Windows 10: Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar

Discus and support Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I have Firefox pinned to my taskbar, but when I run the program, it opens up another icon in the taskbar to indicate that it's running. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by YanAndrew, Jul 24, 2016.

1. YanAndrew Win User

Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar

Hi Guys,

I have Firefox pinned to my taskbar, but when I run the program, it opens up another icon in the taskbar to indicate that it's running. The other browser I use does not do that. In fact, I do not remember Firefox doing that previously. It will just "underscores" the pinned icon on the taskbar to indicate that the program is running.

How do I stop Firefox from opening another icon when it runs? Please see image below:

Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar [​IMG]

Regards,
    Andrew

:)

YanAndrew, Jul 24, 2016
  2. mlg63 Win User

Windows 10 Update Deleted Microsoft Office, Adobe, And A Lot Of Other Stuff!! How Do I Get It Back?

You don't need the icons to run a program. Icons are only shortcuts to the programs, not the program itself. The program is still on your computer. Open the Run box by right clicking on the Start button and Type
    winword in the run box then OK.

You should right click on a Word shortcut icon (when it's found) and pin to the Taskbar for quick access.

mlg63, Jul 24, 2016
  3. ddfourni Win User
    Blank icons in taskbar on Windows 2016

We have an application that installs a command prompt shortcut and several other shortcuts whose icons do not show properly in the taskbar on "Windows Server 2016 Standard" when they are launched. We have deleted and re-built the icon cache, but these
    icons do not display properly in the task bar. If I set "Combine taskbar buttons" to "Never" the appropriate icon will display, but whenever the buttons on the taskbar are combined, they always display the blank icon. Is there something specific we are supposed
    to register in order to change the "grouped" icon in Windows Server 2016? Any advice is appreciated.

ddfourni, Jul 24, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Right Click on the Taskbar and select Properties. In the option for taskbar buttons make sure the setting is to always combine.

Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar [​IMG]

philc43, Jul 24, 2016
  5. YanAndrew Win User
    Hi Phil,

It's already set to that.

YanAndrew, Jul 24, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    Try pinning the new icon instead and then see if it continues to happen. If not, you can then delete the original icon.

philc43, Jul 24, 2016
  7. YanAndrew Win User
    Done that too. It didn't work. *cry

YanAndrew, Jul 24, 2016
  8. philc43 Win User

How do you start the Firefox program?

philc43, Jul 24, 2016
  9. YanAndrew Win User
    Either click on the icon pinned to my taskbar or the shortcut on my desktop or Start>All apps>Mozilla Firefox.

YanAndrew, Jul 24, 2016
  10. philc43 Win User
    Try making a completely new Taskbar icon by typing Firefox in the search box and then right clicking on the app that appears and selecting Pin to Taskbar. If that fails then I am out of suggestions and hope someone else has experienced the same problem and found a solution that they can share.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar - Similar Threads - Program shortcut opens

2. Shortcut or run command for taskbar battery icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcut or run command for taskbar battery icon: I'm trying to clean up my taskbar and get rid of as many of the system tray icons as I can. I've already figured out that I can access the taskbar clock from Win+Alt+D, and the wifi thing by using the run command "%windir%\explorer.exe ms-availablenetworks:" and creating a...
  3. Shortcut or run command for taskbar battery icon

Shortcut or run command for taskbar battery icon: I'm trying to clean up my taskbar and get rid of as many of the system tray icons as I can. I've already figured out that I can access the taskbar clock from Win+Alt+D, and the wifi thing by using the run command "%windir%\explorer.exe ms-availablenetworks:" and creating a...
  4. Program Icon Missing from Taskbar Shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    Program Icon Missing from Taskbar Shortcut: Windows Build 19042.928 I drag-n-dropped a Desktop Shortcut (that has the program icon showing) to my taskbar and clicked "Pin to taskbar." It got pinned, but lost its icon. Now, it's on the taskbar as a nondescript plain sheet of paper. I tried right-clicking it, expecting...
  5. Shortcuts on taskbar, next to program icons. How?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts on taskbar, next to program icons. How?: Hello, Fresh Windows 10 user here since a few days. Went from Vista to XP to 7 to 10. I never liked the "pinned to taskbar" way of dealing with icons. In Vista and XP I remember having a small selection of shortcuts on my taskbar, between the start button and the row with...
  6. Keyboard Shortcuts only work if another program is running

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard Shortcuts only work if another program is running: I am using Windows 10, my keyboard shortcuts only work if another program is running, which is inconvenient since I use the shortcuts to launch every program I use regularly. I have tried researching but apparently google and I are having communication problems. Any guidance...
  7. How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program?

How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program?: By right-clicking a program icon in the taskbar, right-clicking the name of the program in the pop-up, selecting "Properties" then "Change Icon" I was able to change the icon in the taskbar as long as the program isn't running. However, as soon as I start the program the icon...
  8. How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to change the taskbar icon for a *running* program?: By right-clicking a program icon in the taskbar, right-clicking the name of the program in the pop-up, selecting "Properties" then "Change Icon" I was able to change the icon in the taskbar as long as the program isn't running. However, as soon as I start the program the icon...
  9. MDB Shortcut Opens In Another Access Taskbar Icon

MDB Shortcut Opens In Another Access Taskbar Icon: Hi, I previously was using Microsoft Office 2016 standalone. I had created a shortcut for "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\MSACCESS.EXE" D:\MediaDB\MoviesMusic.accdb and pinned it to my taskbar. When I clicked on it, MDB file would open using the same...
  10. open program icons in taskbar

open program icons in taskbar: Windows has always let me toggle between open windows by either clicking on the item in the taskbar or on the window itself (for example, when I'm going back and forth between Excel and Chrome). But now the Chrome button is the only icon that brings its window to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. access shortcut opens in another access taskbar icon

2. steam opens another icon in task bar