Windows 10: PSU/GPU Power Problem

Discus and support PSU/GPU Power Problem in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I originally had an asus R7 250x that stopped working with my PC and it would not boot/display. Pressing the power button would yield no result. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Durion, May 29, 2016.

1. Durion Win User

PSU/GPU Power Problem

I originally had an asus R7 250x that stopped working with my PC and it would not boot/display. Pressing the power button would yield no result. It worked fine for 3+ months before giving me this problem. I had a friend with a 500w PSU and he let me have it. I installed it and instead of not booting, the power led would light up, but my mouse would blink red once and then go out. The GPU should work fine with a 400w PSU but was giving me problems with this 500w. I gave up and bought a GTX 560 Ti. Stuck it in, PC worked fine, installed drivers etc. That was yesterday. Today I needed to do something that required me shutting down my PC and upon doing so, it would not turn back on. Gave me the power led on/mouse blinking red once then going out problem with no display. Before going and buying a bigger PSU I wanna make sure its not power that's the problem. I would very much like to fix this up without having to buy anything.

Win 10
    Inspiron i3847
    Inland 500w Gold Rated PSU

:)

Durion, May 29, 2016
  2. Hammah808 Win User

Computer keeps crashing when trying to play any game in 4k

I found out that my problem was a hardware issue since one of my GPUs wasnt getting enouph power because one of the six pin adapters only had one side plugged in since my PSU didn't have another wire to plug into the other side even though my GPU was powering
    on. I fixed this by using a separate PSU on the GPU that wasn't getting enough power.

Hammah808, May 29, 2016
  3. Reineman Win User
    PC Shutting Down automatically with NO BSOD.

Unfortunately there was no error messages with this problem. It would just power off. I am pretty sure that I have narrowed it down and confirmed my assumption of a bad PSU. I ran 2 separate stress test's on the PC. One stress test on the CPU which ran
    fine and did not force the crash. When I ran the stress test on the GPU at max load the PC instantly shut down. If the GPU is was the problem I believe it would have brought up a BSOD. The PC powering off with no error messages when the GPU draws max current
    leads me to believe that my PSU must surely be going bad.

PS. I will update after I replace the PSU (which may be a while). I have seen many with this problem across the World Wide Web, maybe a whole bunch of PSU problems out there that this will help if infact it is the PSU.

Reineman, May 29, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

PSU/GPU Power Problem

This is more of a hardware issue and would require electronic power testing...
    as one bad solder joint or power chip, power fuse on the mobo could be an issue...

better off searching the issue via the model number..

Dell Inspiron 3847 wont power on... or powers on briefly..

5. Durion Win User
    It works perfectly fine without the GPU in, which leads me to think that's the problem.

Durion, May 29, 2016
  6. Kyhi Win User
    ok so test with another GPU

7. Durion Win User
    Same result with GTX 560 ti and R7 250x

Durion, May 29, 2016
  8. Kyhi Win User

PSU/GPU Power Problem

then reverse test them in another PC - and see what happens...

how does the GPU get power ?? via the MOBO card slot ??

9. Durion Win User
    R7 250x 1x 6pin GTX 650ti 2x 6pin They both worked fine on my friend's PC

Durion, May 29, 2016
  10. Kyhi Win User
    Ok so it seems to me you have tested 2 power supplies in your case...
    And you have tested the two GPU's in a different case...

and the results tell you what ???

11. Durion Win User
    Tested GPUs on friend's PC and they worked fine. Switched out my gpu with another 500w tried different PSU/GPU combos but none worked.

Durion, May 29, 2016
  12. Kyhi Win User
    so it is safe to say it is not the PSU or GPU as the cause of the issue..

You stated the issue is when the GPU is plugged into your case..

Since the PSU plugs into the GPU (and both appear to be testing good) the only other common connection is the MOBO or card slot

13. NavyLCDR New Member

PSU/GPU Power Problem

Maybe the problem is somewhere else on the motherboard, then?

NavyLCDR, May 29, 2016
  14. Kyhi Win User
    my thinking based on prior experience with dell pc's - is that there is a bad solder joint or loose card slot pin on the motherboard..
    Dells will shut down is no video card detected.. Some models of dells will flash the power led or emit a beep code..

to test apply different points of flex pressure on the gpu - if you get it to boot - flex the card to see if it shuts down..

15. CountMike New Member
    Is there another PCIe x16 slot you can try in ?
    Setting in BIOS to assign PCIe as default primary display or turn IGPU off ?

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

PSU/GPU Power Problem

1. PSU/GPU Power Problem - Similar Threads - PSU GPU Power

2. Computer issue, psu, gpu ??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer issue, psu, gpu ??: https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArWaN6TlYgR8hxNqUyBtTkGby5zW?e=t5p0yI these are the dump files leading to the crash https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-issue-psu-gpu/4b037f23-c365-4bcf-a42a-e759c0931130
  3. Computer issue, psu, gpu ??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer issue, psu, gpu ??: https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArWaN6TlYgR8hxNqUyBtTkGby5zW?e=t5p0yI these are the dump files leading to the crash https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-issue-psu-gpu/4b037f23-c365-4bcf-a42a-e759c0931130
  4. psu cool master gx 750 psu gpu or cpu power cutting out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    psu cool master gx 750 psu gpu or cpu power cutting out: Hello i have a problem with my coolmaster gx 750 watt psu its gold rated windows runs fine but any sort of gaming and the psu powers of and resets the pc with complete power failure iv ordered a g2 super nova evga but want to know if this is still usesble it was working until...
  5. psu cool master gx 750 psu gpu or cpu power cutting out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    psu cool master gx 750 psu gpu or cpu power cutting out: Hello i have a problem with my coolmaster gx 750 watt psu its gold rated windows runs fine but any sort of gaming and the psu powers of and resets the pc with complete power failure iv ordered a g2 super nova evga but want to know if this is still usesble it was working until...
  6. psu cool master gx 750 psu gpu or cpu power cutting out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Can I connect GPU to this PSU?

Can I connect GPU to this PSU?: Hello, so I am buying a new GPU to upgrade my system. Since the new GPU is more power demanding than the previous one, it requires a 6-pin connection from the PSU in addition to the power provided by the PCI-E slot. I just checked and my PSU only seems to have a couple of...
  8. PSU or Power Button fault?

PSU or Power Button fault?: Hello, I have a somewhat peculiar problem. For a while now, to boot up my PC I'd have to press the Power button several times until it succeeds; the PC then boots up normally as if nothing happened. However, the Power button is now not working anymore even if I press it a...
  9. defective gpu or faulty psu?

defective gpu or faulty psu?: I built a gaming pc last month and everything works except for playing games, everytime I try to play a game I get a red screen of death within the first 10-15 minutes. I have gotton support from the developers of the games and I have troubleshooted just about everything...
  10. Looking for a PSU Monitor (Erratic problems - PSU or SSD problem?)

Looking for a PSU Monitor (Erratic problems - PSU or SSD problem?): For the past few weeks, I've been having major problems with my Win 10 Pro X64 system. I won't bore you with a full list of the issues and problem solving. However, here are links to my previous 2 threads on my issues: Can't open and Metro style Windows app How to identify...