Windows 10: Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search

Discus and support Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Program files (.exe) which are not installed (and so don't have a shortcut) are not being found by Windows search. Shortcuts, help files, folders etc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lx07, Oct 16, 2015.

1. lx07 Win User

Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search

Program files (.exe) which are not installed (and so don't have a shortcut) are not being found by Windows search. Shortcuts, help files, folders etc with the same name all show up.

Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search [​IMG]

Indexing is complete and .exe is defined (as default) in indexing options to Index Properties Only using the File Properties Filter. If I open up the old Windows 8 fly-out style search then .exe are found so they must be in the index.

Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search [​IMG]

I found this thread which is the same http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/windows-7-search-doesnt-work but the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes registry key doesn't exist in 10.

Any ideas how to make this work in the normal Windows search? (I'm not interested in any third party search tool).

:)

2. Sannie04 Win User

Windows 10 search won't find files, folders and exe's

The search function was fine in windows 7. After I upgraded I have been unable to search for exe's, files and folders. Some files are found, most aren't. I'm not sure why. I thought this was because the search was case sensitive, but after today - having
    been unable to find mixcraft7.exe when it was typed exactly as spelled in the file name. I'm not sure what is going on. When I type mixcraft, it finds mixcraft 4 but not 7 (4 is 32bit, 7 is 64bit).

I've tried indexing, and rebuild indexing etc. I haven't found a solution yet - it's weird, I can't find out what's going wrong. I've had a look in the 'all apps' menu. Mixcraft 4 is there, along with it's exe shortcut - great!. Mixcraft 7 is also there,
    but with no exe shortcut - It has files, though. So when I search mixcraft 7 it comes up with Mixcraft 4 exe and an empty mixcraft 7 folder for projects.

It's quite frustrating as some programs I have forgotten where they are located and haven't been able to successfully search for them. I've instead, had to manually search and find these programs.

With windows 7 I was able to successfully search for programs even when I only knew part of the name. Every program and file with a similar name would be found. Any practical help would be appreciated.

Sannie04, Oct 16, 2015
  3. andyl_991 Win User
    windows 10 search option doesn't find apps

this may be even more serious! A search for * .dll returned only 100 files (all Microsoft), all other .dll files were ignored

windows 10 search is filtering much more than exe's.

andyl_991, Oct 16, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, same thing. No exe's found.

My index includes the Sysinternals folder. An appropriate search in explorer finds procmon.exe.

Here's an odd thing: in 'Cortana' search/My Stuff, searching for 'procmon' gave, as you found, 'procmon.chm'. Searching for procmon.exe found nothing. I also tried 'procmon.*'. This time I got a message saying 'Windows is still indexing some files'. Yet I had waited for indexing to be complete- and it said so. I noted some other searches also led to 'Windows is still indexing some files'.

dalchina, Oct 16, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    I've put shortcuts in ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs for now (then it works) but it isn't a good solution.

6. dalchina New Member
    - yep, that's what I've got- so I have them in Classic Shell as normal start menu shortcuts, and of course, it can find them.

Hmm. So another minor Win 10 bug? But hey, I've no plan to use that search - or Cortana... even tho' 'Who created you?' etc is mildly amusing- once.

It did seem that a non-indexed search via Explorer was much faster than one using that search box (for the same thing)- which I gave up on.

dalchina, Oct 16, 2015
  7. Ztruker Win User
    The Win 10 image you posted shows Procmon.exe. Isn't that what you were looking for?

Ztruker, Oct 16, 2015
  8. Berton Win User

The Search on the Taskbar includes Cortana, didn't care for that and also didn't want to search the Web but only the PC so went into Settings on that panel and turned those two features off then did a Search for *.exe and got a whole bunch of results.

Berton, Oct 16, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    Both images are from Win10. The top one is from pressing the *Start key and typing proc and doesn't show it, the second is from opening the old style search ("C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Search.lnk") and it does.

10. AveYo Win User
    It would be wasteful to index every single (orphan) file under Program Files. Gigabytes of game files etc.
    Actually, this was the old behavior that people complained about because of performance concerns, in previous versions of Windows.
    So, if it's a portable program, please add it yourself to the programs list.
    Or use a proper file manager with a proper search, like Total Commander or it's alternatives.

AveYo, Oct 17, 2015
  11. lx07 Win User
    I don't think you understand. They are not in program files and they are indexed - just not shown in search results.

In indexing options you can chose what to index but as they are in user folders they are indexed by default.

12. AveYo Win User
    And I'm telling you that's not how it works.
    Programs must be registered as programs, else won't show.
    This is a (security?!) "feature".

AveYo, Oct 17, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

AVeYo: so what do you think of this result:
    I have Easeus PCTrans Pro installed.

Its folder, like Sysinternals' folder, is indexed.
    It contains a file PCTrans.exe.

I search ('My Stuff') for PCTrans.exe.
    The result is (interestingly enough) PCTrans.exe.manifest (which does exist in the same folder)

PCTrans.exe is not listed.

dalchina, Oct 17, 2015
  14. AveYo Win User
    Working as intended?
    So if you want those to show, make sure you have shortcuts to them added to the Start Menu,
    or
    their folders are added to the PATH environment variable - that's why search finds ping and other cmd tools

[This PC->Properties->Advanced system settings->Environment Variables...->System variables: Path->Edit: add ;yourpath]

AveYo, Oct 17, 2015
  15. dalchina New Member
    Ok, I'll be more specific. Easeus PC TransPro is installed. When I installed it, I allowed it to create a subfolder in my start menu. I moved that folder under 'Utilities' in the start menu. It is still there. Thus an installed program .exe file with a corresponding start menu shortcut entry created when the program was installed is not found by using the Cortana search bar.

dalchina, Oct 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search - Similar Threads - Program files exe

2. Suspicious .exe program found in Program Files x86

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Suspicious .exe program found in Program Files x86: Hi, I found a folder in my Program Files x86 folder called MonthPigana. The only thing it contains is a .exe file called MonthPigana.exe. There seems to be nothing else I can find on my pc related to this program, nor could I find any information about it on the internet. I...
  3. Suspicious .exe program found in Program Files x86

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suspicious .exe program found in Program Files x86: Hi, I found a folder in my Program Files x86 folder called MonthPigana. The only thing it contains is a .exe file called MonthPigana.exe. There seems to be nothing else I can find on my pc related to this program, nor could I find any information about it on the internet. I...
  4. Suspicious .exe program found in Program Files x86

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unrecognized .exe file found.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unrecognized .exe file found.: Hey! I have Windows 10 20H2 installed in my computer. Once I was using my computer I just went for Data Usage Overview just for check in. While I was scrolling down I found an .exe file named 71c8.tmp.exe. I just want to know whether it is a malware or any other kind of file...
  6. Windows search not finding exe files of portable apps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows search not finding exe files of portable apps?: Hi, I'm used to starting most apps by hitting the Win button and starting typing the name of the app, which sends me to search results. This way I can quickly start even apps that don't have icons on the desktop or quick launch bar. It used to work for my portable apps too...
  7. Some of the program are not found when searching on search function

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some of the program are not found when searching on search function: I am finding myself in this situation where I can't seem to find the ordinary app that I use on the search, I have few programs like signal, simplenote and java eclipse that was easily accessible through search function. They are not showing, just the installation file. Even...
  8. Program's exe file missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program's exe file missing: Hello, So I ran into this issue where a program I downloaded Photofiltre 7 is now missing it's executable. It does even if I uninstall and reinstall the program. The installation shows the exe file being created, but than, the shortcut for the exe is blank, and the exe file...
  9. Opening a file found in Search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening a file found in Search: In the latest version of Windows, when I search for a document and click on one of the files that is found it now opens in Edge browser instead of the default app on the computer - this happens with Excel, Word or pdf files. How do I make the files open in the appropriate...
  10. search - some files not found

in Windows 10 Support
    search - some files not found: Hi, Why some files are not found on my system ? For instance, a folder have files "02-Bad Boy" and "03-Any Time". If I do ctrl-f "Bad", I found "02-Bad Boy". If I do ctrl-f "Any", I don't find "03-Any Time". I have to type "*Any", ans asterisk before, to find...