Windows 10: Question About Defragmenting An SSD

Discus and support Question About Defragmenting An SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So every time I open up Defraggler, I see so much fragmentation in the main drive, which is an SSD. I am already aware that defragmenting an SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pepanee, Jul 2, 2017.

1. pepanee Win User

Question About Defragmenting An SSD

So every time I open up Defraggler, I see so much fragmentation in the main drive, which is an SSD.
    I am already aware that defragmenting an SSD tends to shorten its life over a period of time. Yet when you "Optimize" an SSD, isn't that doing a same amount of harm on the drive itself anyways? Because when you "Optimize" an SSD, you are writing to all the empty sections of it anyways. So If I defragment the SSD, there would be a bit more activity compared to "Optimizing" it, since I that would be moving a file from one section to the other.

I am also aware that it is completely unnecessary to defragment an SSD. The only reason why I would like to defrag my SSD is because it looks so messy in Defraggler. I won't be defragging it every day or whatever, but maybe once every few months, or when it looks sooo messy (as you an see in the picture).

So it's okay to defrag it (not optimize it) once every few months or so, correct?

Question About Defragmenting An SSD [​IMG]

:)

pepanee, Jul 2, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

W10 Cannot defrag hard drive volumes which are defined as SSDs.

Windows 10 does not defrag an SSD because an SSD should not be defragged.

BulldogXX, Jul 2, 2017
  3. Defragment & SSD

Hi.

I have installed a Samsung SSD 850 Evo on a Windows 10 build 10.0.14393.

In the Defragment software, I saw "trimmed" instead of "defragmented".

What is trim? Is it necessary to run defragment on SSD?

Running defragment makes any problem to SSD or not?

Thank you.

Reza_Mesgaran, Jul 2, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Berton, Jul 2, 2017
  5. pepanee Win User
    That search engine is specifically designed for my avatar picture. hah.
    And yes, funny signature... it's actually more complicated than it actually is, as a matter of fact. (Hint: look very closely at it; use your mouse as a precise guide)

And yes, TRIM is what "Optimize" does. (Strange how TRIM isn't automatic when you delete a file, since whenever a new file needs to be written, Windows has to TRIM that section of the SSD before using it anways)

So Defragmenting, then Optimizing, an SSD isn't really doing much harm at all anyways? Correct?

pepanee, Jul 2, 2017
  6. theok Win User
    Haven't concerned myself with defragging since the fall of '09 when the intel x-25 arrived. Having said that, the i immediate risk of shifting 10's of thousands of files around is greater than the long term harm done by defragging regularly given the petabyte plus lifespans of ssd drives.

theok, Jul 2, 2017
  7. vram Win User
    Never defrag an SSD! All you're doing is reducing its life. In this case 3rd party tools are useless. Let Windows 10 optimize the drive as needed.

vram, Jul 2, 2017
  8. pepanee Win User

theok: I never thought of it that way. That does make sense. SSD moves many files at such a fast rate of time. So physically speaking, errors could possibly happen. Is there articles that show this can possibly happen?

vram: I'm aware of what you said.

pepanee, Jul 2, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    I've used similar when trying to screw with a friend's mind.

I don't worry about the SSD but only have them on a couple of Tablets and one HP Notebook running Linux Mint 18.1.

Berton, Jul 2, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    CDO - it's like OCD except in alphabetical order the way it should be!

You can use the SSD the way it was designed to be used which is efficient, gives maximum life, and reduces chances of data corruption.

Or you can insist on turning all the little squares the same color, with no improvement in efficient, shorten the life of the SSD and increase the chances of data corruption.

But, honestly, if it makes you feel better and increases the enjoyment you get from your computer then go for it! Sometimes our peace of mind and happiness is worth paying for. I admit, it is kinda fun watching the little squares all turn the same color, and it goes so much faster with an SSD than the old spinner!

And the reason the SSD doesn't do trim when it empties a data storage location is because the exact moment that location is emptied may not be the most efficient time to write the reset command. There may be other files waiting to be read or written and the SSD can only do one data manipulation at a time.

NavyLCDR, Jul 2, 2017
  11. pparks1 Win User
    I've never been tempted to defrag an SSD. Defrags were beneficial in the old days of HDD's, as the heads were slow and having to get to file fragments in 20ms each really slowed down the box.

in the age of SSD's, they can access the same fragments in 0.1ms with no moving parts.

So, who cares if files are fragmented. You would never see the performance hit. But if you defrag the drive you certainly will use up a certain portion of your total writes.

I too started with an Intel X-25M G2. I've had it now since around 2009. Still going, no issues.

pparks1, Jul 2, 2017
  12. bobfrost Win User
    According to Microsoft, Win10 does defrag SSDs once a month as part of Maintenance. It doesn't move the data on the SSD around, but it does defrag the Windows file tables, as there is a limit to the number of fragments that a file table can hold.

Bob Frost

bobfrost, Jul 2, 2017
  13. bobfrost Win User

bobfrost, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Question About Defragmenting An SSD - Similar Threads - Question Defragmenting SSD

2. Defrag SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag SSD: I have read defragging a SSD (Solid State drive) can greatly shorten its life so i have turned off scheduled maintenance for C & D discs however it seems to turn itself back on again over time (i am not sure when) is there a way of uninstalling windows 10 defrag or a...
  3. Question about new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about new SSD: Hi, I'll get straight to the point. I've been using my HDD for a long time now and I tried to update my windows and it just wont update. Not through the updater integrated in windows, the update asistant or even using the image tool ISO or direct Upgrade. It just keeps on...
  4. Questions about moving to an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Questions about moving to an SSD: I'd like to move my Windows to from an HDD to an SSD and thought it would be a good idea to do a fresh installation while I'm at it. It's my first time doing this so I have a few questions I hope you can help me with. What is the best way to do it, a bootable USB-drive?...
  5. Defragmenting SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragmenting SSD: Hello everyone! Should I use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Defragmentation to defragment my SSD? Some internet sources suggest that SSDs should never be defragmented. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-ssd/a3aac7a1-64d5-4c2d-a1eb-7b62401e340d
  6. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  7. Question about buying a 2nd SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about buying a 2nd SSD: This would be considered for any HDD or SSD. Is there a way I can link the two drives together with the same drive letter or should I use MKLINK to create Links the second drive. Also I forget which type of link to use to directly store files to another location while not...
  8. Question about SSD RAID 0

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about SSD RAID 0: I have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I put in my personal laptop back in May. I also have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I just put in my desktop a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking about wiping both, and using both in my desktop for a RAID 0 configuration since I don't use my...
  9. Questions About Optimising SSD

Questions About Optimising SSD: Hi, I recently got a new windows 10 system with a 512 GB M.2 SSD and just got around to doing a defrag. I notice it's a bit of a different animal now, optimise seems to be the new defrag. I'm not very technically minded and I'm hoping to get some pointers. On my old HDD...
  10. Defrag questions

Defrag questions: Hi. Is there any way to schedule defrag to happen at a particular day/time? Also, what is this weirdly-named folder (picture)? Thankyou! [img] 35614