Windows 10: Prompt to execute shortcut

Discus and support Prompt to execute shortcut in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This time, for once, I actually want an "Are you sure . . ." window to pop up when executing a shortcut. Any suggestions? 77000 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Feb 9, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Prompt to execute shortcut

This time, for once, I actually want an "Are you sure . . ." window to pop up when executing a shortcut. Any suggestions?

:)

tcebob, Feb 9, 2017
  2. rml123 Win User

Running a command prompt as administrator ignores the "start in" folder

Hello

I can't find a forum category for Windows 10 desktop apps, so i've put it in the nearest i could find.

I have a command prompt shortcut saved to my desktop. For the shortcut, I have set "Start in" to the folder i want it to open to and the "Target" is "%windir%\system32\cmd.exe". This successfully opens at the Start In folder when i execute the shortcut.

I now want to run as administrator. If i set this under the Advanced tab of the shortcut and execute the shortcut it doesn't open in the right place anymore. It opens in c:\Windows\system32 The same thing happens if I right-click and "Run as administrator"

Is this a bug? If not, how do i open in the folder I specify as administrator?

thanks ....

rml123, Feb 9, 2017
  3. emccull Win User
    Permissions between Windows 7 and Windows 10

Thanks, I poked around that a bit and didn't get any different results.

I attempted to run the executable, the shortcut leads to, directly with a right-click "Run As Admin".

I set the permissions on the shortcut to "Full Control".

I checked the "Run as Admin" box on the shortcut.

They all returned that the executable can't find the config file it's trying to open.

As an aside in hopes it sparks something for someone, I've got a separate software install I'm looking at and when I run the install as a right-click "Run as Admin" it returns a "file not found" type error but I execute the same exact install in a Administrator
    Command Prompt and it runs without error.

It's almost as if the Run as Admin command is either starting with some different properties or some are being changed to something that's causing things to go awry.

emccull, Feb 9, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

You could have the shortcut point to a very simple Autohotkey script
    Autohotkey is a free scripting language, well supported, and yours is a trivial case, so using the help file and examples you should be able to achieve that.

The script would use a
    MsgBox

Displays the specified text in a small window containing one or more buttons (such as Yes and No).

followed by

IfMsgBox

Checks which button was pushed by the user during the most recent MsgBox command.

IfMsgBox, ButtonName

to check the response, and then conditionally launches your program.

dalchina, Feb 9, 2017
  5. tcebob Win User
    OK, good suggestion. I normally use HotkeyP for key macros so I'll try that first. But Autohotkey is more extensive and I keep a copy at the ready.

tcebob, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Prompt to execute shortcut - Similar Threads - Prompt execute shortcut

2. Executable making a "sub" executable shows in the Administrator Command Prompt :"Error...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Executable making a "sub" executable shows in the Administrator Command Prompt :"Error...: As mentioned in the title, I have used the 'cl' <insert.exe> command to generate and executable from source, the initial program works very well with no issue. Its not a source code issue from the C program but a security issue from within Windows.The executable then creates...
  3. Executable making a "sub" executable shows in the Administrator Command Prompt :"Error...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Executable making a "sub" executable shows in the Administrator Command Prompt :"Error...: As mentioned in the title, I have used the 'cl' <insert.exe> command to generate and executable from source, the initial program works very well with no issue. Its not a source code issue from the C program but a security issue from within Windows.The executable then creates...
  4. Executable making a "sub" executable shows in the Administrator Command Prompt :"Error...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute: This annoyance is still evident in Windows 11 22H2, perhaps because it's deeply embedded in the code or of very low priority, Many years ago, it was referred to MS high level support.When assigned shortcut keys are used to launch a program there is a delay - usually about...
  6. Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute

Keyboard shortcuts slow to execute: This annoyance is still evident in Windows 11 22H2, perhaps because it's deeply embedded in the code or of very low priority, Many years ago, it was referred to MS high level support.When assigned shortcut keys are used to launch a program there is a delay - usually about...
  7. Command Prompt Shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command Prompt Shortcut: Why don't we have a direct shortcut to open the command prompt cmd in windows ?The closest way i find opening cmd is using Win + R to open the run window and then typing "cmd" to open the cmd window, or by pressing Win Key then searching for cmd and opening an admin cmd...
  8. Command Prompt Shortcut

Command Prompt Shortcut: Why don't we have a direct shortcut to open the command prompt cmd in windows ?The closest way i find opening cmd is using Win + R to open the run window and then typing "cmd" to open the cmd window, or by pressing Win Key then searching for cmd and opening an admin cmd...
  9. Command Prompt Shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Need to make a command prompt shortcut

Need to make a command prompt shortcut: Hi, I'm really struggling with command prompt right now, it doesn't make any sense, and I have found ZERO info through repeated Google searches. I'm on Windows 10 and for some reason my Photoshop CS6 refuses to open and throws the stupid "This app has been blocked for...