Windows 10: Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu

Discus and support Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ran into a small problem after upgrading to the Anniversary Update. The update fixed a lot of my problems (listed below) after I did a clean install so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Alphaheat, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Alphaheat Win User

Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu

Ran into a small problem after upgrading to the Anniversary Update. The update fixed a lot of my problems (listed below) after I did a clean install so that was very good. I just have one small issue but after that's fixed I should be perfect.

The only problem I'm having now is when I search for programs like Control Panel, it shows up but when I go and click on it, it won't open. When I hover over it, it turns gray (like it should) but besides that, nothing happens.

Recent items seems to work and so does web portion of it.

What's also weird is some programs like Steam allows you to right click on that and go to a certain game (its like a shortcut). That works but left clicking it doesn't.

The start menu is pretty much the same story. In the list of programs that were installed, I can't open any of them. If I click on Calculator a small thin bar appears below it that's filled partially. Other then that, nothing else happens.

Any ideas?

Old problems that I had... It was solved after I did the Anniversary Update.
    :)

Alphaheat, Sep 9, 2016
  2. EGM10 Win User

My desktop icons won't open on my windows 10

I keep on double clicking to open my desktop icons but they just won't open. Even when I go to the start menu and try from there it still won't open any program. The only program it will let me open is Google Chrome. Somebody please help me.

EGM10, Sep 9, 2016
  3. start menu, search assistant and notification tray not working

start menu, seach assistant and notification tray do not open on click and rest of microsoft apps like edge and store display error message.( explorer.exe- class not registered).

already ran sfc /scannow from powershell. which didnt work.

Nikkilesh Vivekanandan, Sep 9, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, in general if your PC is compatible with Win 10, and all is fine, you are advised not to try to update drivers. Windows 10 takes care of major drivers for you.

Could you please also complete your system specs, including whether you're using Home or Pro etc
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

Now, the only changes you mention are the video drivers. Can you confirm you have installed nothing else and made no other changes at all, including changes in Settings, for example?

If not, what happens if you roll back those drivers?

Do things look normal in Safe Mode?

If you have very little you have done by way of changes, and can't quickly resolve these problems, the easiest and quickest way forward would be to reinstall. You'll waste far more time trying things and waiting for responses.

As soon as you have a working configuration, use disk imaging to secure it. If things go wrong, you can then quite quickly recover to that state by restoring the image.

Strongly recommended here:
    Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage for images.

Note: the anniversary edition is widely reported as causing a variety of problems for a significant number of people - check the web. MS is working on these, only 1 fix to address freezing so far.

dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  5. Alphaheat Win User
    Superb news! I updated to Windows 10 Anniversary and all my problems have been fixed!

Now I need to create a disk image....

Any ideas on how to do it?

Alphaheat, Sep 9, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Now that's unusual...*Biggrin - people come here reporting problems with the AU.

But a new install (effectively) should indeed resolve such issues.

So you ask a good question which will much relieve your stress levels and so help you live a longer and happier life.. for when things go wrong as you then have a fall-back and a backup.

Download and install Macrium Reflect (free) and create its boot disk/USB drive.
    You will need (e.g.) a 2Tb external USB drive - or you can back up to a network location.. remote from your PC ideally (think fire/theft flood..)

Run Macrium, and, having read some of its helpful and extensive documentation and watched some videos, click Backup, Backup Windows, note the set of partitions ticked- the whole set- and proceed, choosing your backup destination.

You can then back up other data disks and partitions.

Subsequent updates (differential) will be faster and smaller. It's unclear how to do one- you need to rt click on an existing schedule and select Differential).

You can set up a backup schedule if you wish.

Useful tip for USB disks: to have them always use the same drive letter when plugged in, use Disk Management to change the letter to, say, R (something that will never be used otherwise).

Note: this is a much more robust and flexible tool than the sometimes problematic (= doesn't work) Windows Backup and Restore).

dalchina, Sep 9, 2016
  7. Alphaheat Win User
    So far AU has solved the big problems like missing icons on the task bar, start menu not opening, etc so I'm pleased with that.

However, its not perfect yet. The only problem I'm having now is when I search for programs like Control Panel, it shows up but when I go and click on it, it won't open. When I hover over it, it turns gray (like it should) but besides that, nothing happens.

Recent items seems to work and so does web portion of it.

What's also weird is some programs like Steam allows you to right click on that and go to a certain game (its like a shortcut). That works but left clicking it doesn't.

The start menu is pretty much the same story. In the list of programs that were installed, I can't open any of them. If I click on Calculator a small thin bar appears below it that's filled partially. Other then that, nothing else happens.

I'm going to make a new thread to make things organized.

Alphaheat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu - Similar Threads - Programs Won't Open

2. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  3. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  4. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu won't open

Start menu won't open: I tried everything including: sfc /scannow DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and some more but, sfc gives me an error: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. and DISM gives me...
  6. Start Menu won't open

Start Menu won't open: The start menu won't open on my computer. I checked the Windows System log and found: Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.19041.423_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy!App as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error: "2147958016" Happened...
  7. Start Menu and Programs Won't Open

Start Menu and Programs Won't Open: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or Powerpoint, it will show starting Word...
  8. Windows start menu won't open

Windows start menu won't open: When I click on the start button nothing happens. How do I get into Windows 10? When I press the windows logo key nothing happens. Please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-wont-open/b47a8366-1687-48f9-895e-bc1a6adc45c4
  9. Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs Won't Open in Seach/Start Menu: Ran into a small problem after upgrading to the Anniversary Update. The update fixed a lot of my problems after I did a clean install so that was very good. I just have one small issue but after that's fixed I should be perfect. The only problem I'm having now is when I...
  10. Start Menu and seach window will not respond

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu and seach window will not respond: I upgraded to 10 Home yesterday and everything seemed to work fine. Today after deleting several files from my photos the system hung and I had to do a power off reboot. After that the start menu wont come up and the search window won't accept any text. Right click on the...