Windows 10: put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?

Discus and support put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I work with HAAS CNC lathes and mills, which only accept FAT16-formatted USB drives. I ahve an old 2gb drive that is starting to fail so I got a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by FuturDreamz, Oct 21, 2015.

1. put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?

I work with HAAS CNC lathes and mills, which only accept FAT16-formatted USB drives. I ahve an old 2gb drive that is starting to fail so I got a new drive. problem is the smallest size I could find is 8GB, which is too big for FAT16. I tried using Disk Management but the resize option was greyed out. Is there any other tool I can use? Thanks.

:)

FuturDreamz, Oct 21, 2015
  2. djassa1 Win User

the 4GB card is here!!!!

Anyway, the discussion was not on the Fat16 Barrier but on the fact that Symbian will not format or even recognize a partition more than 2GB using FAT16.

Using Fat32 this is another story and Symbian can recognize a 4GB partition but cannot format it.

djassa1, Oct 21, 2015
  3. nj7_ Win User
    Nokia 770 tablet

The limit about FAT16 is 2Gb cards. FAT32 is already possible 4Gb cards and more. Some devices deal with 4Gb cards, on FAT16 but with different cluster size.

4. zooburner Win User

put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

zooburner, Oct 21, 2015
  5. John035 Win User
  6. bro67 Win User
    The problem with the 2 GB USB sticks, is that they are charging more for those then the higher storage sized units. That is why it is becoming harder to find them. Not cheap for mfg's to produce something that is not in great demand. There are some off brands on newegg.com that are really cheap, but I would not trust them.

Amazon.com has bulk units under $30. Does HAAS have the Ethernet adapter option for that unit? Also for partitioning, you can use Gparted with Linux to shrink the drive down also.

Better idea. 2GB Flash Card with a Flash Card reader. Try that. You can get the reader for around $10, the cards for around $7. If it works, that would be the best option to go with. Take the reader with the card in it out to the floor and load the program.

bro67, Oct 21, 2015
  7. as it turns out the USB drive was DOA. It died during a standard fat32 format and refused to work after that. It was a double ended, with USB OTG on the other side so I could plug it into my phone. I have an old one I'll just continue to use.

FuturDreamz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?

1. put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick? - Similar Threads - put 4gb fat16

2. i just put in a new USB stick and the computer will not recognize it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i just put in a new USB stick and the computer will not recognize it: i just put in a new USB stick and the computer will not recognize it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-just-put-in-a-new-usb-stick-and-the-computer/146ca17b-b71e-4445-84d7-38e860ef0614
  3. After Adding 8GB stick unit doesn't boot properly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After Adding 8GB stick unit doesn't boot properly: Greetings, Cheese-Louise. I've been wanting to add 8GBs to my 8GB Asus Vivomini for ages. Fearful something (anything) might go wrong. And here we are. The first thing, of course, is making sure I bought the proper memory. I've checked in various sources and believe that's...
  4. USB stick in use.

USB stick in use.: Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea what. It can be empty, not formatted, formatted etc. but same thing happens. Otherwise they work fine, I can write to them,...
  5. USB stick in use.

in Windows 10 Support
    USB stick in use.: Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea what. It can be empty, not formatted, formatted etc. but same thing happens. Otherwise they work fine, I can write to them,...
  6. usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usb stick: When using the media creation tool and when you get to the part where you can choose 'create USB stick' or 'ISO file> (Rufus not shown)', is it the same either way or is one better than the other? I used the ISO file and then Rufus to create the bootable stick to install Win...
  7. Scanning a USB stick

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scanning a USB stick: What's a secure way to scan a suspect USB stick for malware/virii? I don't want to just plug it in with the possibility of getting infected. It's from a neighbour that we've known for years but I don't trust her computer skills. 92609
  8. USB Stick is not recognized

USB Stick is not recognized: I have a 16GB USB stick. It had the ISO file of Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Today I "Wiped" it using MiniTool Parttion Wizard. Subsequently it was "Formatted" using the same tool. Now I have Windows 10 Creators Update in my Laptop. However, Window Explorer does not...
  9. Win 10, Format to FAT16 not FAT16 (LBA)

Win 10, Format to FAT16 not FAT16 (LBA): Hi We have 15 win 10 tablets that read and format a PCMCIA card, this is used for data transfer from helicopter health monitoring system. After the latest update have Microsoft changed the FAT16 format to FAT16 (LBA) when formatting the using the normal Format.com in...
  10. Can I upgrade to 8GB (4gb * 2) Ram?

Can I upgrade to 8GB (4gb * 2) Ram?: My Motherboard is - Gigabyte H55M-D2H, Processor - Intel Cor i3 (2.93Ghz) Using Windows 10 pro 64 bit. My current ram is 4GB ddr3 1333mhz (2gb * 2). Will my system support 8GB ddr3 1333mhz (4gb * 2) ram? 70475