Windows 10: Purchased Win 10 Pro off Ebay, but it was not Retail version

Discus and support Purchased Win 10 Pro off Ebay, but it was not Retail version in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Ok, so I purchased Win 10 Pro off of Ebay because I was looking for it somewhere cheaper. This is the link: Microsoft Window 10 Pro USB 3.0 32/64 Bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by benjamin654, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Purchased Win 10 Pro off Ebay, but it was not Retail version

Ok, so I purchased Win 10 Pro off of Ebay because I was looking for it somewhere cheaper. This is the link: Microsoft Window 10 Pro USB 3.0 32/64 Bit Full Version FQC-08788 Retail Sealed 885370903904 | eBay
    I checked the product key with ShowKeyPlus and it showed Win 10 RTM Professional OEM EULA Type: OEM. It should have said Win 10 RTM Professional Retail EULA Type: Retail. Have I been scammed? I just checked it today so I'm gonna request a full refund seeing as though I don't need another Win 10 Pro at the moment, lol.

:)

benjamin654, Apr 3, 2017
  2. mlg63 Win User

Home to Pro upgrade problems

This should help change the license if pro was installed correctly using the Win 10 Pro Pack from MS or a purchased retail version and the hardware qualifies for installing pro--

How To: Easily Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

mlg63, Apr 3, 2017
  3. Qualifying for Windows 10 free upgrade

A while ago when I purchased a new laptop I purchased from the vendor an OEM version of Windows 8 to go with it which I installed. I subsequently purchased and installed a retail version of an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro (and subsequently installed the free
    upgrade to 8.1 Pro). A search (Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder) of my Windows shows:

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre

Installed from "Compliance Checked Product" media

Product ID: 0018*-900**-78***-AB1** (some letter/numbers replaced by me with asterisks for security) match to CD Key data

CD Key: the CD Key of the Window 8 Pro upgrade

There seems to be no evidence of the original Windows 8 OEM version installation, only of the retail version upgrade to Win 8 Pro. So will I get a free upgrade to a retail version of Windows 10 Pro ?

BarryLangley, Apr 3, 2017
  4. SIW2 Win User

Purchased Win 10 Pro off Ebay, but it was not Retail version

It is retail, in the sense that it is a packaged product and didn't come preinstalled. Would be better if they described it as "system builder". It is not clear, so return it if you like.

FYI
    If anybody is using assistive technologies, win10 is available as a free upgrade via this link:

Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users

They don't seem to mind what kind of assistive tech it is, however, the upgrade assistant requires cpu nx support, oddly.

SIW2, Apr 3, 2017
  5. Yeah, I guess it is kinda my fault for not reading more clearly. It said Retail Sealed, doesn't mean it's the actual Retail version.

benjamin654, Apr 3, 2017
  6. asusG Win User
    lesson learned , try newegg next time, very reputable

asusG, Apr 3, 2017
  7. pparks1 Win User
    Did you pay less than normal price for a retail version? Usually that is the dead giveaway.

pparks1, Apr 3, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

FYI, you can just do a normal upgrade without assistive technology for free still.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2017
  9. Yes, I did pay less than normal price. And I already bought a Windows 10 Pro Retail USB Drive off Amazon for $157.68, $175.82 if you count the shipping & handling and sales tax and that came up as Retail on ShowKeyPlus. My concern is I already opened the package so I don't know if the return will be accepted, let alone contact me back for the return.

benjamin654, Apr 3, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    @benjamin654,

In the link you posted for the ebay ad, scroll down and read the info under Additional Important Information:

That would lead me to believe they were selling an OEM license for Windows 10. Especially since the words "Windows 10 Retail" in the ad is a hyperlink.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2017
  11. Superfly Win User
    There are two types of OEM...

OEM: DM are the factory installed versions

OEM: NONSLP are the system builder versions available for sale to the public.

They both subscribe to the OEM EULA, however...

Superfly, Apr 3, 2017
  12. It would have been better for them to just outright say OEM because then I would have exactly known what that was. System Builder probably would have misled me as well because I don't know if they mean the Retail or OEM version, even though I should know that also means OEM.

benjamin654, Apr 3, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

There is a common confusion that sellers often take advantage of.

The licence you bought was from the Retail Branch which has two type "Standalone" or "OEM". The problem is most people incorrectly call "Standalone" as "Retail". So the seller has legally described it correctly, but is somewhat disengenous.

cereberus, Apr 3, 2017
  14. pparks1 Win User
    I guess the pessimist in me says that if Microsoft is charging $199.99 for Windows 10 Professional Retail, and that OEM versions of the software are around $140 at Amazon and NewEgg, a vendor charging $95 for what they claim to be a retail copy of Windows 10 Pro is likely not going to be legit or certainly not exactly what it seems.

I'd say for sure that you are fighting an uphill battle if you have opened it, installed it, and now would like to get your money back.

pparks1, Apr 3, 2017
  15. I have already opened it, but I didn't install it. I only opened it for the purposes of verifying what version the license is. I got an email from eBay saying if I haven't gotten a response from the seller by April 6, I can contact eBay on April 7 and they will step in.

benjamin654, Apr 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Purchased Win 10 Pro off Ebay, but it was not Retail version - Similar Threads - Purchased Pro off

2. Had purchased a Win 7 Pro retail for a Win 10 Home computer...had software issues w/10 at...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Had purchased a Win 7 Pro retail for a Win 10 Home computer...had software issues w/10 at...: Now want to update, but won't update to Pro...so I'll lose my apps going from Pro to Home. Any work around? Some of my apps are out of support, so will no longer update, or even install the older versions. I would really hate to have to repurchase a working app, some of which...
  3. BAD RETAIL VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 PRO FROM RETAILER

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BAD RETAIL VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 PRO FROM RETAILER: I bought a full copy of Windows 10 Pro from newegg, not an OEM copy. After trying to tech the new build for 3 weekends, thinking it was a bad CPU or memory stick, I took it to the local repair shop. He tried to install from the USB and got the same blue screen I was getting...
  4. Boxed retail Windows 10 licenses on eBay

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Boxed retail Windows 10 licenses on eBay: Is this legitimate? https://www.ebay.com/itm/193358790169 What about used copies? My understanding is that retail versions are allowed to be resold....
  5. Purchased Retail digital version of Win 10 Home, Can't install on new computer.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Purchased Retail digital version of Win 10 Home, Can't install on new computer.: Good morning, I purchased a digital retail version of Win 10 Home from the Microsoft store. I have just built a new computer and am trying to move the digital licence over but there is no activation code. I went through my emails from the time but it was too long ago and...
  6. got a windows 10 pro disk off ebay

in Windows 10 Customization
    got a windows 10 pro disk off ebay: Got a windows 10 pro 64-bit disk off ebay has a key for oem software but says not a coa went to install and said was unknown publisher. Should i use this to upgrade from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro or not Thanks?????...
  7. Tranfer Retail Version of Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Tranfer Retail Version of Windows 10 Pro: I have a retail version of Windows 10 pro. I have previously upgraded my motherboard to my current board and I will be getting a new board soon. Will I be able to transfer the license to another new motherboard? If not how much is it going to cost me to get a working version...
  8. Corel Paint Shop Pro X - retail version - work with Win 10 Pro ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corel Paint Shop Pro X - retail version - work with Win 10 Pro ?: I own several graphics editing software packages but my favorite is this older program. I am currently using it with Windows 7Pro. Can anyone tell me if it will work with windows 10 Pro? My thanks, Mary 104795
  9. Is there a "retail" version of Windows 10 available for purchase?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a "retail" version of Windows 10 available for purchase?: "Retail" versions of Windows 7 can be installed multiple times on new hardware or motherboards, as long as it's only one PC per license. Is there an equivalent version of Windows 10 that carries the same privileges? I am NOT referring to the "free upgrade" or upgrading...
  10. Retail version of 10 pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Retail version of 10 pro: I've noticed that retail versions of 10 are available, do the purchasers have the same rights to chop and change as was possible with older Windows? 41814