Windows 10: Public/Private network will not change - all methods not working

Discus and support Public/Private network will not change - all methods not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Can’t change a publicnetwork to a private one. Tried all posts on what to do - nothing works – remainspublic. Example – when in file explorer – try... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chris1944, May 4, 2016.

1. Chris1944 Win User

Public/Private network will not change - all methods not working

Can’t change a publicnetwork to a private one. Tried all posts on what to do - nothing works – remainspublic. Example – when in file explorer – try network – “error” need to makenetwork “accessible click here” which should change to private – does not work.
    A few weeks, ago whenI was trying to connect to a new PC - I ran Microsoft network software “Fix” that wasoffered by Windows 10 – problem started then.
    Workaround used - turn on “network discovery” in public network (don’twant to leave this on!).
    I am running windows 10 on Fast Ring - build 14332

:)

Chris1944, May 4, 2016

2. How to apply network location manually without using troubleshooter

Since upgrading my system to Windows 10, I have found no simple way to update my network location. Of course it defaults to "Public", which is fine, except in order to change to private, I have to start the HomeGroup troubleshooter. In previous versions,
    I could simply click the network location which was a link. I could click it, and change the network type by selecting the appropriate, public, private or work. Now I have no idea how to change it if indeed I inadvertently set a network to private and needed
    to change back to public.

Now in Windows 10 it is completely hidden and the only method to change is using the troubleshooter.

Can anyone provide a different method of changing the network location?

Wayne _CDX_, May 4, 2016
  3. How can I set my Wifi connection from public network to private network?

How to Change a Wireless Network to Private or Public

To change from a public network to a private network for vice versa, start by connecting to your network. You can do this by opening the available Network icon in the Notification area. Select the network, then connect to it. After connecting, select it then
    click Properties.

Here you can change your Network profile to Public or Private. Choose the one that best suits your environment.

How to Change a Wired Network to Public or Private

If you want to change the network profile for a wired network, open Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet then click your network adapter.

Then choose the profile you want.

Customize Public and Private Network Settings

You can change the settings for your public or private networks. For example, if you wanted to make your computer discoverable on public networks (not recommended) or disable file or printer sharing on a private network, you could.

Open Start > Settings > Network & Internet, under Change your network settings, click Sharing options.

Expand Private or public, then choose the radio box for the desired options such as turning off network discovery, file and printer sharing or accessing homegroup connections.

MOre information:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/change-network...

Andre Da Costa, May 4, 2016
Thema:

Public/Private network will not change - all methods not working

1. Public/Private network will not change - all methods not working - Similar Threads - Public Private network

2. Public or Private Changing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public or Private Changing: Going nuts again! My puters that are ok with what is told on the net is correct. But, one is not, I click on properties when I bring up connections, does not bring a way to change the profile. 2004 must have changed something again. This is WFi which should mean nothing. If...
  3. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  4. Cannot change network from public to private

Cannot change network from public to private: hello greetings from cloudy Scotland! I would like to ask community for help with network policy. I want to keep all PCs in private net but every time I reset PCs network changes from private to public. I tried to change network from public to private using admin account...
  5. Network changed from Private to Public

Network changed from Private to Public: I have windows 10 version 1803 now my wifi network connection shows public not private so I can not get to the internet. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-changed-from-private-to-public/503943f0-a5e9-483e-b1ef-a964d4e99178
  6. How to change public network to private

How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  7. How to change public network to private

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change public network to private: My wife's laptop jumped into public network mode yesterday for no known reason. I remember that it happened to my desktop last year, and I found instructions online showing how to change it back. So yesterday we searched online and she found the secpol.msc method. I...
  8. Change all connected networks to private instead of public?

Change all connected networks to private instead of public?: Is there a way I can change all connected networks to private instead of public with a click-able script? The problem was that a User was connected to an open network using a VPN which then also connected showing Public. With both as Public, they could not map to a network...
  9. change network location from public to private

change network location from public to private: Hi guys I am running a laptop with windows 10 , so how do I change the network profile from public to private . thanks 86368
  10. Change Network from Public to Private

Change Network from Public to Private: So I have Windows 10 up and running...How do I change my home Wi-Fi from Public networks to Private? I also want to join my homegroup however cannot seem to figure it out.... Thanks 12023