Windows 10: Q: Moving license from one PC to another

Discus and support Q: Moving license from one PC to another in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Details pls: 3 yrs ago I purchased Windows 8.1 Pro (Retail !) I reinstalled to have Windows 10 pro.Now I want buying a new PC. Can I move... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Dowin, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Dowin Win User

Q: Moving license from one PC to another

Details pls:

3 yrs ago I purchased Windows 8.1 Pro (Retail !)

I reinstalled to have Windows 10 pro.Now I want buying a new PC.

Can I move the license to the new PC?

If not:

Can I add an HDD, and change CPU?

Thanks guys Q: Moving license from one PC to another :)

:)

Dowin, Feb 27, 2017
  2. Andre Da Costa, Feb 27, 2017
  3. Jimimidi Win User
    Moving Windows 10 license from one PC to another

Is it possible to transfer a full Windows 10 license from one PC to another? This is not an upgrade, but a purchased version of Windows 10 that I may need to move to another machine in the near future.

Anybody have any insights on this?

Jimimidi, Feb 27, 2017
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Yes you can transfer the retail license you purchased for 8.1 to a new machine. You have rights to transfer the upgraded windows 10 to the new machine in place of the Windows 8.1 installation. Not both. If you have a Microsoft account linked to your Windows 10, the activation after transfer should take place automatically.

You must remove the Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Pro from the old machine to comply with EULA terms. If the old machine had a license for an earlier version of Windows, you can reinstall that older version for transfer to a new owner, or for reuse by yourself.

If, instead, you wish to add an HDD, and change CPU, that should not affect your Windows 10 installation.

Fafhrd, Feb 27, 2017
  5. Dowin Win User
    Thank you so much Fafhrd!!!

YOU ARE AMAZING!!

I couldn't expect any better answer.

I'm very glad to know my Retail license of 8 is good to serve as a 10 in a new computer.

Dowin, Feb 27, 2017
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    Your'e welcome! Welcome to Tenforums. *Smile

Fafhrd, Feb 27, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Q: Moving license from one PC to another - Similar Threads - Moving license another

2. Transfer license from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer license from one PC to another: Hi,Case #: 1047820652I'm trying to transfer the Windows 10 Pro digital license from an older PC to a new PC.I removed the device linked to the old PC from my Microsoft account and now I can't reuse that license. I know now that I shouldn't have done that.I've got two licenses...
  3. Transfer license from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer license from one PC to another: Hi,Case #: 1047820652I'm trying to transfer the Windows 10 Pro digital license from an older PC to a new PC.I removed the device linked to the old PC from my Microsoft account and now I can't reuse that license. I know now that I shouldn't have done that.I've got two licenses...
  4. Transfer license from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transferring a Digital License from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring a Digital License from one PC to another: Here's the situation: I have a two PCs. One with Windows 10 Pro activated digitally, linked to MS Account and another with Windows 11 Home Single Language that came preinstalled. Can I upgrade Windows Home in second PC to Windows Pro and transfer my license from my first PC?...
  6. Transferring a Digital License from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring a Digital License from one PC to another: Here's the situation: I have a two PCs. One with Windows 10 Pro activated digitally, linked to MS Account and another with Windows 11 Home Single Language that came preinstalled. Can I upgrade Windows Home in second PC to Windows Pro and transfer my license from my first PC?...
  7. How to move programs from one PC to another

How to move programs from one PC to another: Hi All, IT newb here. I have two identical hardware-wise PCs that I need to setup for two people. I've setup all the programs in Computer A. My question is, what would be the best way to transfer all the programs/settings from Computer A to Computer B without losing...
  8. Transferring of Licenses from one PC to another.

Transferring of Licenses from one PC to another.: Hello, I would like to transfer a Windows 10 license from on PC to another. I have purchased windows 10 home from the digital store on one of my PC's, lets call it PC1. PC1 is activated with Windows 10 Home with a "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your...
  9. Move windows 10 from one PC to another

Move windows 10 from one PC to another: When I bought this PC it came with Windows 8, then I got the free upgrade to Windows 10. I am changing the PC now but I am not able to move the windows 10 to that new pc, is that not allowed? I tried entering the product key, it did not work, then I tried activating from...
  10. Moving SSD from one PC to another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Moving SSD from one PC to another: I have 2 laptops of different brands with completely different hardware, both with Windows 10 Home. The first laptop had a 250GB SSD, and the second had a 1TB HDD. I upgraded the first laptop to a 500GB SSD, and put the 250GB SSD in the second instead of the 1TB HDD. So the...