Windows 10: Purchase new laptop, updated, but no windows 10

Discus and support Purchase new laptop, updated, but no windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; G'day lads, I just just recently purchased a laptop with Windows 8.1 as below: Buy ASUS 15.6" F550DP-XX178H W8 Notebook | Read Reviews | Dick... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by scraps, Jun 3, 2015.

1. scraps Win User

Purchase new laptop, updated, but no windows 10

G'day lads,

I just just recently purchased a laptop with Windows 8.1 as below:

Buy ASUS 15.6" F550DP-XX178H W8 Notebook | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping

System Spec

Computer type:LaptopSystem Manufacturer/Model Number:ASUS/F550DP-XX178HOS:Windows 8.1CPU:AMD Dual Core A6-5350M APU (2.9GHz)Motherboard:AMD Dual Core A6-5350M APU (2.9GHz)Memory:1TB HDDGraphics Card(s):AMD Radeon HD 8670M (Sun-XT) 2GB Graphics

I've taken steps to do all the Windows update to the point that there's no more updates required and I am seeking to get the Windows 10 icon so that I can update from Windows 8.1. Unfortunately, nothing seems to be popping up on the bottom right of my screen. Am I missing something?

Kind regards,

:)

scraps, Jun 3, 2015
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Brand new Dell laptop, updated to windows 10 but can't connect to Wifi unless I'm right on top of the router (Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)) wifi card

LadyMo,

Look through the all apps list in your Start menu to see if there is a folder with Dell in its name. If there is open it to see if there is anything with a title such as Dell WiFi utility. If there is then open it and make sure that it has a setting that
    confirms that it allows Windows to control the WiFi card [check its Help & look around the various settings it makes available to you to find out]. If you cannot find such a setting then you can either spend time investigating the subject further or just
    uninstall it to make sure that it is not interfering with Windows' control of the WiFi card. It is possible that Dell no longer puts in these unnecessary utilities [Windows can manage this card without any help from Dell].

Do remember to search the forum - here's a link
    Dell WiFi 1704
    - to see if there is any useful guidance already. And search the Dell user forums & the Dell website for guidance.

Where I used revert when referring to Device manager - Device manager, {select the WiFi card}, right-click, Properties, Driver tab, Rollback driver. Then try using it again to see if the previous driver was any better.

There is one other action that will help you get back to where you started in case your early actions complicated the situation. Many people are reluctant to do this.

• Go to Device manager, look for the group Network adapters, select the WiFi card, right-click, uninstall.
    • Do the same for the Ethernet card.
    • Reboot the computer.
    • Open Device manager again and you'll find that the system has detected & reinstalled both cards. They will both have the default drivers that come with Windows 10.
    • Doing this will have established a baseline for further troubleshooting that will be clear of the settings you have changed as part of your initial response.
    • See if the Ethernet connects properly to the router [just to get this out of the way so you can then ignore it as I think it is distracting you].
    • Now see how the WiFi card behaves.
    If it is still giving poor reception, use the guide at
    Where to get hardware drivers. The initial step will be using Windows 10 to find & install any updated driver that it thinks is needed. Then test it again. Then try drivers from the WiFi card manufacturer [the initial
    product description or your purchase documentation or the Dell website will identify who made the WiFi card]. Then test it again. Then try whatever driver Dell suggests. Then test it again.

If it still does not give decent reception, contact Dell support. I imagine your warranty explains how to do so.

Best of luck,

Tryx3, Jun 3, 2015
  3. LadyMo Win User
    Brand new Dell laptop, updated to windows 10 but can't connect to Wifi unless I'm right on top of the router (Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)) wifi card

Hi,

I tried all those things and nothing worked, I had wifi in my bedroom for all of a minute and lost it again Purchase new laptop, updated, but no windows 10 :(

LadyMo, Jun 3, 2015
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Check out this post from one of our Administrators. It might give you some hints as to what to do. Also, make sure your updates are set to receive "updates and other products from Microsoft".

Reserve Free Upgrade to Get Windows 10 in Windows 7 and 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

f14tomcat, Jun 3, 2015
  5. In addition to what f14 said: Windows update must be set to Automatic to get the notification.

Win10 is still in preview, you won't get it until 29 July.

You can test drive it if you want:
    See: Home page - Windows Insider Program

Slartybart, Jun 3, 2015
  6. Banzi Win User
    I have auto updates disabled in Windows 8.1 & I have the windows icon in the system tray. It took a couple of days after manually installing the update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems KB3042085 before the tray icon appeared.

Banzi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Purchase new laptop, updated, but no windows 10 - Similar Threads - Purchase laptop updated

2. Purchased Windows 10/11 Pro license not transferring to new laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Purchased Windows 10/11 Pro license not transferring to new laptop: I have purchased a new ASUS ROG laptop that originally came with Windows 11. I upgraded the drive to a 2TB NVMe SSD, reinstalled Windows 11 then signed in with my Microsoft account. I recently tried to join it to a domain and found out that my activated copy of Windows 11 is...
  3. Purchased Windows 10/11 Pro license not transferring to new laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Purchased Windows 10/11 Pro license not transferring to new laptop: I have purchased a new ASUS ROG laptop that originally came with Windows 11. I upgraded the drive to a 2TB NVMe SSD, reinstalled Windows 11 then signed in with my Microsoft account. I recently tried to join it to a domain and found out that my activated copy of Windows 11 is...
  4. purchasing a new Windows 10 key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    purchasing a new Windows 10 key: How do I purchase a windows 10 key. windows is no longer serviced, I am installing on MacMini's Bootcamp that will only have windows 10 drivers. So I need a key to unlock win 10....
  5. purchasing a new Windows 10 key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    purchasing a new Windows 10 key: How do I purchase a windows 10 key. windows is no longer serviced, I am installing on MacMini's Bootcamp that will only have windows 10 drivers. So I need a key to unlock win 10....
  6. purchasing a new Windows 10 key

7. New laptop installed Windows 11 but I purchased it to run Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New laptop installed Windows 11 but I purchased it to run Windows 10: Today I purchased a specific laptop because the product information stated it would have Windows 10 which is what I must have for remote work. However, during the install Windows 11 was installed, unfortunately.So, I guess two questions:1. Is it possible for me to change from...
  8. New laptop installed Windows 11 but I purchased it to run Windows 10

New laptop installed Windows 11 but I purchased it to run Windows 10: Today I purchased a specific laptop because the product information stated it would have Windows 10 which is what I must have for remote work. However, during the install Windows 11 was installed, unfortunately.So, I guess two questions:1. Is it possible for me to change from...
  9. Activating error with New Yoga laptop and Windows Pro purchases update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activating error with New Yoga laptop and Windows Pro purchases update: I purchased new Lenovo laptop which shipped with Windows 10 home. I went to Microsoft web store and purchased an upgrade to Windows Pro . I can't activate this install and the upgrade doesn't have a Key # attached. In fact it will not show any details. We my IT support...
  10. Purchased a new Dell Laptop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Purchased a new Dell Laptop.: Hello, I originally signed up for Microsoft 365 a few years back. Added my wife to use additional account. She purchased a new pc yesterday. She used my user account and outlook email, psassword etc.. So the question i have is can i remove my info from her pc and add her...