Windows 10: Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown

Discus and support Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know some people disable fast boot/hybrid shutdown but I tend to leave as much of Windows at default as possible (apart from system restore - why... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown

I know some people disable fast boot/hybrid shutdown but I tend to leave as much of Windows at default as possible (apart from system restore - why does MS disable that by default?!!!)

anyway, I wonder if the hiberfil.sys file on shutdown gets rewritten from scratch on every shutdown or does Windows just update/change it where required? It does seem a waste of write cycles if it recreates the whole file each time.

thanks, Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Sep 8, 2016

2. Microsoft must review the Fast shutdows (hybrid shutdown) in Windows 10 Takes too much time shutdown

I heve been watching forums with people who are having problems with Windows 10 fast boot/shutdown ( hybrid shutdown) and I include myself, as a reported behavior seems to be constant, the devices... laptops, desktop PCs remain in a state of shutdown,
    they are hanging on the shutdown process and takes way too much time to shutdown.

In my case, my desktop PC with Windows 10 Home 64bits and enable fast boot/shutdown (hybrid shutdown) are little faster booting up, but when you shutdown the PC its turn off the screen fast but then stays on a long time with the lights on and fans running.
    the actually shuting down takes really long time.

But when I disable boot/shutdown fast (hybrid shutdown) PC turns off completely fast

Eduardo Rojas Rodríguez, Sep 8, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Fall Creators, Auto Reopen of Programs after Restart

Hello,

Try this workaround, see if it helps you.

Shutdown PC by pressing alt+F4, and select shutdown.

Then on restart, apps do not restart.

You can also create a desktop shortcut with

c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe /s /hybrid /t 0

The /hybrid is optional, but without it, you do not fast boot.

Keep us posted, Good luck!

Kapil Arya MVP, Sep 8, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown

Out of practical necessity the hyberfil.sys file would be completely rewritten. When used with hybrid shutdown the file would contain a copy of a portion of RAM. Updating a file makes sense when the changes are minor but due to the way RAM is used in a modern OS the changes from one shutdown to the next are likely to be massive. Understand that neither the file system nor hardware allows individual bytes to be written to a drive. If even one bit in a block is changed the entire block must be written. And updates require that an initial read be done to see what changes are needed.

LMiller7, Sep 8, 2016
  5. Thank you. That's disappointing to hear since that sounds like it will be causing excessive SSD writes and significantly contributing to wear. I use the function of Fast Start/Hybrid Shutdown but sometimes find I am turning the PC two to three times a day for varying reasons/requirements. That's a significant amount of activity for the SSD to cope with. My 500 GB SSD is only half full (even after a year of owning the PC) so maybe that helps alleviate the strain on the SSD but of that I don't know. I've tried to read up on SSD longevity but sometimes the technical aspects of what I read go over my head. Unfortunately they don't seem to last long enough. I know I could switch the feature off to alleviate some of the concern but I do like the speed gain on boot even if it isn't a huge increase. It's a tough balancing act to consider I guess.

The reason I thought it might just be updating changes is purely because on shutdown it is taking a few seconds (if that) and I am surprised it is so quick to do so. I don't know how big the hiberfil.sys file would be by default on my machine with 16GB ram but if it's approx. 16GB in size it seems to be able to write it to the SSD extremely fast on shutdown.

Scottyboy99, Sep 8, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    When used for hibernation all of memory would be written to the hiberfil.sys file but for hybrid shutdown it would be much less.
    SSDs do have limited writes but that value is so high that it doesn't become a factor during real world usage. These drives usually fail for other reasons long before limited writes become a factor.

LMiller7, Sep 8, 2016
  7. anticeon Win User
    i turn off this feature bcus my HDD is cheap and not 7200rpm

anticeon, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown

1. Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown - Similar Threads - Question fast boot

2. Fast Boot / Hybrid Boot stopped working, driver-issue?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fast Boot / Hybrid Boot stopped working, driver-issue?: For years I had Fast Boot disabled because I only had a 120gb SSD and wanted to save space by not having the hibernation-file eating more. Now that I moved to a 512gb SSD I reenabled Fast Boot and it worked great for a few days but now when I shut down my PC Windows seemingly...
  3. Fast Question about Intel Rapid Storage ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fast Question about Intel Rapid Storage ?: Fast Question about Intel Rapid Storage ? I know it is for raid and I dont have any Raid Setup But I do have 2 Big SSDs one for windows and game and the other is less then a month old ssd for backups but ever sines I Installed this Rapid Storage When the app starts i get...
  4. Fast Question about Intel Rapid Storage ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Question about Intel Rapid Storage ?: Fast Question about Intel Rapid Storage ? I know it is for raid and I dont have any Raid Setup But I do have 2 Big SSDs one for windows and game and the other is less then a month old ssd for backups but ever sines I Installed this Rapid Storage When the app starts i get...
  5. Question about Proper Shutdown shortcut

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Question about Proper Shutdown shortcut: Hello, I have a question about shutdown shortcut. I have some family member who are older and cant see the Windows 10 menus even when I changed settings. I have been reading about making a shutdown shortcut for them but I am confused. I see so many examples I dont...
  6. Fast Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Shutdown: Ever since I updated my computers to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, my computers are not shutting down in fast shutdown mode. Can I turn the feature back on or is this a bug until Microsoft can update the OS with a fix? All of my computers have the UEFI BIOS. So,...
  7. 2 Questions about 'Fast Startup'

in Windows 10 Support
    2 Questions about 'Fast Startup': I got 2 questions about Fast Startup: - Should I turn off Fast Startup? I heard that keeping it on is bad for your PC. - Is it true that one should reduce the size of the hibernate file if you use Fast Startup? 61569
  8. Hybrid boot/fast startup causing system to reboot after shutdown.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hybrid boot/fast startup causing system to reboot after shutdown.: Recently I have observed that my system reboots after 1 sec when booting up. This happens only when I use Shutdown. I disabled the Fast Startup and now it boots correctly but very slow but that is predictable since it hybrid boot was disabled. I have windows 10 Home and...
  9. Can't do hybrid shutdown, despite enabled fast boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't do hybrid shutdown, despite enabled fast boot: Hello everyone. I'm writing this thread because I'm facing a behaviour of my computer I would like to change or fix, but I don't know how I should do any of these. The operating system I use is Windows 10 Home 1709 (Fall Creators Update). The undesired behaviour is that,...
  10. hybrid shutdown kernel size

in Windows 10 Support
    hybrid shutdown kernel size: hiberfil.sys size is fix. windows 10 hybrid shutdown save only kernel memory. But what is the amount of this memory? In task manager i read "Kernel WS" 1,400 MB. Do it is this? 39108