Windows 10: Program Not Showing On Desktop, But Shows on Icon...Twice Now!

Discus and support Program Not Showing On Desktop, But Shows on Icon...Twice Now! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I had an issue with Firefox where if I clicked the Taskbar icon, the program would not show on the desktop. HOWEVER, if you hover over the icon, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by LT2000, Aug 19, 2015.

1. LT2000 Win User

Program Not Showing On Desktop, But Shows on Icon...Twice Now!

I had an issue with Firefox where if I clicked the Taskbar icon, the program would not show on the desktop. HOWEVER, if you hover over the icon, it showed what it would look like if it were expanded. I restarted it in safe mode and got it to work again.

Just now WORD is doing the same thing. I had 3 WORD windows open and then they stopped showing at some point. However, they appear if I hover over the icon (set to "always combine, hide labels" in taskbar). I can see that they are in the same state that I left them, but they won't show on the desktop if I click them.

So right now, WORD won't open at all, even though the icon thinks it is open. This is really a problem since I need to finish some work with WORD ASAP.

:)

LT2000, Aug 19, 2015
  2. peinkc Win User

Missing apps after W10 creators update

Missing desktop icons has happened to me twice now and found a fix that has worked for me

Right click the DESKTOP

click on VIEW

uncheck SHOW DESKTOP ICONS

close.

Right click the DESKTOP

click on VIEW

check SHOW DESKTOP ICONS

Everything is back as it should be.

peinkc, Aug 19, 2015
  3. peinkc Win User
    Desktop icons missing after Windows 10 update

Missing desktop icons has happened to me twice now and found a fix that has worked for me

Right click the DESKTOP

click on VIEW

uncheck SHOW DESKTOP ICONS

close.

Right click the DESKTOP

click on VIEW

check SHOW DESKTOP ICONS

Everything is back as it should be.

peinkc, Aug 19, 2015
  4. LT2000 Win User

I *think* I found the issue. For some reason, I have to connect both my HDMI and Display Port cable to make this ultrawide monitor work (not sure why that is, but it is). Anyway, I then went to Settings/Display/Multiple Displays (since there were 2) and set it to "duplicate these displays". I think it has to do with the ultrawide acting as two virtual side by side displays or something. Not sure. So I think WORD got stuck on one of them...or something. Who knows. Hoping this fix will stick.

LT2000, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Program Not Showing On Desktop, But Shows on Icon...Twice Now! - Similar Threads - Program Showing Desktop

2. Taskbar Icon showing up twice when program is in use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar Icon showing up twice when program is in use: Hello,When I start a program that's on my taskbar, it comes up with an additional icon. It seems to only happen with two programs specifically File Explorer, and a program called Newforma. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? See sn...
  3. Taskbar Icon showing up twice when program is in use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar Icon showing up twice when program is in use: Hello,When I start a program that's on my taskbar, it comes up with an additional icon. It seems to only happen with two programs specifically File Explorer, and a program called Newforma. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? See sn...
  4. Desktop Icons not showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons not showing: Hello I have an issue with desktop icons not appearing in the Desktop FOLDER The icons appear if I look at the Desktop directly. If you look at screenshot, TeamViewer shortcut, The Outer Worlds shortcut and Steam shortcut do not appear in the Desktop folder. [ATTACH]...
  5. hidden icons on desktop now showing!?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    hidden icons on desktop now showing!?: Hey - i want to hide the desktop icons for some of my programmes/apps. however, since a recent update they show but slightly greyed out! anyway i can remove it from my desktop without deleting the app? submitted by /u/personanonymous [link] [comments]...
  6. Icons not showing but text showing on desktop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Icons not showing but text showing on desktop.: Hi! This is my first time on here and i need help so ill get straight to the point. So a few minutes ago as im writing this, i restarted my computer because my taskbar wasnt showing. So it turned back on, the taskbar was showing, but my icons were not but the text or title...
  7. Outlook 2016 showing twice in default programs.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 2016 showing twice in default programs.: I have a user with a fairly new computer running Windows 10 Pro. He has Office 2016 H&B and for whatever reason his outlook shows twice in default programs. I don't know for sure but this seems to be causing several things not to work correctly. This includes the built in...
  8. Desktop icons not showing

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons not showing: [img] As you can see from the above desktop icons are not showing. This happened after resizing desktop icons and then rebooting. I do not know what to do to solve problem. Please can anyone advise. Thank you. 30452
  9. Desktop not showing now??

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop not showing now??: Everytime I try to return to my desktop, it just shows my apps. It doesn't show my desktop at all, besides my desktop background, and I have no idea how to revert these changes, or how I even got it like this, but I can't view my desktop. *Sad They aren't my running apps...
  10. Show Desktop icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Show Desktop icon: I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro and find that the 'Show Desktop' rectangular space at the far right side of the notification area is missing although posted desktop images Windows 10 have the same rectangular space. However, if I hover the cursor over the screen border in that...