Windows 10: Puzzled about HomeGroup in my network

Discus and support Puzzled about HomeGroup in my network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use network shares instead of Homegroup for file sharing Nevertheless I am puzzled why my Homegroup is behaving as described below: I have 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sportflyer, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Puzzled about HomeGroup in my network

I use network shares instead of Homegroup for file sharing

Nevertheless I am puzzled why my Homegroup is behaving as described below:

I have 3 computers on a network. All 3 running Windows 10 1709. Whenever any 2 computers are on, I get the message to join a homegroup when I click on the homegroup icon in file explorer. When a single computer is on, I get the option to create a new Homegroup in that computer. I am puzzled . Is there a homegroup established in the network? If so how to find out which computer and how to delete it ?

Tks

:)

sportflyer, Feb 23, 2018
  2. quakers Win User

Network Credentials - Windows 10

Who said anything about the homegroup.

My query was for the network that I set up, without the homegroup.

quakers, Feb 23, 2018
  3. Jay Tambo Win User
    Network Communication problem with multiple computers

I'm not talking about a HomeGroup. I am talking about my devices not showing under "Network". Not HomeGroup. This is what I'm talking about. All of my devices are on and connected to my home network and none of them show up in my network....

Puzzled about HomeGroup in my network [​IMG]

Jay Tambo, Feb 23, 2018
  4. Puzzled about HomeGroup in my network

Hi sportflyer

There are a series of Homegroup tutorials

Here is the one to leave homegroup. At the very bottom are some links to other associated Homegroup tutorials.

Leave Homegroup in Windows 10

Additionally if you right click on your network icon in the lower right corner, then "Open Network and Internet Settings", then "Network and Sharing center", then "Change Advance Sharing Settings" there should be a setting "Homegroup Connections" in which you can disallow Windows to manage Homegroup connections.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 23, 2018
  5. "Change Homegroup setting" panel does not show up under Homegroup.
    "Change Advance sharing settings " does not have "Homegroup Connnection"

I remember I did setup a homegroup in computer #2 ( I still have the pw ) way before the latest windows 10 update in all my 3 computers. I tried to connect to computer #2 from computer #3 it but it wont , it just keeps trying after I entered the PW so I stopped it. How to clean up this mess?

sportflyer, Feb 23, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Wait for the Spring Creators Update (1803) in April. Homegroups are going to be removed in the next version of Windows 10.

Are Homegroups dead? (post #2)

7. I dont use Homegroups anyway . Just curious why so such a mess now. .I will just wait for 1803 to clean up all the Homegroup mess. Tks

sportflyer, Feb 23, 2018
  8. Eagle51 Win User

Puzzled about HomeGroup in my network

Hey sportflyer,
    You can disable HomeGroups, which should clean things up and remove the HomeGroup Icon from File Explorer.

1. Make sure all PC's have left the HomeGroup or are NOT joined to a HomeGroup
    2. In Services find HomeGroup Listener amd HomeGroup Provider and set their Startup Type to Disabled
    3. Shut down ALL PC's (Restart might work, but I'd shut them down)
    4. Start each PC

Eagle51, Feb 23, 2018
  9. That worked like a charm ! No more homegroup icon. Thanks

sportflyer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Puzzled about HomeGroup in my network

1. Puzzled about HomeGroup in my network - Similar Threads - Puzzled HomeGroup network

2. Setup a homegroup or a home network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setup a homegroup or a home network.: HelloI want to setup a homegroup or a home network.The problem is that I do not manage to setup both PCs to the same homegroup.Printer tells me, that PC 1 is not in same Network as PC 2.Is the problem maybe the Devolo Powerline on which PC 2 is running?Thanks in advance for...
  3. Setup a homegroup or a home network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setup a homegroup or a home network.: HelloI want to setup a homegroup or a home network.The problem is that I do not manage to setup both PCs to the same homegroup.Printer tells me, that PC 1 is not in same Network as PC 2.Is the problem maybe the Devolo Powerline on which PC 2 is running?Thanks in advance for...
  4. About Homegroup Joining/creating Option

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    About Homegroup Joining/creating Option: hi ! I created homegroup from windows 7 , and wanted to join from windows 10 home , but I could not see any option of Homegroup to join or create in Windows 10 , but Pc in the Network was visible and opened too. But shared folder could not be opened. The shared Printer...
  5. Windows 10 - Networking (Homegroup)

Windows 10 - Networking (Homegroup): I have four devices: 1.) Desktop - Windows 10 Home 1803: Build 17134.228 2.) Black Laptop - Windows 10 Home 1803: Build 17134.228 3.) Red Laptop - Windows 10 Home 1803: Build 17134.228 4.) White Laptop - Windows 10 Home 1803: Build 17723.1000 Modem is dual band 2.5Ghz...
  6. Networking and Homegroups no longer working

Networking and Homegroups no longer working: It seems that over time networking keeps changing and what used to work no longer works. (This is for a home network of two Win 10 and one Win 7). At one point I had a homegroup setup, but I hadn't messed with it for a while and now I don't know the password anymore. I have...
  7. Puzzled about System Administrator

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Puzzled about System Administrator: In Store/Settings, I want to enable App Updates to update automatically. I read up on how to do it - discovered that as the only user of this computer I have to be an administrator, to alter the setting, yet when I go to Store/Settings/App updates, the on/off button it greyed...
  8. Lost network/homegroup sharing

Lost network/homegroup sharing: I see the following error on both my HTPC and my desktop PC. Both running Win 10 pro 64 bit. I reinstalled the intel driver on bot machines but that did not work. I power cycled the cable modem and routher, that didn't work either. I tried the winsock series on CMDs...
  9. Networking issue (Homegroup etc)

Networking issue (Homegroup etc): Hi, I have been trying to setup a network between 2 Windows 10 computers. I have tried the homegroup route but receive an error. I have turned off firewalls, AV Protection, etc. I have tried just sharing the folders out over network but cannot do it. I am stumped. I need...
  10. Homegroup/Networking Problems

Homegroup/Networking Problems: I adopted the Windows 10 preview back before July, did a fresh install and had it working with another PC here at home which was Windows 7 Ultimate x 64. The homegroup worked fine between the two... but after I upgraded the Windows 7 machine, it stopped working. I used the...