Windows 10: Public Computer Chrome Private vs. Guest Mode

Discus and support Public Computer Chrome Private vs. Guest Mode in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So I was on a public computer today and went to gmail and I always use Private Mode and in addition I restart the computer when I am done. Today was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by phaedruspress, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Public Computer Chrome Private vs. Guest Mode

So I was on a public computer today and went to gmail and I always use Private Mode and in addition I restart the computer when I am done. Today was the first time I saw an option to browse in Guest mode as opposed to private mode.

https://support.google.com/chrome/an...sktop&hl=en-GB

Open Guest mode

• On your computer, open Chrome.
    • At the top right, click the button with a name or People
      Public Computer Chrome Private vs. Guest Mode [​IMG]
    • Click Guest.

I noticed that the People icon is not available in Private mode but only when I open up a regular browser window. So on a public computer which offers more privacy selecting private mode or guest mode. I use a public computer every day for an hour or so and this was the first time I saw that option. TIA.

:)

phaedruspress, Mar 25, 2018

2. Windows 10 change wireless network from public to private

We have a private network set up that is used by a few home computers. The network is private on all computers but one. It is suddenly showing as public on one computer. When going to advanced sharing options, everything is set as you have shown above.
    This computer says that the current profile is "Guest or Public".

Also, this computer says that the device is connected to our network but has no internet access. We are not sure why this is happening. Troubleshoot does not help.

ConnieSopha, Mar 25, 2018
  3. How to change the Wireless connection to private in Windows 10

Original Title: wirelss network connection Private vs Public

Windows 10 cannot change my home wirelss to PRIVATE on my laptop What is the procedure???

CaptainCam, Mar 25, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

Public Computer Chrome Private vs. Guest Mode

Your link gives the answer to your question as far as I can see.

What are you asking?

5. >What are you asking?

First off when I wrote "Private Mode" I meant to write "Incognito Mode." I guess what I was asking was I thought that Incognito Mode on a public computer accomplishes everything regarding privacy that Guest Mode does. Maybe I should read through the link again.

6. lx07 Win User
    Incognito is possibly good enough.

Do remember though that if you download things your IP will be leaked and copies will be saved in temp files.

The sites you visit will also try to identify you by various other means (what your browser is, your screen resolution and many other things).

If you want privacy you should use TOR, not change the defaults and then read their help... Download Tor

7. >If you want privacy you should use TOR

Right. I am familiar with TOR but as I said this question was regarding a public computer and in this case it is a Library computer and they are locked down tight. No installs allowed. I guess I could check to see if there is a portable TOR but on this Libraries network some portable apps will "install" while others just won't.

8. lx07 Win User

TOR is portable - you download an exe file but when you run it it just unzips the folder contents to (by default) your desktop. It doesn't install anything in the normal sense.

There is also the tails distribution but that would rely on you being able to boot from USB. In libraries here you definitely can't do that - they are quite locked down.

9. >TOR is portable

Thanks for the info. I'll look for it and try the next time I am there. Though as I mentioned it's a crap shoot whether or not the portable app will install or not. For instance I can fire up the exe file (portable) of VLC and it runs just fine. However I can not do the same with Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition.

phaedruspress, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Public Computer Chrome Private vs. Guest Mode - Similar Threads - Public Computer Chrome

2. Public or Private etc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public or Private etc.: May have asked before but security is key. If im on computer at home in a highly networked area,computer is personal use not work,,is it Public or private i have to make sure its on????. Network wise?.If it was on the wrong one,,,,, at some point could people get into my...
  3. Public or Private etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public or Private etc.: May have asked before but security is key. If im on computer at home in a highly networked area,computer is personal use not work,,is it Public or private i have to make sure its on????. Network wise?.If it was on the wrong one,,,,, at some point could people get into my...
  4. Networking,, ? Public vs. Private vs. VPN

Networking,, ? Public vs. Private vs. VPN: Net Networking: For my lifetime of web surfing, configurations, re configurations, downloading, etc, etc,,. Up till this point. there was never a question of which net work was the most stable and secure. Its definatly a new era in computation, as VIRTUALLY increaceing in the...
  5. private vs public

private vs public: Hopefully, this is a minor question. I have two computers sharing a single wireless access point. One is set to private domain. The other is set to public. I believe this is the reason why they cannot see each other and share files. For the computer that is set to public, I...
  6. Public or Private

Public or Private: I have a PC on my network connected via Ethernet, should I set the network profile to Public or Private? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/public-or-private/b5726991-3097-48a7-8942-a09107bd04d3
  7. Public vs Private networks and how to change it from the default of Public for privacy...

Public vs Private networks and how to change it from the default of Public for privacy...: My network is set to Public but I am afraid that outside parties can use it, if it is set that way. I only use a desktop computer, tablets and cell phones on my network and want to share a multi-function printer between them. How can I change this to a "Private" network and...
  8. Public vs Private

Public vs Private: I am confused between Public and Private. I used my computer at home. For internet, to play online games, for browsing. Normal stuff. I don't work outside the home. I have DSL. So far Windows 10 has me on a Homegroup. I don't know if that's good or bad. Remember - I...
  9. Public to Private

Public to Private: Can't switch from public to private with 1083 build. Is there a solution? I've tried some from the internet, none worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/public-to-private/19e102bf-9b7f-43d5-8d3b-affc260109c3
  10. Private or Public

Private or Public: I just noticed in Windows defender My network is listed as public. Does it matter if my network is listed as private or public. I found how to change it if I have to. I just want to know if it matters. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. In the network box...