Windows 10: Programs automatically starting when I boot

Discus and support Programs automatically starting when I boot in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi chaps, I'm having a strange problem of Internet Explorer launching automatically when I boot. Not only that but I've found my Gog Galaxy program,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by templar, Oct 24, 2017.

1. templar Win User

Programs automatically starting when I boot

Hi chaps,

I'm having a strange problem of Internet Explorer launching automatically when I boot. Not only that but I've found my Gog Galaxy program, (a game download client) automatically start up too. In the case of Galaxy I have Launch at boot unticked. I used sysinternals Autoruns and disabled the programs auto run and when I rebooted had a UAC prompt telling me the program wanted to run. I can't help feeling that the Internet Explorer and Galaxy thing are connected to something causing them to launch. I have uninstalled Galaxy to check if that was the culprit in getting Internet Explorer to launch, but IE would still launch at boot. This is becoming annoying.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I've also noticed that my shutdown seems different. It used to have the blue screen with the circle and the screen would go black just as the power shut down but now the screen goes black a few seconds before my PC shutsdown. I don't know if this helps anyone diagnose what may be the problem.

:)

templar, Oct 24, 2017
  2. langware Win User

how do i free up more ram ?

Close as many applications as you can ... that will free up RAM.

If you are comfortable looking deeper, then have a look at the programs that are automatically started when you boot your computer ... some of them might not need to start when you boot ... they can be started when/if you need them.

To find out what programs are being automatically started when you boot, search on the name/version of your operating system and the words:

start up programs

langware, Oct 24, 2017
  3. Search and Data issue

Hi,

Let's try booting the computer in a clean boot state and check if the issue persists.

When you start Microsoft Windows, there are several programs that start automatically and run in the background that may slow down your computer or may interfere with the program. These programs may include antivirus and system utility programs.

When you perform a clean startup procedure, you prevent these programs from starting automatically.

Here's the link on how to perform a clean boot in Windows:

http://msft.it/6185BaKbh.

Let us know how it goes.

Arnold Fra, Oct 24, 2017
  4. Win7ine Win User

Disable Fast Start and Hibernation, that will solve this.

Win7ine, Oct 24, 2017
  5. templar Win User
    Hi Win7ine, Sorry, I was just editing my post while you were answering. I will do what you suggested and see what happens.

templar, Oct 24, 2017
  6. Win7ine Win User
    Should read like so:

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Windows\system32> powercfg /a

The following sleep states are available on this system:
    Standby (S3)

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
    Standby (S1)
    The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Hibernate
    Hibernation has not been enabled.

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

Hybrid Sleep
    Hibernation is not available.

Fast Startup
    Hibernation is not available.

PS C:\Windows\system32>

Win7ine, Oct 24, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 24, 2017
  8. templar Win User

Greetings Dalchina,

I'm going to have to read the link you've just provided. I have indeed upgraded to 1709 (16299.19). I have disabled fast start and windows shuts down like it used to, which is good. However, I still have the auto start problems.

It's strange, Galaxy will only restart if it is in the system tray at shutdown. If I right click the icon and exit it before shutdown it doesn't seem to start up at next boot, Internet Explorer unfortunately does launch though.

I will read the link you've kindly provided Dalchina.

templar, Oct 24, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Sounds like that new feature- unannounced- meant to confuse us all/increase stress/provide a discussion topic/keep the IT dept in a job...*chuckle

dalchina, Oct 24, 2017
  10. I guess, it will be discontinued in the next upgrade or at least they will add the ability to disable it, since it is already causing the uproar. I have spent hours trying to disable soemthing, just to find out about this nonsense.

TairikuOkami, Oct 24, 2017
  11. templar Win User
    The thread you provided does sound like it explains it. The process in Internet Explorer stays open a little bit after closing the window, so maybe when I shutdown straight after closing IE then it still registers as open and then bloody opens IE on my next boot.

So I what I've gleaned from that thread is not to shut down using Start Menu but Alt-F4?

templar, Oct 24, 2017
  12. MS tech said, that there is currently no way to disable it, currently, they are surely expecting complaints.
    As a workaround, you could create script (bat) to close all known programs and then shutdown, like:

Code: taskkill /f /im iexplorer.exe taskkill /f /im gog.exe shutdown /s /t 00[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Oct 24, 2017
  13. templar Win User

[/quote] Okay, cheers TairikuOkami.

templar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Programs automatically starting when I boot - Similar Threads - Programs automatically starting

2. When i start a program or a game in windows 10 it loads normally then it automatically...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When i start a program or a game in windows 10 it loads normally then it automatically...: When i run a game the load screen appears normally but then it close automatically and that happens in other programs but not all some games and programs works normally and that's why i'm so confused. If anyone have an answer please let me know....
  3. When i start a program or a game in windows 10 it loads normally then it automatically...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When i start a program or a game in windows 10 it loads normally then it automatically...: When i run a game the load screen appears normally but then it close automatically and that happens in other programs but not all some games and programs works normally and that's why i'm so confused. If anyone have an answer please let me know....
  4. When i start a program or a game in windows 10 it loads normally then it automatically...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Program does not start automatically at boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program does not start automatically at boot: windows 10 pro, version 10.0.19041, latest updatesI have a program that should start automatically at boot, but it does not start. I have to start it manually after each boot. The program is listed in the Startup tab of Task Manager. How do I figure out why it isn't started...
  6. How to run a program automatically when another program starts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to run a program automatically when another program starts?: Hi I have a .exe which I want to be run automatically when I manually run another program I play League of Legends and I want to prevent myself from typing (helps me improve my mood), so I have an Autohotkey script which basically disables my Enter key when I'm in-game. I...
  7. Make program start automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
    Make program start automatically: Greetings, Please let me know if there is a more appropriate forum. I would like to have a command script .cmd run automatically, making sure: 1. The program doesn't start until the user logs in 2. The program doesn't start for other users I thought I could use the...
  8. Program starts automatically.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Program starts automatically.: why last application ( Excel or word ) which was running starts automatically when i start my computer again after shut down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-starts-automatically/6dab70e0-79f9-4bd9-8588-2d59d327a596
  9. Automatic Repair Starts When Booting Up but it Doesn't Work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatic Repair Starts When Booting Up but it Doesn't Work: When I boot up my computer and Windows 10 it automatically goes to automatic repair. When it is done I am left with a black screen and the mouse cursor. It started yesterday when my computer just froze. I have tried to boot into safe mode and it will not let me. I've also...
  10. Automatic Repair Started on Boot?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic Repair Started on Boot?: I updated to Windows 10 about 2 weeks ago. Today on starting the PC, the initial BIOS splash screen displayed a while longer than usual then Windows decided to enter an Automatic Repair. I had this happen about a year ago in Windows 8 so repeated what I did then - I just...