Windows 10: Programs Disappeared

Discus and support Programs Disappeared in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey all, I ran into the strangest thing last night. Windows suddenly stopped being able to see many of my installed programs on one of my platter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Throckmorton, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Programs Disappeared

Hey all,

I ran into the strangest thing last night. Windows suddenly stopped being able to see many of my installed programs on one of my platter drives. I've set up my computer so that the OS is on an SSD the the majority of my programs are on a 1 TB platter designated as the F: drive. Here's what I know

~The platter HD still sees that there are 250 or so GB of data on it
    ~The file directories on that HD however only visibly contain about 50 GB of data
    ~all the other program and game directories that used to be visible now either deleted or invisible
    ~Steam no longer sees the games installed on that drive
    ~Shortcuts on my desktop to programs and games installed on that drive lost their icons and were replaced by the blank window icon and the error message you get when the icon doesn't lead anywhere
    ~No data on my SSD or my 3rd platter (used for primarily for video editing) was affected by this
    ~I've scanned the HD for errors and there are none and I've scanned the computer for viruses and it's clean.

Any help on restoring these directories would be much appreciated. I don't know much about to futz around in Windows 10 but my gut says it's a registry thing.

Here's my specs:
    Running windows 10 Version 1511
    i5 6600k
    16 gb ddr 4 ram
    Asus Z170 MOBO
    GTX 960 Graphics Card
    2x 1 TB platter
    1x 250 Gb Samsung SSD

Thanks in advance for any help!

:)

Throckmorton, Feb 19, 2016

2. Microsoft Edge Disappeared

Microsoft edge disappeared and taskbar icons and programs disappeared also

BrookeMyers, Feb 19, 2016
  3. SamMLewis Win User
    Pinned Programs Disappear

Our users pin programs to their taskbar frequently. Typically there is no issue with this. However, occasionally, after logging on to another PC, seemingly random pinned programs no longer work, and instead prompt:

Programs Disappeared [​IMG]

Removing it does work. Re-pinning it works, too, but the issue re-appears after logging on to another PC.

We're running Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1507 LTSB. We have roaming profiles set up. The domain controller (and host of the profiles, DNS, DHCP) is Windows Server 2016 Standard.

SamMLewis, Feb 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Programs Disappeared

Hi,
    Prior to undertaking any recovery I strongly suggest you create a sector image of your disk so that you have a second chance should your recovery precedure fail.

It is essential not to write anything to your HDD to maximise your chance of recovery.

1. If somehow your files were deleted, you can of course check the recycle bin.
    2. If they are potentially recoverable but not deleted to the recycle bin, you can try e.g. Recuva (download, install).

3. Otherwise, suggests you may need to try rebuilding the MFT. However, noted that you say no errors were reported on the disk - by chkdsk?
    So that raises a question in my mind.
    E.g.
    How to Repair a Corrupt Master File Table | eHow
    Master File Table recovery - TechRepublic

dalchina, Feb 19, 2016
Thema:

Programs Disappeared

1. Programs Disappeared - Similar Threads - Programs Disappeared

2. Installed programs disappear after restart on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Installed programs disappear after restart on Windows 11/10: Whenever we install a program on a Windows 11/10 PC, they do not get uninstalled automatically or disappear. We need to uninstall the programs manually. Some users are complaining that installed programs disappear after restarting the PC. In this guide, we show how to fix...
  3. Icons for open programs disappearing in taksbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons for open programs disappearing in taksbar: I am noticing weird behaviour with the icons of open programmes. Sometimes icons disappear. In some cases, it will come back, but in most cases it will stay hidden untill i start the programm again or untill i reboot. You can still see that the programm is open, by the bar on...
  4. Icons for open programs disappearing in taksbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons for open programs disappearing in taksbar: I am noticing weird behaviour with the icons of open programmes. Sometimes icons disappear. In some cases, it will come back, but in most cases it will stay hidden untill i start the programm again or untill i reboot. You can still see that the programm is open, by the bar on...
  5. Can the Program Files folder disappear and how do i find it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can the Program Files folder disappear and how do i find it?: I've been looking for the folder Program Files so that I can install some plugins for a software I'm using but I can't find the folder and I know I haven't deleted it I'm not sure I can either. I've used the searchbar, looked through all my folders where i should be, but no...
  6. Can the Program Files folder disappear and how do i find it?

Can the Program Files folder disappear and how do i find it?: I've been looking for the folder Program Files so that I can install some plugins for a software I'm using but I can't find the folder and I know I haven't deleted it I'm not sure I can either. I've used the searchbar, looked through all my folders where i should be, but no...
  7. Windows 11, Pin to Start Menu disappeared from right-click on the program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, Pin to Start Menu disappeared from right-click on the program: After working fine, the option to “pin to start menu” has disappeared from the selections when I righ-click on a program. New 3 day old Dell OptiPlex....
  8. Windows 11, Pin to Start Menu disappeared from right-click on the program

Windows 11, Pin to Start Menu disappeared from right-click on the program: After working fine, the option to “pin to start menu” has disappeared from the selections when I righ-click on a program. New 3 day old Dell OptiPlex....
  9. Notifications from a certain program disappear almost immediately, can't be reviewed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notifications from a certain program disappear almost immediately, can't be reviewed: I have a program that generates semi-regular, fairly important notifications. On my previous Windows 10 machine, these notifications would appear both as a banner that would display for a handful of seconds, and as an entry in the notification center, where I could clear them...
  10. Notifications from a certain program disappear almost immediately, can't be reviewed

Notifications from a certain program disappear almost immediately, can't be reviewed: I have a program that generates semi-regular, fairly important notifications. On my previous Windows 10 machine, these notifications would appear both as a banner that would display for a handful of seconds, and as an entry in the notification center, where I could clear them...