Windows 10: Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

Discus and support Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Howdy All - I'm thinking I'm not the first nor the last to have MS trick me into changing my User Name from Local to (in my case) an outlook.com email... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by jdUnionngarden, May 7, 2016.

1. Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

Howdy All -
    I'm thinking I'm not the first nor the last to have MS trick me into changing my User Name from Local to (in my case) an outlook.com email account. Now I'm forced to sign in every time I log on. And FWIW, I prefer to be fully in charge of my devices.
    -
    I surely would appreciate some guidance on the proper way to switch back to a Local User and disassociate my computer from outlook.com. Many thanks in advance for reading this and all replies.

Best,
    /jdU

:)

jdUnionngarden, May 7, 2016
  2. vpinkySW Win User

.docx files cannot open

its working... thank you!! but is thr any other way to make it proper?? coz all my files r in user acc..

actually word is only not working... cannot open word!! any other way to resolve this?? to make word to work?? suggestions. . . . thank you

vpinkySW, May 7, 2016
  3. 93tid Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, May 7, 2016
  4. cbwilsha Win User

Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

cbwilsha, May 7, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hellio jdU, *Smile

If you were only concerned about not having to sign in at startup, then OPTION ONE in the tutorial below will show you how to set Windows to automatically sign in to your Microsoft account at startup.

Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

Brink, May 7, 2016
  6. Hello Brink,
    I think I need to fix something before getting into hot water.
    Letssee ...
    I set up a new local user "First M. Last" <-my full name (I had to add middle because I was told "First Last" had already been used.
    Then I added a password to "First M. Last" ... and reading further saw I didn't need a password, I could leave it blank. I went back and changed it to blank. Further reading convinced me to add back my password 'to be safe" (LOL)
    Then I did a Restart and was presented with "Your password is wrong" -> Enter
    Bottom left I now had 2 identical user names, one highlighted:
    First M. Last
    First M. Last
    I highlighted the other and my password worked.
    I can't see 2 local user names but apparently one is 'associated' with just the "First" while the other is 'associated' with "First M. Last".
    Before I try setting it to sign in automatically, I suspect I need to find and delete the 'other' user.

Hope this isn't too confusing; can you help?
    Thanks
    /jdU

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It sounds like you may already have Windows set to automatically sign in to this account. If so, then that would explain the "Your password is wrong" message after you removed you password since netplwiz isn't updated for passwords.

If you like, try going through the tutorial to set Windows to automatically sign in the account to update it with the blank password to see if that helps.

Brink, May 7, 2016
  8. Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

Perfect! *chuckle
    Thanks very much Brink!
    *Solved*

/jdU

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

1. Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User - Similar Threads - Proper Safe change

2. Local users

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local users: I was trying to find the super admin account i saw on youtube and i went to check computer management it is not there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-users/be14c01f-d712-4170-9943-dea67bfeceab
  3. Local users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local users: I was trying to find the super admin account i saw on youtube and i went to check computer management it is not there https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-users/be14c01f-d712-4170-9943-dea67bfeceab
  4. change name of "local user"

in Windows 10 Customization
    change name of "local user": On my laptop windows 10 I am called "local user" how can I change this to my name? I know it's petty but I hate it! simple directions pretty please :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-name-of-local-user/d800757d-ee90-454b-9c52-5af36779d1cd
  5. How to change my user name folder in a safe way ?

How to change my user name folder in a safe way ?: Hello folks.. Like the titles says... how to change my user name folder ? see this screenshot right here.. the name is typed wrong ! don't know when this happened ! i have just installed a copy on my new PC, after it got finished windows asked me for Microsoft account if...
  6. Change Local User into MicroSoft Accout

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change Local User into MicroSoft Accout: Win 10 Pro 1803 Details regarding my desire to change as little as possible: Using this PC as server for two other win 10 PCs on home network. All very old, barely able to run win 10, activations from win7, were XP (server), XP and Vista. Activations for none appear...
  7. Changing to a local user account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing to a local user account.: Hey guys, I am thinking of changing to a local user account. My main questions is, when there is a windows update (1809 to 1903) would my personal settings be still there when i upgrade or will I have to redo my settings? Also, if I change to a local account, would that...
  8. Hyper-V as a safe local user

Hyper-V as a safe local user: Hello everyone, I bought W10 pro last week. I've set up some VM's for whom i had some older Windows keys for. My question is, i want to use these VM's as a sort of user. Because my real Local user accounts have important software that i want to keep seperate (like one is a...
  9. Changing from local user to Microsoft account user, windows password not known.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Changing from local user to Microsoft account user, windows password not known.: I changed to a local user on my PC, I think this was a pop up suggestion by windows, now my laptop and PC won't communicate. I want to switch back to my Microsoft account sign in on my PC Clicking 'sign in with Microsoft account instead' on 'your info' page under...
  10. how to change a user from local user

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to change a user from local user: How the heck do I change a user account(admin type) from being a local user, when I need to log into a network? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-a-user-from-local-user/5cf90880-2c4d-4c06-9baa-c0dc5b894dbf