Windows 10: Protecting yourself from In-Browser Miners

Discus and support Protecting yourself from In-Browser Miners in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; As always, Thanks Cliff. I need all the help I can get, and it's appreciated. You're welcome*Smile Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Cliff S, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Cliff S New Member

Protecting yourself from In-Browser Miners

You're welcome*Smile

Cliff S, Mar 8, 2018
  2. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Mar 24, 2018
  3. worf105 Win User
    worf105, Mar 24, 2018
  4. Cliff S New Member

You're welcome Andrew, by the way, there are 1422 mining addresses this time around*Eek

Cliff S, Mar 24, 2018
  5. worf105 Win User
    And growing.

worf105, Mar 24, 2018
  6. As always Cliff, thanks for taking care of us.

Wiley Coyote, Mar 24, 2018
  7. Callender Win User
    Update: HOSTS file method doesn't block this particular script. It still gets blocked by my AV. However improvements to Firefox mean that it's no longer a problem. If I switch to another browser even with updated hosts file and coin block addons the script still tries to activate.

Lesson learned. Use Firefox for certain websites. Basic protection works.

Protecting yourself from In-Browser Miners [​IMG]

Protecting yourself from In-Browser Miners [​IMG]

Source:
    Firefox Working on Protection Against In-Browser Cryptojacking Scripts

Callender, Mar 24, 2018
  8. Protecting yourself from In-Browser Miners

Hi,
    Good one @Cliff S *Smile
    I didn't have a host calender folder just the host never messed with the host file before but yeah a hidden folder *Smile
    Palemoon the no miner add-on was not compatible so had to do the host file deal so thanks for the caveman instructions *Thumbs
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Mar 25, 2018
  9. shimshom Win User
    shimshom, Mar 25, 2018
  10. Interesting routine. Thanks for posting it. Think I will hold off running it, waiting for others with more knowledge to comment.

Wiley Coyote, Mar 25, 2018
  11. Cliff S New Member
    You both are welcome*Smile

Cliff S, Mar 25, 2018
  12. Hi,
    Is one supposed to use cmd and flush dns after editing the host file ?
    Code: ipconfig /flushdns[/quote]

ThrashZone, Mar 25, 2018
  13. Cliff S New Member

[/quote] I don't, it might make sense if you were on a mining page, but there is no need to, as that can slow browsing down.
    You're system will need to get the ip addresses all over again, to the sites you visit frequently.

Cliff S, Mar 25, 2018
  14. Hi,
    I didn't have much if any host list before so it was only about dozen or so text lines lol *Smile
    I pretty much delete everything on exit so frequent websites not needed *Smile

But flush dns wouldn't effect the new list would it ?

ThrashZone, Mar 25, 2018
  15. AndreTen Win User
    Some more interesting reading..

krebsonsecurity | who-and-what-is-coinhive

AndreTen, Mar 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Protecting yourself from In-Browser Miners - Similar Threads - Protecting yourself Browser

2. Go **** yourself Microsoft!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Go **** yourself Microsoft!: Go **** yourself Microsoft! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/go-yourself-microsoft/b7b90804-8716-496b-a1f2-462b46d5586a
  3. Miner virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Miner virus: Hi, i have Miner virus that uses 100% cpu and when i open task manager it drops to 0% and how i know its at 100%, i use WIN+G and see that i have 100% on the Performance tab.I have tried some virus scanners/protection but none of them seemed to work.Are there anyone that know...
  4. Crypto Miners

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Crypto Miners: So, I have really wanted Discord Nitro for a while now, and I saw that a crypto miner has partnered with discord and has been sponsored by many large creators, I live in my parents house so electricity isn't a problem, but is it worth it? Like I have a 1660s and an i7 and I...
  5. Miner fikes

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Miner fikes: I'm trying to install phoenix miner and it keeps getting instantly deleted and says failed to download and error downloading I know its malware because it's a mining software but I'm just trying to mine ETH. can someone plz help me I have been working on this for days now...
  6. "system" miner???

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "system" miner???: For the past few days I've been noticing a sudden jump in my task manager. If I happen to leave my PC for around 5 minutes, the process "System" starts to overtake my disk usage, sometimes bringing it from 5% to 99%.After I move my mouse it instantly goes back to 1%-5% Anyone...
  7. Protect yourself from Ransomware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Protect yourself from Ransomware: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-controlled-folder-access-windows-10-fall-creators-update submitted by /u/wclinch [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fc4dp3/protect_yourself_from_ransomware/
  8. Protect yourself online with these useful tips and PureVPN

in Windows 10 News
    Protect yourself online with these useful tips and PureVPN: With Black Friday on the horizon, it won’t be too long before shoppers and bargain hunters rush to grab the best deals and discounts on their favorite items. However, while it’s a great day to slash out your money on appliances, gadgets, Christmas gifts, etc. there are also...
  9. How does a browser injected coin miner work?

in Browsers and Email
    How does a browser injected coin miner work?: I seem to have fell prey to a website that had either intentionally or unintentionally been injected with a coin miner. I first noticed high CPU temps and thought my CPU cooler had failed. Then I found Chrome's high CPU utilization in Task Manager and then the culprit website...
  10. Create a single file to protect yourself from the latest ransomware

in Windows 10 News
    Create a single file to protect yourself from the latest ransomware: There's no cure for the latest ransomware attack, but a researcher has discovered a way to prevent infection through the creation of a single Windows file. As reported by Bleeping Computer, there is a way to prevent infection -- not cure, but protect from -- which takes...