Windows 10: Programs not launching

Discus and support Programs not launching in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, Today I've been setting up my new rig and I've been hitting an issue, some programs will not launch. The three main programs I've been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by harvz, Mar 2, 2016.

1. harvz Win User

Programs not launching

Hi all,

Today I've been setting up my new rig and I've been hitting an issue, some programs will not launch.
    The three main programs I've been having issues with are:
    -Paint, won't start no matter what I do
    -Geforce Experience, starts the launcher but wont open the main program
    -League of Legends, Launcher works but trying to start the game usually wont work.

I've tried various compatibility modes and administrator modes with these and yet nothing, not even an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

harvz, Mar 2, 2016
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Mar 2, 2016
  3. Apps and programs not launching

Press Windows key + X

Click Windows PowerShell (Admin)

At the command prompt, type the following then hit Enter:

Get-AppXPackage *WindowsStore* -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Option 1: Run Windows App troubleshooter

Windows Key+X

Click Settings

Click Update & security

Click Troubleshoot

Scroll down to the bottom

Click Windows Store Apps

Click Run the Troubleshooter

Option 2: Reset Windows Store

1. Press Windows key + X, and click on Command Prompt (Admin). If prompted for an administrative password, kindly provide the password

2. Type WSreset.exe and click Enter.

3. Restart Windows store.

4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 few times, launch Store App

Option 3: Create a New User Account and login with this new User Account

1. Press Windows key + I to open up Settings.

2. Head to Accounts and choose Family & Other Users.

3. Select Add someone else to this PC under Other Users.

4. Select I don't have this person's sign-in information.

5. Select Add a user without a Microsoft account.

6. Create the user and select Next.

7. Make the new account an administrator account.

8. Under Other users, select the new user account you created, and then select Change account type.

9. Select Administrator, and then select OK

Option 4: Check your Antivirus

Update your AV to the latest

Temporarily uninstall / disable AV

Option 5: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter

1. Type Control in Windows Start Search

2. Click Control Panel

3. Change View by from Category to Large Icons/Small Icons.

4. Click on Troubleshooting and then select View all.

5. Select Windows Update and follow the on-screen instructions.

Option 6: Reregister Store App

Type Powershell in Windows Start Search box

Right click on Powershell and Run As Administrator

Copy following and paste into Powershell and hit Enter

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + ‘\AppxManifest.xml’ ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"

Option 7: Reset Software Distribution Folder

Disconnect from internet - Both wifi and wired

Restart your computer

Type Cmd in Windows Start Search Bx\ox

Right click on Cmd > Run As Administrator

Copy and paste following one by one and Enter

taskkill /F /FI "SERVICES eq wuauserv" (do this multiple times)

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

rmdir C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

rmdir C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

When complete, Enter, then reboot the computer > Try downloading again.

Option 8: Run SFC and DISM

Open Start, type: CMD

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after each)

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Also run the System File Checker utility:

Open Start, type: CMD

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

At the Command Prompt, type: sfc/scannow

Andre Da Costa, Mar 2, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Programs not launching

What kind of install did you use for setting up the new rig?

bro67, Mar 2, 2016
  5. harvz Win User
    The rig I picked up prebuilt from PC Case Gear who've basically put it together, installed windows 10 x64 and installed a few of the base software (CorsairLINK, Nahimic). I've then upgraded it from Win 10 home to pro.

harvz, Mar 2, 2016
  6. b1rd Win User
    Hi harvz,

Did you by chance try launching those program via the .exe files within the respective Programs Folder, or trying launching it through a command line? You can try in through your Command Prompt or though the Run command. I'm just wondering if this might be a shortcut issue.

You can re-test paint using the following:

With the Command Prompt, paste: %windir%\system32\mspaint.exe
    With Run, paste: mspaint.exe

b1rd, Mar 2, 2016
  7. harvz Win User
    Thanks for your reply. I haven't really got that option with most of them as they won't start without their launcher starting them.
    One thing I've tried that works is a new user on the computer, which seems to have no issue (I've only tried it for a few hours so far), so it looks like it may have something to do with that user account.

EDIT: The solution I mentioned prior to this edit didn't ultimately solve the problem, I've reformatted the drive and will reply to the thread if issues persist.

harvz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Programs not launching

1. Programs not launching - Similar Threads - Programs launching

2. Long delay before launching programs from autorun

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long delay before launching programs from autorun: Back on Win10 LTSC after one update, I had a long startup long time was on "welcome", then I put Win11 the latest version with all updates and now I have after the desktop appears, it takes about 50 seconds to start programs from autoboot. Previously it took about 15 seconds,...
  3. Long delay before launching programs from autorun

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Long delay before launching programs from autorun: Back on Win10 LTSC after one update, I had a long startup long time was on "welcome", then I put Win11 the latest version with all updates and now I have after the desktop appears, it takes about 50 seconds to start programs from autoboot. Previously it took about 15 seconds,...
  4. Programs launching outside of visible desktop space - you've had decades to address this...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs launching outside of visible desktop space - you've had decades to address this...: When you have multiple monitors but only switch them on as and when required, programs that you had previously opened before your last reboot/shutdown, when opened again, have a tendency to open off screen on some magical ether of desktop space that doesn't exist. Switching...
  5. Programs launching outside of visible desktop space - you've had decades to address this...

Programs launching outside of visible desktop space - you've had decades to address this...: When you have multiple monitors but only switch them on as and when required, programs that you had previously opened before your last reboot/shutdown, when opened again, have a tendency to open off screen on some magical ether of desktop space that doesn't exist. Switching...
  6. PC blackscreens after I try to play/launch a game/program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC blackscreens after I try to play/launch a game/program: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000133 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000001e00, 0xfffff80456d1c340, 0x0000000000000000. A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: a7b3bf7f-8e43-4a5c-b733-1e5a91926a46. - Event viewer error Event...
  7. PC blackscreens after I try to play/launch a game/program

PC blackscreens after I try to play/launch a game/program: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000133 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000001e00, 0xfffff80456d1c340, 0x0000000000000000. A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: a7b3bf7f-8e43-4a5c-b733-1e5a91926a46. - Event viewer error Event...
  8. VScode: Running the first program on VSCode, gdb launch message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VScode: Running the first program on VSCode, gdb launch message: Hi,I am trying to run my first C++ program on VSCode. I am getting the message gdb launch. I have attached the image below:Somebody, please guide me.Zulfi....
  9. VScode: Running the first program on VSCode, gdb launch message

VScode: Running the first program on VSCode, gdb launch message: Hi,I am trying to run my first C++ program on VSCode. I am getting the message gdb launch. I have attached the image below:Somebody, please guide me.Zulfi....
  10. How to make a "rule" so that when launching a program an audio file plays?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to make a "rule" so that when launching a program an audio file plays?: Hello, I know it's a bit of a weird question, but let me clarify. When I was younger I visited a friend's house and on his PC his brother made it so that when he launched a game, a custom audio file started playing, without it being visible too! So many years later, today, I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. programs not launching