Windows 10: Programs won't open, did work for a couple of days

Discus and support Programs won't open, did work for a couple of days in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I installed Windows 10 a few days ago and it was working fine. As far as I remember, the only thing I tinkered with today were mouse settings (tails,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SueC56, Aug 17, 2015.

1. SueC56 Win User

Programs won't open, did work for a couple of days

I installed Windows 10 a few days ago and it was working fine. As far as I remember, the only thing I tinkered with today were mouse settings (tails, click speed, etc). Now I have the following problems:

1) Most/all of it is related starting up programs
    Left click on Start Menu does nothing. Right click brings up normal Start Menu items in black/white.

2) When I left click on items in the list only some of the items on the Start Menu will launch
    "Do launch" list:
    Event viewer
    Disk management
    Computer management
    Powershell
    Powershell (Admin)
    Task manager
    Run
    Shut down or sign out

"Don't launch" list:
    Programs and Features
    Power Options
    System
    Device manager
    Network Connections
    Control panel
    File Explorer
    Search

Things I have tried:
    Restart
    Restart with shift held down
    Power off button
    Checked Task Manager to verify nothing is running/hogging the system
    Checked Task Manager: Kaspersky is running using using 5% of memory.

Related problems?
    Earlier I could click on the up arrow on the right end of the task bar that normally shows things like Kaspersky, Bluetooth and other resident programs. The only thing that would show up was a "dot" icon for something. Kaspersky icon would show up gray and then disappear. Now there is no up arrow at all to click on.
    Clicking on a shortcut for Internet Explorer blinks but does nothing.
    Clicking on a shortcut for the calculator brings up a window with a small stylized calculator image and that is all.

Just now I was going to try to restart it in Safe Mode and now clicking on Restart does nothing. :-(

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. If this is addressed in another post, just point me there.

Sue C

Computers, we love them when they work

:)

SueC56, Aug 17, 2015

2. upgrades to Windows 10 a couple of days ago. I did Not get Office

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you that you are facing this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Are you referring to Microsoft office suite?

• Which version of Microsoft Office suite was installed previously?

• How did you install Microsoft Office suite previously on the computer?

Reply to us with more information to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 17, 2015
  3. upgrades to Windows 10 a couple of days ago. I did Not get Office

K THANK U

poet4ever1953, Aug 17, 2015
  4. SueC56 Win User

I gave it a few of hard reboots and all of a sudden everything is fine. I'm happy and mad all at the same time!

Thanks for listening, y'all

Sue C

SueC56, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Programs won't open, did work for a couple of days - Similar Threads - Programs won't open

2. BSOD every couple of days

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD every couple of days: I am experiencing BSOD every other day. Cannot figure it out what is it related to? The whole laptop was checked with Lenovo Test run from BIOS for any failures but it came back clean. This is my latest minidump. Maybe someone can help?************* Preparing the environment...
  3. BSOD every couple of days

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD every couple of days: I am experiencing BSOD every other day. Cannot figure it out what is it related to? The whole laptop was checked with Lenovo Test run from BIOS for any failures but it came back clean. This is my latest minidump. Maybe someone can help?************* Preparing the environment...
  4. My Program Won't Open

My Program Won't Open: I have a Windows 10 laptop, and I'm using a XP-PEN Artist 12 tablet. I used it just maybe a few months ago. Today, I tried to open the program, but it wouldn't work. It said that my computer was not recognizing the device, and that it was unknown. I went into the program for...
  5. Program won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Program won't open: Hello,I have a program that won't open on Windows 10. After I double click to run it, it's process appears in the Task Manager, stays there for some 30 seconds or so and than disappears. The program's window never appears. Here are the details.1. The program is at least six...
  6. Various Programs Won't Open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Various Programs Won't Open: This is a problem that has been going on for the past couple months. Many seemingly unrelated programs refuse to open on my computer. They'll open in the background, you can see them in task manager, but the actual app won't open. This has happened with programs from DOOM...
  7. WSOP program won't open.

WSOP program won't open.: I have been playing WSOP poker daily for a few years. Now the program won't load. It opened earlier today, but not now. Just says "loading" then never opens. My internet connection is working for other programs....
  8. Bugcheck every couple of days

Bugcheck every couple of days: Hi there. For the last month I've been getting bugchecks every couple of days. Error 01/05/2020 01:45:54 BugCheck 1001None Error 28/04/2020 15:04:27 BugCheck 1001None Error 22/04/2020 01:20:34 BugCheck 1001None Error 17/04/2020 23:11:32 BugCheck 1001None Error...
  9. Some programs won't open!?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some programs won't open!?: So, I just updated my Windows 7 to Windows 10, aaand, some games/programs open normally, and others just won't show up on my screen, i tried updating drivers/Nvidia drivers/Visual C++, turn windows protection off, but nothing. After I installed Visual C++ 2015/2017/2019, one...
  10. Program won't open

Program won't open: I have a program that I can't get to open. I tried a whole bunch of different things to solve it and nothing worked, so eventually I reinstalled Windows. That fixed it for a couple of weeks, but now it's back to not opening again. It shows up in Task Manager as a process...