Windows 10: Programs will only launch as Sys Admin

Discus and support Programs will only launch as Sys Admin in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since the upgrade of 10061 and 10074 any program on my machine, that is not MS and that was installed with the update will only launch when right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dockmaster, May 3, 2015.

1. Programs will only launch as Sys Admin

Since the upgrade of 10061 and 10074 any program on my machine, that is not MS and that was installed with the update will only launch when right clicked and run as Sys Admin....am I missing something?
    Basically programs that were already installed prior to the updates.

:)

dockmaster, May 3, 2015
  2. AlexMcB Win User

Launch programs at startup VS. Launch Apps as Admin. Security policy conflict?

PCR, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but your suggestion addresses a piece of 1/2 of the problem, but doesn't actually look at this security policy / app availability conflict.

Does anybody have any suggestions or other areas where the same issue is being discussed? It seems unlikely that I'm the only person that is trying to run unsigned Desktop Apps at startup and still be allowed to use Windows Store Apps.

Thanks for your help!

AlexMcB, May 3, 2015
  3. AlexMcB Win User
    Launch programs at startup VS. Launch Apps as Admin. Security policy conflict?

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting Windows 10 to behave as it ought.

I have a number of programs I need to have launch at login, without intervention from the user. Usually, that user is myself, using an account with Admin privileges, and the things I expect to launch are privacy and accessibility tools that I've purchased
    or written over the years, in trying to make my computers more usable for somebody without the use of both hands. I'm not a professional programmer by any means, but having built computers and worked in the tech field for ~15 years now, I think I'm justified
    in calling myself a power user at least.

The only solution I've found to make these apps launch- since neither adding shortcuts in the shell:startup folder/start menu, nor MSCONFIG setup worked out of the box (for unsigned, 'you didn't buy this from a microsoft approved vendor' programs)- was
    to go into the Local Security Policy (Windows 10 Pro) setup, and disable the policy "Local policies->Security Options->User Account Control: Run All Administrators in Admin Approval Mode."

However, this promptly broke every App except Settings it seems. Launching the Store makes the screen flash once, and then the icon disappears from the Taskbar; whereas News, Groove Music, Movies & TV, Money, Edge, etc. all state "This App Can't Open:
    <app name> can't be opened using the Built-In Administrator Account. Sign in with a different account and try again."

Well, I'm signed in as myself, not under the Administrator account. Yes, my personal account is in the 'administrators' group, and thus has elevated privledges, but this seems a bit convoluted and problematic. I get that UAC is very useful for, say, 98%
    of users. But I have Pro for a reason, it shouldn't be SO restrictive that I have to start messing with Policies to get things to launch, and then turn right around and tell me 'oops! you've got too many priveledges! you're not allowed to do this, it might
    break something!'

If Apps can't be launched by the Administrator, fine- no need to have knockoff 'SugarSmush' games with superuser rights- but if a member of administrators launches an App, why can't it just launch with 'default user' permissions or something? It seems rather
    backwards that somehow my use of an account in 'administrators' calls the disabled Administrator account, but can't call the equally disabled 'DefaultAccount' for reduced permissions?

Just for grins, I tried a suggestion I'd found for solving the 'launching apps with elevated permissions' problem, which was to enable the local policy "Local policies->Security Options->User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-In Administrator
    account," but that policy seems to be hamstringed by the policy that allows the Startup folder to function uninhibited.

I don't know if this is even worth asking, but is there a way to fix this? Either something that I can do or something that can be fixed in Windows 10 to prevent this apparent conflict?

I'd like to get more out of Windows 10 than just a pretty upgrade to windows 7 with better underpinnings, by being able to use the Apps that have been built for this platform. Until this gets sorted, I guess I'll just use it like I've used 7, with Programs
    only & no Apps.

Thanks for your thoughts!

AlexMcB, May 3, 2015
Thema:

Programs will only launch as Sys Admin

1. Programs will only launch as Sys Admin - Similar Threads - Programs launch Sys

2. Program not launching

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Program not launching: I am being told by a .exe program launcher that I am missing the following files. MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll. How can I fix this please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-not-launching/726efdeb-e237-4874-ae48-e31ea78f4128
  3. Program not launching

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program not launching: I am being told by a .exe program launcher that I am missing the following files. MSVCP140.dll and VCRUNTIME140.dll. How can I fix this please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-not-launching/726efdeb-e237-4874-ae48-e31ea78f4128
  4. Program not launching

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Program will not launch

Program will not launch: A program I have used for years with Windows 10 will not launch with Windows 11. It appears to start launching circle on screen but does not fully launch. The program developer says it is compatible with Windows 11 and none of their suggestions worked. I am using an Asus...
  6. Program will not launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program will not launch: A program I have used for years with Windows 10 will not launch with Windows 11. It appears to start launching circle on screen but does not fully launch. The program developer says it is compatible with Windows 11 and none of their suggestions worked. I am using an Asus...
  7. Program launch

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Program launch: Hello,I recently installed new ram on my laptop 8 to 16 Gb but now it seems that several programs do not run properly or at all in such a way that it seems the graphics driver is the issue. For example, Minecraft will not launch at all and will return to the launcher when you...
  8. programs not launching

in Windows 10 Customization
    programs not launching: i was just on my pc paying a game then my internet cut out and since then my internet is back on but my pc does not want to open any programs such as game programs with in setting but i can open thing like discord and chrome is there any way that i can fix this because i have...
  9. Win10 sometimes will not launch a program, only a process in task manager

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 sometimes will not launch a program, only a process in task manager: Hey! I recently reformatted my PC and installed Windows 10. I've noticed that, for some reason, programs will not launch after an amount of time has passed, but this time it's not necessarily the case. Current example, I installed some mods for a HL2. I closed steam. I click...
  10. Programs not launching

Programs not launching: Hi all, Today I've been setting up my new rig and I've been hitting an issue, some programs will not launch. The three main programs I've been having issues with are: -Paint, won't start no matter what I do -Geforce Experience, starts the launcher but wont open the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows sys admin related programs