Windows 10: Programs, Tabs, and Folders will not close

Discus and support Programs, Tabs, and Folders will not close in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2-1051 that until this weekend was successfully running on Windows 10 upgrade. Suddenly this weekend it refused to add or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mkbrbkr, Dec 20, 2015.

1. mkbrbkr Win User

Programs, Tabs, and Folders will not close

I have a Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2-1051 that until this weekend was successfully running on Windows 10 upgrade.
    Suddenly this weekend it refused to add or change tabs in the Google Chrome browser. Tapping the X or + boxes did nothing. Then tapping some links within the browser failed to open.
    Then folders and applications would not respond to tapping the Windows – X icons.

To make this more complicated, my Lenovo bkc800 Bluetooth keyboard fails to connect to the tablet (but that's a separate complaint with Lenovo) making keyboard shortcuts impossible.

I am now unable to close the browser or any app unless I use the task manager to end them. In the browser tabs and in some programs the window -+ are greyed out or missing.

A few months ago I upgraded from Windows 8.5 to Win 10 and until now everything worked fine. In my effort to solve this problem I managed to update the Lenovo BIOS along with various device drivers and Win 10 updates. As far as I know they were successful and this computer powers up properly to my desktop applications. But programs, folders, tabs, etc. will not respond to touch taps. Based on similar problems found in this forum I have run System File Checker/Scannow. It ran relatively quickly in less than an hour and found no problems to correct.

This is VERY VERY frustrating. I have no idea if it is connected to Win 10 or Chrome or any other application. I have not upgraded anything. It might be a hardware issue but Win 10 or Google upgrades seem more likely to me.

Any help appreciated.

:)

mkbrbkr, Dec 20, 2015

2. Mystery Problem: Programs, Tabs, Folders will not close

Just guessing, but to me it sounds like your touch screen needs to be re-calibrated.

The 'help' keeps launching from the file explorer because that would be the only 'button' close to the edge of the screen when it is maximized. I think if you recalibrate you should be fine. One way to validate would be to see if you can access any options
    at the top of the window.

Lenovo should be able to walk you through the recalibration.

FunSideOfSteve, Dec 20, 2015
  3. MKBRBKR Win User
    Mystery Problem: Programs, Tabs, Folders will not close

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried running this tablet in Windows 10 safe mode, but the problem persists. The minimize/maximize/close buttons do not work on Windows File Explorer or Internet Explorer or other programs. Some programs like the task manager which
    open in small windows will close on tapping X. However other programs like notepad will expand but then not minimize or close.
    The strangest new problem is that Windows File Explorer opens in full screen and when I tap the minimize/maximize button the internet browser opens on Bing search that says "get help with file explorer in windows 10". Every time I tap minimize
    another tab opens on Microsoft Edge with the same Bing search terms. If I open Wordpad and do the same, another tab on Edge opens with Bing Search "how to get help in windows 10". I am also unable to move the browser window on the desktop.

Earlier I uninstalled my preferred browser Chrome which is where I first noticed this problem and set the default browser for Internet Explorer but Edge seems to pop open now.

For some reason the tablet keyboard would not come on in Safe Mode so I am limited in what commands I can type. The bluetooth keyboard will not connect but that is a separate issue. Also Safe Mode disabled WiFi so I was unable to use an internet browser.
    I have restarted in Normal Mode and the problem is still there.

• I have applied all Windows 10 updates - no problems
    • I have run the memory test - no problems
    • I have run the hardware test - no problems
    • I have run chkdsk and scandisk - no problems
    • I have run Windows defender and it has not detected any malware/virus
    What should I do now?

MKBRBKR, Dec 20, 2015
Thema:

Programs, Tabs, and Folders will not close

1. Programs, Tabs, and Folders will not close - Similar Threads - Programs Tabs Folders

2. Programs tabbing / closing by itself

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs tabbing / closing by itself: So I'm having 2 separated problems. One is programs mostly games tabbing out by itself though I can still go back to the window and then another problem is the program closing by itself. The 2nd problem is happening in every program including google chrome. After the program...
  3. Accidentally hit “Close Tab” when a program was downloading.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidentally hit “Close Tab” when a program was downloading.: Hi, I was downloading Visual Studio on Windows 10 when I was dumb and right clicked on the program and hit “Close Tab” as it was downloading. The program in the toolbar turned red. Also, before I clicked the button, the download window that shows the status of the download...
  4. Tabs will not close on shutdown

in Browsers and Email
    Tabs will not close on shutdown: I am on W10 Home Version 1809 and when I press shutdown the tabs will not close. I use MSN for homepage and outlook for Email. When I open the system the previous tabs that were used remain on the task bar. How do I eliminate this, thanks. . 125772
  5. Closing Tabs at Shutdown

in Browsers and Email
    Closing Tabs at Shutdown: I followed al instructions on closing tabs at shutdown but nothing works. Ideas appreciated Thanks 25964
  6. Close all Tabs

in Browsers and Email
    Close all Tabs: When using a search engine and having the need to return to a previous page, at present I am unable to do so. All I can do is either "Cancel" or "Close all Tabs" . This means I lose the site and have to start all over again. I am using Windows10 64byte. Can anyone tell me how...
  7. Closing programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Closing programs: Having Window 10 is cool but I need to know why I can't close Yahoo Messenger and Skype. "Quit Skype" is in a black area on Skype and "Sign Out" in Yahoo messenger is the same. I cannot close these 2 programs, they are not Apps, when I am ready to shut down the computer. Does...
  8. Programs Closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs Closing: I'm not an expert, so please go easy on me. My main problem is programs suddenly close. When using a browser (Firefox or Chrome) the program will close. Approx every 3-5 minutes. However, there are times it will stay open for significantly longer. I've tried using Firefox...
  9. Closing Tabs at Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Closing Tabs at Shutdown: Can someone tell me why when running Edge none of the tabs close when I sign out???????? When I sign back in it's like I never left the page. Thanks 46933
  10. Closing tabs on shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Closing tabs on shutdown: Besides manually ,how do I close tabs when I shutdown. Now when I shutdown and restart the system opens at the last site I was involved with. Thanks 104294