Windows 10: Program will run in one account but not the other

Discus and support Program will run in one account but not the other in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a program called Cut List that when I click on the icon it will ask me if I want this program to makes changes to my computer. When I say yes a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jayhawk714, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Program will run in one account but not the other

I have a program called Cut List that when I click on the icon it will ask me if I want this program to makes changes to my computer. When I say yes a small blue circle appears for a few seconds then goes away but the program never starts. However, if I go to a second Microsoft account the on the same computer the same question comes up and when I click yes the program starts. Any ideas on what is going on?

:)

jayhawk714, Sep 29, 2015

2. Cannot open program in one account but can in another account.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

To better assist you, please answer the following questions:

1. What exactly are the programs that you are facing the issue with?

2. Do you receive any error message when you try to run the program?

3. Are you logged in as the administrator?

4. Did you right click on the setup file and select "run as administrator", when you installed the program?

Do get back to us with the response for further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Sep 29, 2015
  3. Cannot open program in one account but can in another account.

1.The two programs are CutList Plus and Incredimail Backup.

2. There are no error messages.

3. Yes, I am logged in as the Administrator.

4. Yes, I did the right click option.

Duane

Duanejayhawk714, Sep 29, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Program will run in one account but not the other

Hi, suggests some kind of conflict.. what's the difference between processes and services running and startups between the two accounts? Or sthg missing needed for the program to run.

Is there a clue in the event log?

dalchina, Sep 30, 2015
  5. All good questions. I'll have to research them and see if I can come up with some answers.

jayhawk714, Oct 1, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, unless you can find a specific indication e.g. the event log to point you in a particular direction, it sounds like a process of elimination. (Using Sysinternals Process monitor 'might' give you a clue, but the captures are long, albeit there are comprehensive filters. I.e. you could spend a lot of time and get nowhere).

Back up (e.g. disk image) before changing things so you are safe.

In the account where it fails to run, try a clean boot, and see if it runs. If it does, enable groups of programs until it doesn't.

If it still doesn't run, additionally and carefully deselect things using Autoruns (free). See if you can get it working.

If not, could be a driver conflict (not all drivers as you probably know are hardware drivers) - you may be able to disable these with Autoruns.

Then there might be a shell level problem - things that hook on to programs.
    You can use shellexview, hide all MS items, and use a 'binary chop' approach to disable all, see if the program works, and if it does, enable selectively until it doesn't.

dalchina, Oct 1, 2015
  7. Kanata Win User
    Some programs only run from the same profile as they were installed with. Could this be the case?

Kanata, Oct 1, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

...I'm presuming it was installed for 'All users' and that it is being launched normally from the start menu...
    jayhawk714 could you confirm that? Thanks! (And maybe you can give a URL for the program for completeness).

dalchina, Oct 1, 2015
  9. YOU
    You Win User
    What is the program's name? Most of the time, programs will have separate settings for each user, and if one user has it configured so that the program starts in the background and the other has it configured so that the program starts in a window (or something like that), something like this could happen. And if open Task Manager after running the program on the account that it doesn't work on, is it listed there?

10. When I open Cut List in the account that it works in it is listed in Task Manager. But it does not show in the account where it will not open. The programs name is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bridgewood Design\CutList Plus fx\CutList Plus.exe".

jayhawk714, Oct 4, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, have you yet run it in the account where it doesn't work, having done a clean boot?
    Hot to do a clean boot:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929135

What is the difference in the accounts- for example, is one an admin account, the other not? what is the difference in processes running between the two accounts?
    Can you confirm you are launching it in both cases from start menu shortcuts?
    Can you confirm it was installed for all users?
    Have you tried reinstalling it?

dalchina, Oct 4, 2015
  12. Both are run as admin accounts and are both launched by shortcuts from the desktop and start menu. Both are also set for all users. I reinstalled it just a few minutes ago and still have the same problem.

I'm about set to say the hell with it and just run it from the working account. Just bugs me why it will run from one account but not the other.*Mad

jayhawk714, Oct 5, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

Have you yet tried a clean boot in the non-working account?

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Program will run in one account but not the other - Similar Threads - Program run account

2. PC freezing when running games or others programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezing when running games or others programs: Hello guys! I got a problem with my pc since months. When I run some games like Minecraft, The Witcher 3 or GTA V, the pc freeze, I have to restart it with the button on the pc. It happens even when I don't launch games even if this mostly happens when I run games. I updated...
  3. PC freezing when running games or others programs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC freezing when running games or others programs: Hello guys! I got a problem with my pc since months. When I run some games like Minecraft, The Witcher 3 or GTA V, the pc freeze, I have to restart it with the button on the pc. It happens even when I don't launch games even if this mostly happens when I run games. I updated...
  4. PC freezing when running games or others programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to Program Task Scheduler to Run 3 Programs One After the Other?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Program Task Scheduler to Run 3 Programs One After the Other?: Hi guys.. I'm trying to program Task Scheduler to run 3 antivirus programs one after the other. How do I program it to do so? 181262
  6. Programs not running properly after transferring from one account to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs not running properly after transferring from one account to another: A while ago, when I updated my computer, Windows decided that it couldn't log into my Microsoft account, and it instead logged me into a temporary account. I didn't find a fix for this problem, but as a workarround, I created a 2nd local account and moved everything in my old...
  7. Supress all other programs and notifications when one program open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Supress all other programs and notifications when one program open: Hello, is there a way to supress all other programs and notifications when i have one app/program open (kodi) My OS is Windows 10 submitted by /u/filledk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fc1reb/supress_all_other_programs_and_notifications_when/
  8. Force One Program To Run Behind Another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Force One Program To Run Behind Another: I currently have Cortana set up to operate Kodi which works great, but after each command i have to tell it to close the window, it displays an error message and often displays in fullscreen, all of which is very clunky. I'm looking for a way to force Cortana to always run...
  9. Force One Program To Run Behind Another

in Windows 10 Support
    Force One Program To Run Behind Another: I currently have Cortana set up to operate Kodi which works great, but after each command i have to tell it to close the window, it displays an error message and often displays in fullscreen, all of which is very clunky. I'm looking for a way to force Cortana to always run...
  10. PROBLEM in switching between multiple programs, WHEN ONE PROGRAM IS BEHIND OTHER PROGRAM.

in Windows 10 Customization
    PROBLEM in switching between multiple programs, WHEN ONE PROGRAM IS BEHIND OTHER PROGRAM.: I'm having an issue when trying to switch between programs in Windows 10. The problem is that I'll have multiple windows on a monitor and when switching between them, the window isn't always brought to the front and will stay behind the previously focused window. An example...