Windows 10: Put "&" in the shorcut name?

Discus and support Put "&" in the shorcut name? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Here's an interesting (I guess) thing - is there any way to put the "&" symbol into the file/app shortcut name? Windows automatically converts it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mikolajek, Dec 22, 2016.

1. mikolajek Win User

Put "&" in the shorcut name?

Here's an interesting (I guess) thing - is there any way to put the "&" symbol into the file/app shortcut name?
    Windows automatically converts it to the keyboard shortcut indicator and I'd like to avoid that.

At the moment whenever the shortcut says e.g. "Tag & Rename" I'm getting "Tag Rename" instead... *Sad

:)

mikolajek, Dec 22, 2016

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Dec 22, 2016
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Dec 22, 2016
  4. Put "&" in the shorcut name?

Add an extra space. Tagspacespace&spacespaceRename

Caledon Ken, Dec 22, 2016
  5. mikolajek Win User
    I'm afraid it looks like this *Smile :

Put "&" in the shorcut name? [​IMG]

mikolajek, Dec 22, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    Unfortunately there's just some characters that Windows simply doesn't allow in file names and it goes back a long way into the days of DOS/Disk Operating System. There's usually an error message when trying to use one of those characters and frequently shows the unallowed ones. Linux and macOS [formerly MAC OS X] operating systems have different rules, I was able to add the & to a shortcut [alias] name on my macOS Sierra desktop.

Berton, Dec 22, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    How (and where) are you creating these shortcuts? I'm at a loss trying to reproduce your problem.

Put "&" in the shorcut name? [​IMG]

Your example appears to be pinned on the taskbar. How did you put it there? What is it a link to? A folder, and executable or 'something else'?

8. mikolajek Win User

Yes, you're right - well, almost... I'm using True Launch Bar which is effectively another taskbar toolbar/folder and the problem occurs there as I don't really keep any shortcuts on my desktop.

mikolajek, Dec 22, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    I have a shortcut on my Win10 desktop that says Roxio Easy CD & DVD Burning but it was created and placed there by the installation routine for the program.

Berton, Dec 22, 2016
  10. Kari Win User
    I have no issues in using & in file and shortcut names anywhere on my system.

11. Bree New Member
    Ah! then it must be True Launch Bar that's interpreting & as the place marker for the keyboard shortcut character, not Windows 10 itself. That explains why I can't reproduce the effect.

There's a similar problem in using % inside a batch file. It's a control character and cannot be used as a character in its own right. The way it works there is that one % is seen as a control, but if you type %% it says the control you want is to use % as a character.

Try putting && in the link where you want a single & to appear.

12. mikolajek Win User
    Wow, this one has done the job as expected!!! Many thanks for your help!

mikolajek, Dec 22, 2016
  13. Bree New Member

Your welcome. I thought that would work, using a double character to say 'no, I don't want your special function' is fairly standard across a wide range of software.

PS: Now, if you typed Tag && &Rename not only would you see 'Tag & Rename' but you'd also have Alt+R as the keyboard shortcut to open it.

Thema:

1. Put "&" in the shorcut name? - Similar Threads - Put shorcut name

2. shorcut keyes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shorcut keyes: I am loosing all shortcat keyes, and I mean ALL. Once updating windows dis work couple hours, but I still have continuous problem win10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shorcut-keyes/d1112237-b175-479f-8a42-b493ca6b47c4
  3. shorcut keyes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shorcut keyes: I am loosing all shortcat keyes, and I mean ALL. Once updating windows dis work couple hours, but I still have continuous problem win10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shorcut-keyes/d1112237-b175-479f-8a42-b493ca6b47c4
  4. shorcut keyes

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Shorcuts Deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shorcuts Deleted: I recently was cleaning up my windows 11 through storage sense and deleting files i do not know, while in drive C there is not much to delete but i came across a bunch of shortcuts of all my apps i thought they are useless and delleted all of them the were in total less than...
  6. Shorcuts Deleted

Shorcuts Deleted: I recently was cleaning up my windows 11 through storage sense and deleting files i do not know, while in drive C there is not much to delete but i came across a bunch of shortcuts of all my apps i thought they are useless and delleted all of them the were in total less than...
  7. Local Disc C shorcut

Local Disc C shorcut: Is this safe to delete, I probably dragged C to D accidentally and now I'm worried deleting it will mess up my pc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/local-disc-c-shorcut/3cb6ea9c-dc5e-4ac7-afac-770728955182
  8. Ordering, putting in name and address

Ordering, putting in name and address: When I start to order something from a company, with my name and address, my desktop Windows 10 goes directly back to the home page with Icons every time. I cannot order, subscribe or anything. As soon as I type my first initial of my name....
  9. Put computer in my name

Put computer in my name: I inherited my late cousins computer. How do I remover her ownership and put my name in her place? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/put-computer-in-my-name/a1bda4b0-70de-4a7f-9de3-4283111f16e8
  10. Putting folder names in a text file

Putting folder names in a text file: I have a folder with someh hundred subfolders. Is it possible to have these folder names in a text file? 104541