Windows 10: Programs (Applications) not in list to be chosen as "defaults"

Discus and support Programs (Applications) not in list to be chosen as "defaults" in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am trying to set Quicken as my default PFM application (so that it will automatically open QFX file types), but even though the program is loaded and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MBFChi, Sep 22, 2015.

1. MBFChi Win User

Programs (Applications) not in list to be chosen as "defaults"

I am trying to set Quicken as my default PFM application (so that it will automatically open QFX file types), but even though the program is loaded and working it is not presented in the list of "applications" to be selected and used as a "default" application?? When I search for it, Windows does not find the application.

Also, I've set Internet Explorer as my "default browser" and chosen the option to open all associated file types, but whenever I click a URL or link embedded in any e-mail or document, I am asked what application I want to use to open it. I select "Always use this app" every time, but the next time I click on a link/URL I get the same annoying pop-up. How do I fix this??

:)

MBFChi, Sep 22, 2015

2. Default Programs

I am perplexed and not at all amused that certain programs are not available to be chosen as Default Programs. I was trying to set default programs, first by application, then by file type. In neither case was I able to choose Gnu Emacs, which would be
    a fine default program for a number of file extensions. Instead, the set Default Programs program in "Settings" told me that there were no possibilities, and that I should go shop in the Microsoft Store. I think that's a scam. What is wrong with this picture?

Bryan A. Zimmer, Sep 22, 2015
  3. Rohn007 Win User
    Can not open photo JPG file,,,plz plz plz need assistance...I am using window 10

Do you have an application installed to open the JPG with? If you were using one of the "Store" apps that came with Windows try this - In the start menu type "Default", - from the list displayed, select "Choose default application for each file type" -
    scroll down until you find JPG - click on the button/icon beside JPG - select an application If you were using a non-store, installed application - in start menu type "Control Panel" - start "Default Programs" - click on "Set your default Programs" - scroll
    through list of programs on left to find your desired application - single click on it - click on "Set this program as default" - OK out of the dialog

Rohn007, Sep 22, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, firstly, have you tried using the original Control Panel 'Default Apps'? I had a problem where using the new settings interface did not fully associate all protocols and extensions with my browser.

Secondly, you might like to look at a freeware program: 'Default Programs Editor' if you have a particular need or problem.
    Hope that helps.

dalchina, Sep 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Programs (Applications) not in list to be chosen as "defaults" - Similar Threads - Programs Applications list

2. Win 10 default program list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 default program list: I am 66 and set in my ways. I downloaded a copy of the antique version of MS Paint from the internet because it has features I'm used to. I got it to work in Win10, but the only way to ad a .jpg or .bmp file to it is to drag and drop it, then it works perfectly. I want to...
  3. Win 10 default program list

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 default program list: I am 66 and set in my ways. I downloaded a copy of the antique version of MS Paint from the internet because it has features I'm used to. I got it to work in Win10, but the only way to ad a .jpg or .bmp file to it is to drag and drop it, then it works perfectly. I want to...
  4. Win 10 default program list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. List of Windows 10 default programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    List of Windows 10 default programs: Hello. I'm the owner of an Inspiron 15 Dell laptop running, up to this date, the latest version of windows 10. I recently did a sweep of all my systems and deleted some default programs to make room for some newer downloads. However upon closer inspection I found there was...
  6. Adding programs to the list of Default Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding programs to the list of Default Apps: I run Windows 10 Home, latest patches. It the settings where I set Default Apps, and I set for example Default Vide player , there appears just a short list of apps. Kodi does not appear on this list, even though it is installed. How do I add applications to this list? I...
  7. Is it possible to add legacy applications to Defaults list...

Is it possible to add legacy applications to Defaults list...: I have an old Photoshop app (v.5.5) I've always used as the default to open .bmp, .jpg, .png and .tiff pics. Of course Win10 insists that I use their own 'Photos' app. Pshop isn't listed in any pic extension I look under. It sort of looks like in Settings/Apps/Apps and...
  8. Default e-mail client not chosen ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default e-mail client not chosen ?: Appears to be a 'one-off' situation where an APP I've used for many years to send reports (a PDF file) works fine on 2 of my 3 Dell Latitude laptops ... but can't get a proper operation on one laptop. All three laptops have new/fresh/clean installations of Windows 10 Pro...
  9. Installed program not on any of the default lists

Installed program not on any of the default lists: I have installed an update to InDesign (CC 2017 from CC 2015) and the program works fine. However, I cannot open files by default with it. I tried all 7 options given in the Windows forum (https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...a.html#option1) but CC 2017 didn’t show up on...
  10. Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists

Add a program to Default Programs or Protocol Handlers Lists: Hi guys, Does anyone have a Tutorial, link, or tested ideas on: 1. How to manually add a program to Default Programs List in Win 10, if it doesn't show up for a current user? I don't want to create a new user account for that even if its possible that way. 2. How to...