Windows 10: Programs will not start running minimised

Discus and support Programs will not start running minimised in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have Win 10 Home x64. I cannot run programs to start minimized. Specifically, I cannot get Thunderbird and Calibre to do this. At the moment I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Agrippa, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Agrippa Win User

Programs will not start running minimised

I have Win 10 Home x64.

I cannot run programs to start minimized. Specifically, I cannot get Thunderbird and Calibre to do this.

At the moment I have these 2 programs as shortcuts on the Desktop. If I open them then I can minimise them by the normal method of clicking on the - sign at the top right hand corner.

I have used the standard recommended method, namely Right click > Properties > Select Minimised in Run. This does not work. When I start running them from the link they open full screen.

:)

Agrippa, Oct 26, 2017
  2. gbswales Win User

Some programs will only start minimised

Programs will not start running minimised [​IMG]

Recently I have found when installing some third party programs they start up minimised to task bar so that all I am able to see is the minature preview window on the task bar. One program this happened with was an avira beta program so I put it down to
    that but then I have experienced the same problem with other programs including bitTorrent and today another software Disc Master Professional which I will use to illustrate the problem (the symptoms are the same with any program this happens with)

1) I install the program which all goes smoothly and without error

2) I open the software but all I see is the small icon and minature preview on the task bar - cllicking the icon does not open full screen

3) Right clicking the icon in the taskbar only shows the program name, pin to taskbar and close window - there is no option to restore or maximise and nothing I can do but to close it. (see right click image displayed above) With all other software minimsed
    like this clicking the icon or selecting program name opens the full window)

This has happened to at least 10 different software applications that I have tried so I dont think it can be anything other than a windows problem. Some (but not all) are programs run on start up but if I select open main window by right clicking the system
    tray icon I still get the same issue.

Anyone have any ideas - so far all I can do is source different software which doesnt have this issue

gbswales, Oct 26, 2017
  3. gbswales Win User
    Some programs will only start minimised

Thank you for your suggestion - it is one I had thought to do as a last resort because it is a fairly convoluted process - especially when it comes to diagnosing which program or driver is causing the issue. My first thought is to maybe disable, or even
    temporarily uninistsall, programs more likely to be causing the issue and see if I can identify it more quickly. The two main programmes I use to manage my desktop are Display Fusion and Stardock Fences and so I will start with those and then if that proves
    inconclusive I guess I will have to move to clean boot, taking screenshots as I go so that I know which services to restart/enable afterwards.

I will post again in a few days

gbswales, Oct 26, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, See proposed solution below (from the article quoted).

From the article below:
    I would agree- another method I tried failed too.

How to Fix: Minimize Thunderbird to Tray Bar (Not Task Bar) | www.infopackets.com

- Firetray is an add-on which will hide Thunderbird to the tray, not the taskbar.

Download the xpi file, then from Thunderbird, install it as an add-on from that file.

Configure its options as you wish.

Programs will not start running minimised [​IMG]

Behaviour:
    When Tbird is initially launched, it creates a new tray icon.
    When the Tbird shortcut is clicked, a Tbird Window appears instantly.

Further, the Mail options allow you to set the tray icon to display various forms of information about messages.

(I did a search on
    start thunderbird minimized
    to discover this for you).

dalchina, Oct 28, 2017
  5. Agrippa Win User
    A rather belated thanks for the reply. I've downloaded and installed FireTray and it seems to be doing the job.

For anyone else who wishes to try it here are a few details that are not given in the links.

1) I used 7-Zip to unpack the downloaded xpi file.
    2) The download page says to edit the install.rdf file. I did this using WordPad and raised the Thunderbird maxVersion from 38 to 58. When saving in WordPad make sure that Text File is selected.
    3) Pack the downloaded files (including the edited rdf one) as a zip file. Change the extension to xpi. Install the add-on in Thunderbird.
    4) I dragged the FireTray icon outside the hidden icons so that it was permanently visible (I hope - I haven't yet seen what happens when I restart the PC).

Agrippa, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Programs will not start running minimised - Similar Threads - Programs start running

2. Snip minimising

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Snip minimising: Every time I do a snip with the snipping tool, the program minimises so that I have to click it again to reopen it to save the snip. How do I stop it doing this. Never happened on W10.Running W11, 22H2, build 22621.1265Any help appreciated....
  3. Popup window every 30mins - minimises all programs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Popup window every 30mins - minimises all programs: Hi, I have a program popup showing on my pc exactly every 30 minutes. Exactly 0:13 of every hour and 0:43 of every hour. Every time this happens, the popup shows and disappears very fast and as far as I can see, there is no task in event viewer nor is there a name when the...
  4. Popup window every 30mins - minimises all programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Popup window every 30mins - minimises all programs: Hi, I have a program popup showing on my pc exactly every 30 minutes. Exactly 0:13 of every hour and 0:43 of every hour. Every time this happens, the popup shows and disappears very fast and as far as I can see, there is no task in event viewer nor is there a name when the...
  5. Unable to run some programs at start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to run some programs at start up: Discord and Spotify did not run at start up when I turned on my computer, it was working fine yesterday.After some reasearch and troubleshooting, I noticed something in the registry editor.Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunI looked at my...
  6. How to run a program automatically when another program starts?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to run a program automatically when another program starts?: Hi I have a .exe which I want to be run automatically when I manually run another program I play League of Legends and I want to prevent myself from typing (helps me improve my mood), so I have an Autohotkey script which basically disables my Enter key when I'm in-game. I...
  7. Stop management of minimised program

Stop management of minimised program: Hi all, I'm sorry I don't know all the technical terms but I'm having a frustrating time running programmes on my machine while doing other things. I'm trying to run a programme written in python on the command line. It is fairly cpu intensive and will take several hours to...
  8. Starting a program without running it as administrator

Starting a program without running it as administrator: I just installed Photoshop CS6 and whenever I want to open it, it requires administration and I have to click "yes". Is there a way to stop this? The program seems like it's set to always run as administrator since there's a shield icon on it. But the option in the properties...
  9. Windows 10 erratically minimises program windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 erratically minimises program windows: [IMG]Greetings, I have an annoying problem with the random and erratic minimisation of any program I am working on in Windows 10 cf. screenshot. I have implemented all necessary changes to the settings that m a y be the cause of this minimisation, i.e. I have disabled the...
  10. Automatic Return to Desktop Screen at closure or minimisation of a program.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic Return to Desktop Screen at closure or minimisation of a program.: I am experiencing a very frustrating issue with my Surface Pro running Windows 10. Even though I have multiple programs open (Outlook, Chrome, Powerpoint for example) and all are maximized but layered, when I go to minimize or exit a program, the screen automatically reverts...