Windows 10: put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?

Discus and support put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I work with HAAS CNC lathes and mills, which only accept FAT16-formatted USB drives. I ahve an old 2gb drive that is starting to fail so I got a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FuturDreamz, Oct 21, 2015.

1. put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?

I work with HAAS CNC lathes and mills, which only accept FAT16-formatted USB drives. I ahve an old 2gb drive that is starting to fail so I got a new drive. problem is the smallest size I could find is 8GB, which is too big for FAT16. I tried using Disk Management but the resize option was greyed out. Is there any other tool I can use? Thanks.

:)

FuturDreamz, Oct 21, 2015
  2. djassa1 Win User

the 4GB card is here!!!!

Anyway, the discussion was not on the Fat16 Barrier but on the fact that Symbian will not format or even recognize a partition more than 2GB using FAT16.

Using Fat32 this is another story and Symbian can recognize a 4GB partition but cannot format it.

djassa1, Oct 21, 2015
  3. nj7_ Win User
    Nokia 770 tablet

The limit about FAT16 is 2Gb cards. FAT32 is already possible 4Gb cards and more. Some devices deal with 4Gb cards, on FAT16 but with different cluster size.

4. zooburner Win User

put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

zooburner, Oct 21, 2015
  5. John035 Win User
  6. bro67 Win User
    The problem with the 2 GB USB sticks, is that they are charging more for those then the higher storage sized units. That is why it is becoming harder to find them. Not cheap for mfg's to produce something that is not in great demand. There are some off brands on newegg.com that are really cheap, but I would not trust them.

Amazon.com has bulk units under $30. Does HAAS have the Ethernet adapter option for that unit? Also for partitioning, you can use Gparted with Linux to shrink the drive down also.

Better idea. 2GB Flash Card with a Flash Card reader. Try that. You can get the reader for around $10, the cards for around $7. If it works, that would be the best option to go with. Take the reader with the card in it out to the floor and load the program.

bro67, Oct 21, 2015
  7. as it turns out the USB drive was DOA. It died during a standard fat32 format and refused to work after that. It was a double ended, with USB OTG on the other side so I could plug it into my phone. I have an old one I'll just continue to use.

FuturDreamz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?

1. put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick? - Similar Threads - put 4gb fat16

2. Compare performance between 12gb ram 8gb + 4gb and 8gb ram 4gb x 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compare performance between 12gb ram 8gb + 4gb and 8gb ram 4gb x 2: Hi everyone who read this post, I have a question about compare performance about ram. Please say which is better choice 12gb ram 4+8 gb or 8gb ram 4x2 gb about gaming, work like office, coder, virtual machine, etc. Thank you so much. All the ram is same as about speed bus,...
  3. Compare performance between 12gb ram 8gb + 4gb and 8gb ram 4gb x 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compare performance between 12gb ram 8gb + 4gb and 8gb ram 4gb x 2: Hi everyone who read this post, I have a question about compare performance about ram. Please say which is better choice 12gb ram 4+8 gb or 8gb ram 4x2 gb about gaming, work like office, coder, virtual machine, etc. Thank you so much. All the ram is same as about speed bus,...
  4. Compare performance between 12gb ram 8gb + 4gb and 8gb ram 4gb x 2

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My computer only see 4GB of my 8GB RAM stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer only see 4GB of my 8GB RAM stick: Hey!I have a Lenovo Yoga 500, and it is running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, 21H2. I have checked the specs, and it should be able to run 8GBs RAM. I have one 8 GB stick not 2 x 4GB and I have double checked that the RAM works on another machine, and that it is mounted...
  6. My computer only see 4GB of my 8GB RAM stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer only see 4GB of my 8GB RAM stick: Hey!I have a Lenovo Yoga 500, and it is running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, 21H2. I have checked the specs, and it should be able to run 8GBs RAM. I have one 8 GB stick not 2 x 4GB and I have double checked that the RAM works on another machine, and that it is mounted...
  7. My computer only see 4GB of my 8GB RAM stick

8. 8gb 2x 4gb kit even in bios it reads 4gb 2gb each stick but its 8gb in cpuz or task manager...

8gb 2x 4gb kit even in bios it reads 4gb 2gb each stick but its 8gb in cpuz or task manager...: My mother board is gigabyte G41MT-SP2T rev1.1 500 gb toshiba hdd 8gb ram ddr3 2x 4gb but in bios it reads 2gb each from stick in Cpu-z or Task Manager it says 8gb total 4gb hardware reserved and cpu-z says each stick 4gb heard about all timing things on ram but...
  9. A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active.: Code: DISKPART> list volume Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume 0 Z DVD-ROM 0 B No Media Volume 1 C Windows 10 NTFS Partition 80 GB Healthy Boot Volume 2 Recovery NTFS Partition 528 MB...
  10. Win 10, Format to FAT16 not FAT16 (LBA)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10, Format to FAT16 not FAT16 (LBA): Hi We have 15 win 10 tablets that read and format a PCMCIA card, this is used for data transfer from helicopter health monitoring system. After the latest update have Microsoft changed the FAT16 format to FAT16 (LBA) when formatting the using the normal Format.com in...