product Key

Hey guys, buddy has a computer running Windows 10 , his product key sticker says, Windows 10 Home for refurbished computers. He's been having problems and wants to reinstall Windows so he went to the Microsoft site and downloaded Windows 10 and saved it to USB. What he needs to know is will his current product key work for the new install even though the sticker says, for refurbished computers ? Thanks

:)

2. DaveM121 Win User

Update Product Key using (Change Product Key)?

Hi DarrellR1, yes inserting a new Product Key will change the licencing on the Microsoft Servers for your Laptop.

The Digital Entitlement will be updated to match your new Product Key and if you ever need to install Windows 10, then it is the new Product that will be recognized as being attached to your laptop . . .

DaveM121, Jan 10, 2017
  3. DarrellR1 Win User
    Update Product Key using (Change Product Key)?

Hi All.

Can someone please tell me if the option (Settings > Change Product Key) will remove the previous license key and replace it with my new one, thus linking it to my new Microsoft Account?

I have recently purchased a refurbished Ex Demo "HP Elite-Book Revolve 810 G3" Laptop with Windows Pro 10 x64 installed & registered to HP (Hewlett-Packard).

I would like to remove all traces of their (HP) account and replace it with mine, now being the legitimate owner.

Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards

DarrellR1, Jan 10, 2017
  4. dencal Win User

Product Key

No need to enter key....activation is done by motherboard.

dencal, Jan 10, 2017
  5. Claw Win User
    His machine used to be a Vista according to the old sticker on it. Would that make a difference ?

6. Berton Win User
    Win10 does not Upgrade over WinVista or WinXP, has to be a clean install, usually from a bootable device.

As for downloading to a USB device, that normally would be for storage. If it's an .iso file that is used by a DVD Burning program to create the bootable DVD. There is a procedure with the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB Thumb drive and install.

Berton, Jan 10, 2017
  7. Porthos Win User
    Dont worry the disk you created will work just fine. In fact if it was already activated on that computer skip the key and it will activate it self when you go on line.

Win 10 is now sold on refurb computers and this is what the Op has.

Porthos, Jan 10, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

Product Key

I guess that's my bad, forgot to Quote the post I replied to.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Product Key

1. Product Key - Similar Threads - Product Key

2. Windows is activated with Generic Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is activated with Generic Product Key: Hello,To summarize the issue, when I install Windows Home or Pro, Windows takes the license from my Microsoft account. However, this license is the key known as "Generic Product Key". There is no OEM license on my device. When installing Windows, I check the "I do not have a...
  3. Windows is activated with Generic Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is activated with Generic Product Key: Hello,To summarize the issue, when I install Windows Home or Pro, Windows takes the license from my Microsoft account. However, this license is the key known as "Generic Product Key". There is no OEM license on my device. When installing Windows, I check the "I do not have a...
  4. product key is not working

product key is not working: product key is not working. need to install the MS applications. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-is-not-working/9814414a-2a25-47fa-9982-6ff294d369ea
  5. product key is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    product key is not working: product key is not working. need to install the MS applications. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-is-not-working/9814414a-2a25-47fa-9982-6ff294d369ea
  6. product key is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. need to purchase product key for windows 8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need to purchase product key for windows 8: help me purchase a windows 8 product key so I can upgrade to windows 10. windows 8 is inactive from motherboard, it need activation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-purchase-product-key-for-windows-8/7b0896e5-ac4b-474e-9de3-7600fa5508b0
  8. need to purchase product key for windows 8

need to purchase product key for windows 8: help me purchase a windows 8 product key so I can upgrade to windows 10. windows 8 is inactive from motherboard, it need activation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-purchase-product-key-for-windows-8/7b0896e5-ac4b-474e-9de3-7600fa5508b0
  9. How do I recover my Windows 11 product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover my Windows 11 product key?: I recently have reset my Lenovo laptop as it was getting very slow, after the reset when the windows was reinstalled I somehow lost the Windows product key that came with the laptop itself I did not purchase any key from my side. After this incident I taught something might...
  10. How do I recover my Windows 11 product key?

How do I recover my Windows 11 product key?: I recently have reset my Lenovo laptop as it was getting very slow, after the reset when the windows was reinstalled I somehow lost the Windows product key that came with the laptop itself I did not purchase any key from my side. After this incident I taught something might...