Windows 10: Programs not executing unless ran as admin; corrupt user profile

Discus and support Programs not executing unless ran as admin; corrupt user profile in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, For the last 2 - 3 weeks, i have only been able to use my programs and some .exe files as administrator. Otherwise, the programs/exe won't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by HootenannyMagic, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Programs not executing unless ran as admin; corrupt user profile

Hi all,

For the last 2 - 3 weeks, i have only been able to use my programs and some .exe files as administrator. Otherwise, the programs/exe won't even blink when i double-click on them. (uninstall and reinstall didnt solve the problem). Some of those are Windows Media Player, Opera, Spotify, Malwarebytes (iknow, crazy), uTorrent and most of the.exe's that doesn't respond upon double clicking.

Thankfully Office programs and my printer software are still working cause that's all i need.

More than a week ago i've just removed a virus/rootkit on my computer, and it helped my PC breathe a little, until this problem i mentioned arrived.

I've created a new user account and everything seemed to work fine there cause my programs launch normally so i copied my "corrupted" user folder on it, as per this guide , but when i restarted my PC and logged in on that new account, the problem hasn't gone away.

I have absolutely no idea why this happens, but of course i blame it on the corrupted user account.

I've ran sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and even microsoft's safety scanner and nothing is showing up.

Did i copy something wrong? Or do i still need to further check for viruses?

I have a lot to do with my files as of now and i really need you guys' help. Thanks.

:)

HootenannyMagic, Sep 10, 2017
  2. indylmc Win User

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709

I think the final fix for me was to create a new admin account, logon with new account and then delete my old account. Ultimately it appears the problem was a corrupt user profile. Once I recreated my new profile the update finally ran to completion.

indylmc, Sep 10, 2017
  3. Windows Mail: Text showing when cursor is on link to webpage.

Hi,

I ran the troubleshooter again, it recognized the fault " Windows store cache may be damaged" but never repaired it.

Do you have a program that can repair these faults found by the troubleshooter program?

I found out how to create a new user profile but don't know how to transfer the data from the old account to the new one.

Ken Maughan, Sep 10, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Programs not executing unless ran as admin; corrupt user profile

Were you selective with which folders you copied from the corrupted user folder to your new user account folder?

You should only copy over the data files you need otherwise you will end up copying the corrupt file and you are back where you started!

philc43, Sep 10, 2017
  5. Darn it. I thought im supposed to copy all of it except the ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log and ntuser.ini. I guess the culprit here was the AppData folder. Thank you so much for the tip sir.

HootenannyMagic, Sep 11, 2017
  6. Hello again to all

I just created a new user account and picked just the folders i need (i didnt include AppData nor the three ntuser files) but i still have the SAME issue. The setup of the new account was fine but when i installed Spotify on it i found it that it triggered the problem. I still don't know if it had a connection to the issue.
    Did i do something wrong? I need your help...

HootenannyMagic, Sep 12, 2017
  7. philc43 Win User
    Can you try uninstalling Spotify and see if the issue goes away?

philc43, Sep 12, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Perhaps.

If you are making a new account it is better to move stuff from C:\Users\OldAccount to C:\Users\Public. Then sign onto new account and move from C:\Users\Public to C:\Users\NewAccount.

Shuffling it through Public gets rid of any permission issues.

Don't even think about moving %appdata% as there a thousands of .ini and .xml files containing your old profile name.

9. Huge thanks for the replies...

As of now the issue has gone away after a restart... Spotify's probably stopped causing the problem but i think there's more than that though...

Also, thanks for the tip about %appdata% and the Public folder, good sir/maam. I think i shouldnt really copy the files directly to the new account... but i guess the problem is solved for now.

Thanks again for y'all's help. *Smile

HootenannyMagic, Sep 13, 2017
  10. So yeah im back again,

After a few hours of clickin around stuff i found that it wasn't Spotify's fault, it was actually a font rasterizer i got from the netz (MacType) and it was kind of messing with the fonts on 32-bit programs. I don't exactly know how MacType works cause im not a programmer/coder (yet.) but i just tried it (about 2 weeks ago) cause it looked amazing.

So i disabled it and everything works fine.

(But also im stuck with ClearType for now until i figure out a way to make MacType work with my Win10.)

Thanks for y'all's help.

HootenannyMagic, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Programs not executing unless ran as admin; corrupt user profile - Similar Threads - Programs executing unless

2. Corrupt User Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt User Profile: Recently, I've been trying to purchase an application on the Microsoft Store, however the payment screen would always go blank in a matter of seconds. After some online research, I was able to follow a thread that proposed the solution of trying to purchase the application...
  3. Corrupt User Profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupt User Profile: Recently, I've been trying to purchase an application on the Microsoft Store, however the payment screen would always go blank in a matter of seconds. After some online research, I was able to follow a thread that proposed the solution of trying to purchase the application...
  4. Corrupted user profile

Corrupted user profile: Hello,A couple days ago I tried to rename my personal folder name viaProperties > Advanced system settings > Settings Under user profiles > I don't remember the rest.After this sometimes the taskbar does not peek when I move my cursor to the screen bottom I have turned on...
  5. Corrupted user profile

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupted user profile: Hello,A couple days ago I tried to rename my personal folder name viaProperties > Advanced system settings > Settings Under user profiles > I don't remember the rest.After this sometimes the taskbar does not peek when I move my cursor to the screen bottom I have turned on...
  6. Corrupt User Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt User Profile: My main only user profile cannot launch cmd.exe, Windows Defender, and a 1-2 other utilities. This happened after I install a Linux distro using WSL. Tried troubleshooting it using online solutions, which didn't help. I upgraded to Windows 11 and that didn't help. I took my...
  7. Corrupted User Profile

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Corrupted User Profile: Is there a way to fix a corrupted user profile WITHOUT just making a new one and migrate everything over to it?This only issue we have is not being able to activate Office 365 apps. We have already gone through all troubleshooting steps with Microsoft to fix the activation...
  8. Corrupted User Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupted User Profile: Is there a way to fix a corrupted user profile WITHOUT just making a new one and migrate everything over to it?This only issue we have is not being able to activate Office 365 apps. We have already gone through all troubleshooting steps with Microsoft to fix the activation...
  9. Corrupted User Profile

10. Corrupted User Profile

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Corrupted User Profile: I logged on this morning to see my user profile had been corrupted, with the file showing 0 bytes in properties and unable to be accessed due to the corrupted file submitted by /u/XCTVNICKX [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .exe corrupted unless run as administrator