Windows 10: Programs that require administrator access

Discus and support Programs that require administrator access in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have a program (game) that I wish to allow a child to run but it requires administrator access to run the program. I don't particularly want to be... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by particle, Dec 5, 2015.

1. particle Win User

Programs that require administrator access

I have a program (game) that I wish to allow a child to run but it requires administrator access to run the program. I don't particularly want to be required to walk over and type in the password every time the child wants to run the game, but I also don't want to give the child blanket administrator access to the computer through their account or giving them the administrator password. With Windows 7 you could use shims to solve this problem (and I did under Windows 7) is there a similar method to solve this problem with Windows 10?

I'm not an expert in shims, I knew just enough to get things going in Windows 7, but it seems like the shims interface I have installed in Windows 10 was really meant for Windows 7 and doesn't seem to work properly. I could give an example if needed but it's quite possible I'm barking up the wrong tree using shims in Windows 10, maybe there is a more elegant solution.

I've been searching and I only find information about Windows 7 solutions to this problem. Nothing specific to Windows 10.

Help would be greatly appreciated, be it a general solution or just a point in the right direction.

:)

particle, Dec 5, 2015

2. Can't Run Programs or Fixes that require Administrator Access

Here is another option.

Open Task Manager.

From the File menu, click Run new task.

Type shexview.exe mentioning the full path (eg. d:\tools\shexview.exe)

Click "Create this task with administrative privileges"

Click OK

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Can't Run Programs or Fixes that require Administrator Access

Thanks. I see that option when I right-click. The bigger issue is that I'm trying to figure out a problem I'm having where when I right-click in the File Explorer window, there is very slow response. Well, actually, it sits and thinks for several minutes
    and then doesn't ever pop up the right-click menu. I was trying the 3 suggested fixes on

this thread
    (and others) but I can't get anything to work, even right-clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator" as you showed above.

Any other ideas to help? It's ridiculous that I can't create folders, copy, paste or generally manage my files and folders. Thanks!

AngelaC_918, Dec 5, 2015
  4. rlhess Win User

I am beyond this with my boys, but I solved it under WinXP by providing a specific login for that game that had administrative access but was so stripped down the boys didn't know it, plus the wallpaper said "for that game only" and that was the only icon available. I probably "broke" other things as well.

Not the best solution, but a compromise.

rlhess, Dec 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Programs that require administrator access - Similar Threads - Programs require administrator

2. administrator priviledge required

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    administrator priviledge required: In window 11 insider preview i am going face problem in opening any application through run as administrator . every application required administrator privilage and the is only no button showing , but yes button not available...
  3. Administrator Requires PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrator Requires PIN: When I log onto my personal laptop, ever since I bought it, there has been this notice that my administrator requires a PIN. I have to change it every so often, and it is annoying. This is my personal laptop, purchased by me for personal use, and there should not be any...
  4. Administrator Requires PIN

Administrator Requires PIN: When I log onto my personal laptop, ever since I bought it, there has been this notice that my administrator requires a PIN. I have to change it every so often, and it is annoying. This is my personal laptop, purchased by me for personal use, and there should not be any...
  5. Microsoft Family Safety and Programs on Child Profile requiring Administrative access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Family Safety and Programs on Child Profile requiring Administrative access: My child is utilizing their own laptop at school instead of the schools laptop due to me being paranoid that they are not locking down enough and a bit of a control and security freak and has been doing so for the last 3 school years. This has been fine, up until this year...
  6. Microsoft Family Safety and Programs on Child Profile requiring Administrative access

Microsoft Family Safety and Programs on Child Profile requiring Administrative access: My child is utilizing their own laptop at school instead of the schools laptop due to me being paranoid that they are not locking down enough and a bit of a control and security freak and has been doing so for the last 3 school years. This has been fine, up until this year...
  7. Password Requirement to Access Program

Password Requirement to Access Program: Can I setup a password requirement of a program in settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-requirement-to-access-program/6fbb5450-c212-4519-a46b-85071606c0be
  8. Requiring Administrator Login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Requiring Administrator Login: Hi Everyone, two questions: I'm looking to setup better security on my PC, as I use this for work. I have other Users on my PC as well, but am trying to limit their access when logged in without me. I would like anything that normally requires an...
  9. Can't access anything Administrator required

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't access anything Administrator required: I got a new computer, and was customizing settings. I activated the default Administrator account, and used that for stuff I needed permission for. I finished and signed out, and from my account ran the net user administrator /active:no command on an administrator command...
  10. Can't run programs requiring administrator privileges

Can't run programs requiring administrator privileges: Hello. I'm using Windows 10 on my computer and a few weeks ago I started having problems running certain programs and tasks. I noticed today that anything requiring administrator privileges, such as certain programs, installing or removing programs, or even a system restore...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows program requiring admin access