Windows 10: Programs crashing on program launch on Windows 10 1803

Discus and support Programs crashing on program launch on Windows 10 1803 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Dear community, I'm usually not a forum writer but this issue really got me desperate. I can normally figure out such stuff myself, but for this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Gredon, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Gredon Win User

Programs crashing on program launch on Windows 10 1803

Dear community,

I'm usually not a forum writer but this issue really got me desperate. I can normally figure out such stuff myself, but for this specific issue, there is no adequate resource on the whole internet (or in this forum) that I could find, so here is my own post, in the hope that it might also help others.

Since the 1803 update, some programs don't launch. It affects many completely unrelated applications. The applications launch in the background, but crash soon after that without any notice, leaving the following two entries in the event log:

First entry (error):

Faulting application name: CCC.exe, version: 3.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f8350e0
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.165, time stamp: 0xf4df6dc2
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000f4d1b
    Faulting process id: 0x271c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d432e562ec553f
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 994fe13e-979a-41fd-9465-99cc5e953d40
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Second entry (Information):

Fault bucket 1888582485225420927, type 4
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: CCC.exe
    P2: 3.5.0.0
    P3: 4f8350e0
    P4: StackHash_53b8
    P5: 10.0.17134.165
    P6: f4df6dc2
    P7: c0000374
    P8: PCH_C1_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009AA04
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9BE4.tmp.dmp
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9FEC.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9FFD.tmp.xml
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA02D.tmp.csv
    \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA04D.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_CCC.exe_2a399792d8dcab3c2394b22aa59c698c6e111c77_a40b4083_24afa50c

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Status: 268435456
    Hashed bucket: 98cf14cd2d9089879a3597c3a0e2b87f
    Cab Guid: 0

Now, before you suggest me to update my AMD/ATI drivers, no, this is not the problem. This app is just one of many showing this behavior.

I did fix this problem on the applications by setting them on compatibility mode for Windows 8. Surprisingly, they do work now.

But, to my despair, one application which worked even on this very build now just fails[1]...with the exact same error (ntdll), exact same exception code (but with fault offset 0x000d8879, which was also displayed by one of the applications with works under compatibility mode).

What I could make out is that I feel like it has something to do with .NET WPF applications. Why do I know? I once did a simple "sample" app thingy in WPF and couldn't launch it, same issue (although with compatibility mode that one worked).

WHAT I HAVE ALREADY TRIED:

• sfc /scannow - found nothing to fix
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth - found nothing to fix
    • .NET repair tool from the command line (it only ever runs for a few seconds, applying "recommended" changes, then finishing "successfully")
    • Several reboots (reboots, not shutdowns)

What could the issue be? Corrupt .NET? Corrupt Windows? Corrupt applications? (Reinstall of one application did not help, also this affects standalone EXEs as well).

I would like to revert to the old build again, but unfortunately, I went on vacation and until I noticed, one month was over and the Windows.old folder deleted.

I hope you can help. If you need any more information, I will give it to you as soon as I notice your message and I'm back at my PC.

Thanks in advance...

P.S. I don't know if this is the right category. If this is wrong, feel free to move it where it belongs

UPDATE:

[1] Right after I finished typing these words, I launched the program in compatibility mode once more and it worked, after which I removed the compatibility mode, only to break the program again.

:)

Gredon, Aug 17, 2018

2. Microsoft signals end of Paint program

Microsoft has confirmed that it will continue to offer its graphics program Paint.

In a recent update, it had listed Paint as a feature that would be either removed or no longer developed.

Paint, renowned for its simplicity, has been part of the Windows operating system since its launch in 1985.

Microsoft suggested it would not remain on Windows 10 by default but did say it would be available for free on the Windows Store.

BBC news Report here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40714395

dorsetknob, Sep 20, 2018
  3. Gredon Win User

Dear community,

I'm usually not a forum writer but this issue really got me desperate. I can normally figure out such stuff myself, but for this specific issue,
    there is no adequate resource on the whole internet (or in this forum) that I could find, so here is my own post, in the hope that it might also help others.

Since the 1803 update, some programs don't launch. It affects many completely unrelated applications. The applications launch in the background, but crash soon after that without any notice, leaving the following two entries in the event log:

First entry (error):

Faulting application name: CCC.exe, version: 3.5.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f8350e0

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.165, time stamp: 0xf4df6dc2

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x00000000000f4d1b

Faulting process id: 0x271c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d432e562ec553f

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Second entry (Information):

Fault bucket 1888582485225420927, type 4

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: CCC.exe

P2: 3.5.0.0

P3: 4f8350e0

P4: StackHash_53b8

P5: 10.0.17134.165

P6: f4df6dc2

P7: c0000374

P8: PCH_C1_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009AA04

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9BE4.tmp.dmp

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9FEC.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER9FFD.tmp.xml

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA02D.tmp.csv

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERA04D.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_CCC.exe_2a399792d8dcab3c2394b22aa59c698c6e111c77_a40b4083_24afa50c

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Status: 268435456

Hashed bucket: 98cf14cd2d9089879a3597c3a0e2b87f

Cab Guid: 0

Now, before you suggest me to update my AMD/ATI drivers, no, this is not the problem. This app is just one of many showing this behavior.

I did fix this problem on the applications by setting them on compatibility mode for Windows 8. Surprisingly, they do work now.

But, to my despair, one application which worked even on this very build now just fails[1]...with the exact same error (ntdll), exact same exception code (but with fault offset 0x000d8879, which was also displayed by one of the applications with
    works under compatibility mode).

What I could make out is that I feel like it has something to do with .NET WPF applications. Why do I know? I once did a simple "sample" app thingy in WPF and couldn't launch it, same issue (although with compatibility mode that one worked).

WHAT I HAVE ALREADY TRIED:

• sfc /scannow - found nothing to fix
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth - found nothing to fix
    • .NET repair tool from the command line (it only ever runs for a few seconds, applying "recommended" changes, then finishing "successfully")
    • Several reboots (reboots, not shutdowns)
    • chkdsk (forgot that one before) - no action needed
    What could the issue be? Corrupt .NET? Corrupt Windows? Corrupt applications? (Reinstall of one application did not help, also this affects standalone EXEs as well).

I would like to revert to the old build again, but unfortunately, I went on vacation and until I noticed, one month was over and the Windows.old folder deleted.

I hope you can help. If you need any more information, I will give it to you as soon as I notice your message and I'm back at my PC.

Thanks in advance...

P.S. I don't know if this is the right category. If this is wrong, feel free to move it where it belongs

UPDATE:

[1] Right after I finished typing these words, I launched the program in compatibility mode once more and it worked, after which I removed the compatibility mode, only to break the program again.

More updates:

Apparently it has to do something with RAM load. I haven't noticed it being nearly full, and after closing some programs the abovementioned program worked even without compatibility mode.

I will try the RAM test and see how it goes.

Gredon, Sep 20, 2018
  4. Programs crashing on program launch on Windows 10 1803

Windows 10-Most Programs Crashing on Launch

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you to fix the issue.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if that helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below methods.

Method 1.

I recommend you to uninstall and reinstall the app which are crashing and check.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Control Panel.

• Click on Programs and features, locate for the programs and
      uninstall
      it.
    If the issue still persist, try the below method.

Method 2.

I suggest you to run System maintenance troubleshooter
    and check if this helps.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting on the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on view all and click on
      System maintenance.

• Click on Advanced on the System maintenance dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    Hope this helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Sep 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Programs crashing on program launch on Windows 10 1803 - Similar Threads - Programs crashing program

2. Program not launching

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program not launching: I am being told by a .exe program launcher that I am missing the following files. MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll. How can I fix this please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-not-launching/726efdeb-e237-4874-ae48-e31ea78f4128
  3. Program not launching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program not launching: I am being told by a .exe program launcher that I am missing the following files. MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll. How can I fix this please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-not-launching/726efdeb-e237-4874-ae48-e31ea78f4128
  4. Program not launching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Program will not launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program will not launch: A program I have used for years with Windows 10 will not launch with Windows 11. It appears to start launching circle on screen but does not fully launch. The program developer says it is compatible with Windows 11 and none of their suggestions worked. I am using an Asus...
  6. windows programs crashing after launching.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows programs crashing after launching.: Hi, since turning on my pc today 13/08/2021, nearly every single windows program is crashing, examples Edge, Recovery, windows explorer, windows picture viewer, Xbox app, Sticky notes and back up settings, i have only noticed today and was using my computer the previous day...
  7. Program launch

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Program launch: Hello,I recently installed new ram on my laptop 8 to 16 Gb but now it seems that several programs do not run properly or at all in such a way that it seems the graphics driver is the issue. For example, Minecraft will not launch at all and will return to the launcher when you...
  8. All programs crashing at launch on Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All programs crashing at launch on Windows 10: Hello everyone,I was using my pc photoshop, and I then closed photoshop.By this moment, only Chrome, Discord, command prompt and task manager as well as Windows PowerShell managed to open.All other programs Active Sky, Prepar3D, Valorant, Epic Games Launcher, Event Viewer,...
  9. Windows 10 programs crashing when launched

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 programs crashing when launched: I recently within the last few days have noticed that more and more of my windows programs wont open, first it was just one or two, but now most of them wont open for long. I am trying to put a windows iso file onto a usb and boot from there and use the product code i...
  10. Programs not launching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs not launching: Hi all, Today I've been setting up my new rig and I've been hitting an issue, some programs will not launch. The three main programs I've been having issues with are: -Paint, won't start no matter what I do -Geforce Experience, starts the launcher but wont open the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. appcrash windows 10 1803