Windows 10: Enforce Password History for Local Accounts in Windows 10

Discus and support Enforce Password History for Local Accounts in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enforce Password History for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Enforce Password History for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, May 24, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enforce Password History for Local Accounts in Windows 10

How to: Enforce Password History for Local Accounts in Windows 10

How to Enforce Password History for Local Accounts in Windows 10

Enforce Password History for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information The local account before an old password can be reused. Password reuse is an important concern in any organization. Many users want to reuse the same password for their account over a long period of time. The longer the same password is used for a particular account, the greater the chance that an attacker will be able to determine the password through brute force attacks. If users are required to change their password, but they can reuse an old password, the effectiveness of a good password policy is greatly reduced.

Specifying a low number for Enforce password history allows users to continually use the same small number of passwords repeatedly. If you do not also set Minimum password age, users can change their password as many times in a row as necessary to reuse their original password.

This tutorial will show you how to enforce password history to make local accounts use a specified number of new passwords before an old password can be reused in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to change the minimum password length.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Change Enforce Password History Settings for Local Accounts using Local Security Policy
    • Option Two: To Change Enforce Password History Settings for Local Accounts using Command Prompt

EXAMPLE: "The password you entered doesn't meet password policy requirements" error

OPTION ONE [/i] To Change Enforce Password History Settings for Local Accounts using Local Security Policy

Note Local Security Policy is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Two below.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type secpol.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Local Security Policy.

2. Navigate to Account Policies and Password Policy in the left pane of Local Security Policy. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Password Policy, double click/tap on the Enforce password history policy. (see screenshot above)

4. Type in a number between 0 and 24 for how many passwords you want remembered, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshots below)

Note The default setting is 0 passwords remembered to not enforce password history for local accounts.

5. When finished, you can close the Local Security Policy window if you like.

6. If you like, you may also want to change the minimum password age to a higher number to help prevent local accounts from just changing their password as many times in a row as necessary to reuse their original password.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Change Enforce Password History Settings for Local Accounts using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, press Enter, and make note of the current length (number) of password history maintained (remembered). (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net accounts

3. Enter the command below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow net accounts /uniquepw:Number

Note Substitute Number in the command above with a number between 0 (none) and 24 for how many passwords you want remembered.

The default setting is 0 passwords remembered to not enforce password history for local accounts.

4. When finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

5. If you like, you may also want to change the minimum password age to a higher number to help prevent local accounts from just changing their password as many times in a row as necessary to reuse their original password.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, May 24, 2017
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Enforce Password History for Local Accounts in Windows 10

Forgot Local account password

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you as you do not remember the local account password, we will help you with this issue.

Kindly let us know if you have Microsoft account on your computer.

If so, I suggest you to log-in with the Microsoft account and change the password for the local account.

Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key, type Settings
      and press Enter.
    • Then click on Change PC settings.

(If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click
      Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap Accounts, and then click Sign-in options.
    • Tap Change your password and follow the instructions.

For reference: Passwords in Windows: FAQ

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Forgot Local Password

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and reset the password for the local account and check.

• Login in to your Microsoft account.

• Press Windows logo key + X key.

• Select Computer Management.

• Click on Local user and group.

• In the right window pane, double click on user’s folder.

• Right click on local user account and select set password and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Oct 26, 2019
  6. P4-630 Win User
    How to reset Windwos 8 Password?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

• If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:
      • If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
      • If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. ...
      • If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.

P4-630, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Enforce Password History for Local Accounts in Windows 10

1. Enforce Password History for Local Accounts in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Enforce Password History

2. Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two...: Hi,I am getting confused need help to clarify if possible.Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two different things?Case 1. When we turn on computer there is a screen shows login, is that called Password of local account in Windows...
  3. Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two...: Hi,I am getting confused need help to clarify if possible.Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two different things?Case 1. When we turn on computer there is a screen shows login, is that called Password of local account in Windows...
  4. Password of local account in Windows 10 and Microsoft account password are they two...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Password Recovery for Local Windows 10 Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Recovery for Local Windows 10 Account: So I've seem to forgotten my password for my account on my PC, I had it written down yet for some reason whatever I have written doesn't work. I can still login because I have a PIN set as well as Windows Hello but I want to change my password and I can't do it without...
  6. Windows Local Account password recovery?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Local Account password recovery?: Recently my PC wouldn't boot, and I tried to use the recovery options. I was required to sign in to my account, but my Microsoft account password wasn't accepted. I think this means I was being asked to sign in with a local account, which I haven't used in years, and...
  7. Local admin account password - Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local admin account password - Windows 10: Hi, my laptop suffers from occasional disk errors and I get into disk repair mode. I get asked for a password I assume admin and enter it successfully - job done? Not exactly, I can't figure out how to change this password as I can't see a password change option under account...
  8. Windows Local Account lost password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows Local Account lost password: I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. A few months ago, my mom bought a laptop from Dell. She set it up with 2 local accounts, with her as the only admin account, and now she's forgotten the password. All the information I've...
  9. Remove Password of Local Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Password of Local Account in Windows 10: How to: Remove Password of Local Account in Windows 10 How to Remove Password of Local Account in Windows 10 [img] Information If you have a local account on the PC, then your Windows password is what you use to sign in to your user account in Windows on the PC....
  10. Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10: How to: Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10 How to Add Password to Local Account in Windows 10 [img] Information Using a strong password is among the most important steps you can take to protect your computer from hackers and other unwelcome users. If you...