Windows 10: Programs dramatically slow down or lock up computer after Win10 instal

Discus and support Programs dramatically slow down or lock up computer after Win10 instal in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; In November I put have a fresh Windows 10 install (old one was freaking out on me and Fall Creators Update fully hosed it) and got new Coffee Lake... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bradlymathews, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Programs dramatically slow down or lock up computer after Win10 instal

In November I put have a fresh Windows 10 install (old one was freaking out on me and Fall Creators Update fully hosed it) and got new Coffee Lake CPU/Mem/MB while I was at it. I was really expecting a performance boost over my 2nd gen i5. Instead I got a laggy system.

It is generally less responsive than before, but some programs (today's list is: Visual Studio 2017, or programs compiled with VS2017, The VS Updater, the Intel Driver and Support Assistant,) will bring my computer to a crawl, as in 3 second delay to move mouse, windows waiting 10 seconds to refresh, and some times hit the reset button frozen.

VS2013 does cause some increased lag (I can watch the controls paint on my form), but at least the message pump still works.

I opened Process Explorer and added the CPU history tab to try and catch the culprit in the act. But either ProcExp does not log during laggy periods or it shows a noticeable spike in CPU, but none of the active processes are showing any corresponding spike in activity (and yes, I have show process from all users turned on).
    CPU and GPU temps are well below problematic levels.

Full computer specs: Win10, i5-8600K, MSI Z370-A Pro, Radeon R9 200, 2x Viper 8GB DDR4 2800Mhz, Samsung SSD 840 1TB, Samsung SSD 850 500GB (boot), WD5000AAKX 2TB.

Any advice on what might be going on or what further debug steps I can take?

:)

bradlymathews, Jan 8, 2018
  2. ChipWR Win User

PC Slow Performance After Installing Win10 Threshold 2

After installing Win10 Threshold 2 upgrade, everything has dramatically slowed down: boot time is slower, login after password/pin takes forever, screen refresh crawls and apps load and perform much slower ... please help!

ChipWR, Jan 8, 2018
  3. Dramatic slow down of computer

What kind of slowdown are you referring to?

Please provide details to better help you.

Is it the internet, when you boot up, use specific software?

tamara_sadel, Jan 8, 2018
  4. Programs dramatically slow down or lock up computer after Win10 instal

Have you gone through and installed the drivers from MSI.

Looks like a few BIOS's are also available, obviously you know the risk in updating BIOS's

Did you also follow recommendations on placement of your two memory sticks, slots a2 and B2?

Caledon Ken, Jan 9, 2018
  5. Ken,

Yes to MSI drivers,
    I have not updated BIOS yet.
    Yes, I placed them according to the manual and just double checked - A2, B2.

- Brad

bradlymathews, Jan 9, 2018
  6. I would compare BIOS installed to latest version. See how many versions are between them.

Are the SSD's new? I ask as I think the Samsung Magician can check them for speed.

I might shut off Integrated graphics to see if they are somehow conflicting.

Edit: Are any devices being flagged in device manager? Have you confirmed with power off that all cables are seated correctly?

Caledon Ken, Jan 9, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
  8. Programs dramatically slow down or lock up computer after Win10 instal

The problem does go away temporarily after a clean boot. I am trying to determine a trigger (like two programs that do not play well together) but have not found a pattern yet. I rebooted earlier to get the current BIOS version and it is mostly behaving right now just its normal background sluggishness.

The BIOS is two versions behind and both include memory compatibility updates, so I think I will do that tomorrow. I will also see about disabling the integrated graphics - I though that was automatic if you had a video card but I could easily be wrong about that.

The SSDs are not that new but Samsung Magician gives them a clean bill of health.

bradlymathews, Jan 9, 2018
  9. Be interested after BIOS.

Caledon Ken, Jan 9, 2018
  10. Layback Bear, Jan 9, 2018
  11. Ken,

Been stable since that reboot, I applied the BIOS update, still no drama. Gotta love them intermittent issues! I'll report back any developments.

Jack, got it all filled out. Need third slot for my home computer!

- Brad

bradlymathews, Jan 10, 2018
  12. Fingers crossed my end.

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Programs dramatically slow down or lock up computer after Win10 instal

1. Programs dramatically slow down or lock up computer after Win10 instal - Similar Threads - Programs dramatically slow

2. Computer slows down dramatically when plugged in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer slows down dramatically when plugged in: Computer: Microsoft Surface Book 2CPU: Intel Pentium 4415yRAM: 8GB 1600ghzWhen I plug in my computer, everything is fine up until about 15 minutes later when the computer slows down to a screeching halt. I don't think this is thermal throttling, as when I'm doing my normal...
  3. Computer slows down dramatically when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer slows down dramatically when plugged in: Computer: Microsoft Surface Book 2CPU: Intel Pentium 4415yRAM: 8GB 1600ghzWhen I plug in my computer, everything is fine up until about 15 minutes later when the computer slows down to a screeching halt. I don't think this is thermal throttling, as when I'm doing my normal...
  4. Computer slows down dramatically when plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. file transfer dramatically slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file transfer dramatically slow: I have an issue with slow file transfer windows 10. I am almost sure it has nothing to do with the network settings. I have one application and: 1. If launched from local drive works perfect 2. If launched from mapped drive same folder on the same hdd works very slow 3. If...
  6. Dramatically slow performance

Dramatically slow performance: My Windows 10 laptop has been dramatically slow for the last 8-10 days. It has 4GB DDR4 RAM & HDD 1TB harddrive. Nowadays most of the time the RAM and Harddrive look 100% full. [ATTACH] What should I do?...
  7. The last Microsoft Update DRAMATICALLY slowed my computer !!!!

The last Microsoft Update DRAMATICALLY slowed my computer !!!!: Has this happened to anyone else? sorry if I'm the millionth person to post this -- I’m a long time Mac user since 1985 forced to use Windows now <sigh>. I’ve had this computer for 3 weeks now but only connected it to the Internet on Thursday, 27 Aug 2020. It was fine UNTIL...
  8. Network slows down dramatically shortly after connecting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network slows down dramatically shortly after connecting: I've decided to reimage my Dell XPS 9360 and started to experience serious networking problems right after the fresh Windows install. The previous OS installation became unstable but I had no network speed problems at all. The device is equipped with Realtek USB GBE...
  9. certain programs slowing down computer

certain programs slowing down computer: how do i put certain programs on my windows 10 computer to sleep? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/certain-programs-slowing-down-computer/46aad902-1d53-429f-8669-83475179aa5f
  10. Computer slows down after use.

Computer slows down after use.: Hello. I have a problem. After a week or two, there was a Windows 10 update and I update it. After some use my computer is acting weird. I use it for 1-2h and it starts lagging and I cant do nothing unless I restart my computer. The older Windows 10 wasnt lagging at all. I...